M.S. in Real Estate Development from NYU (Waste of time?)

M.S. in Real Estate Development from NYU (Waste of time?)

New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 63 votes

Let me start by saying I am a newbie to the real estate game. I have hustle, but not much else. I'm using that to rapidly increase my knowledge of the industry, and I just came across a graduate degree offered by New York University; an M.S. in Real Estate Development.

The question I want to pose is this: would this roughly two-year program be a waste of time for someone trying to increase their knowledge? And to be precise, by waste of time, I mean would I be better served to stick to real estate books, forums, podcasts, meet ups and attempt to learn the game "on my own?"

This specific degree seemingly covers quite a bit, from real estate finance, to market analysis, valuation to common legal issues. There are also courses in multi-family units and construction, which is appealing to me.

All that considered, can I learn this in a condensed format outside of this setting? You never hear of any success stories with people starting out by going to a university to learn real estate (at least I have not).

Has anyone completed or participated in a program like this?

Possibly of note, I am a Veteran, so my G.I. Bill benefits would finance near the entirety of my studies (although there are obviously opportunity costs associated with this).

Thank you for any advice and/or recommendations!


0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott WolfPro Member
Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
6y
Originally posted by @John Walter:

@Scott Wolf I was planning on doing it in order to learn “everything” I would need to know about how to get involved in creating my own portfolio. 

Admittedly, I am quite naive on what doors, career wise, this could possibly open for me, firm or otherwise.

If you're looking to learn "everything" about buying your own portfolio, it could be good.  I would say that Development may not be the best course, as it probably focuses on new/ground-up development. Probably investment or finance would teach you more about buying a portfolio.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Walter:

    Let me start by saying I am a newbie to the real estate game. I have hustle, but not much else. I'm using that to rapidly increase my knowledge of the industry, and I just came across a graduate degree offered by New York University; an M.S. in Real Estate Development.

    The question I want to pose is this: would this roughly two-year program be a waste of time for someone trying to increase their knowledge? And to be precise, by waste of time, I mean would I be better served to stick to real estate books, forums, podcasts, meet ups and attempt to learn the game "on my own?"

    This specific degree seemingly covers quite a bit, from real estate finance, to market analysis, valuation to common legal issues. There are also courses in multi-family units and construction, which is appealing to me.

    All that considered, can I learn this in a condensed format outside of this setting? You never hear of any success stories with people starting out by going to a university to learn real estate (at least I have not).

    Has anyone completed or participated in a program like this?

    Possibly of note, I am a Veteran, so my G.I. Bill benefits would finance near the entirety of my studies (although there are obviously opportunity costs associated with this).

    Thank you for any advice and/or recommendations!


    Hello John,

    Thank you for your service to our wonderful country!

    I think you raise a great question. Perhaps the best advice on the subject would come from someone currently enrolled or taking similar courses.

    That being said, I do have a colleague who is heavily involved in NY RE and is enrolled in NYU currently. I'd be happy to connect the two of you. I'll send you a private message shortly.


    Best of luck to you on your journey!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Walter:

    Let me start by saying I am a newbie to the real estate game. I have hustle, but not much else. I'm using that to rapidly increase my knowledge of the industry, and I just came across a graduate degree offered by New York University; an M.S. in Real Estate Development.

    The question I want to pose is this: would this roughly two-year program be a waste of time for someone trying to increase their knowledge? And to be precise, by waste of time, I mean would I be better served to stick to real estate books, forums, podcasts, meet ups and attempt to learn the game "on my own?"

    This specific degree seemingly covers quite a bit, from real estate finance, to market analysis, valuation to common legal issues. There are also courses in multi-family units and construction, which is appealing to me.

    All that considered, can I learn this in a condensed format outside of this setting? You never hear of any success stories with people starting out by going to a university to learn real estate (at least I have not).

    Has anyone completed or participated in a program like this?

    Possibly of note, I am a Veteran, so my G.I. Bill benefits would finance near the entirety of my studies (although there are obviously opportunity costs associated with this).

    Thank you for any advice and/or recommendations!


    Hi John, are you doing it just to learn, or are you looking for full time employment with a larger firm.  If it's the latter, the NYU program is fantastic, and offers great networking & career placement opportunities.  If it's the former, the price may not be worth it, but that's a decision you need to make for yourself.

  • New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    @Scott Wolf I was planning on doing it in order to learn “everything” I would need to know about how to get involved in creating my own portfolio. 

    Admittedly, I am quite naive on what doors, career wise, this could possibly open for me, firm or otherwise.

  • New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    @Abel Curiel Sounds great, I am looking forward to it. 

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Walter:

    @Scott Wolf I was planning on doing it in order to learn “everything” I would need to know about how to get involved in creating my own portfolio. 

    Admittedly, I am quite naive on what doors, career wise, this could possibly open for me, firm or otherwise.

    If you're looking to learn "everything" about buying your own portfolio, it could be good.  I would say that Development may not be the best course, as it probably focuses on new/ground-up development. Probably investment or finance would teach you more about buying a portfolio.  

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    It really depends a lot on your goals.  If you're looking to get into bigger development firms for whatever life goals you're pursuing this may be a path to that goal.  

    If you're looking to learn to be a syndicator, developer, etc. there are probably more efficient paths.  Having the degree won't hurt, but it is also pretty expensive in time, energy, and money.  Do the costs outweigh the benefits for your intended path?  Do you know your path well enough to decide?

  • New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Hancock As of now my goal is to build my own real estate business. I am closing on my first multi-unit at the moment, but I aim for bigger and better things. 

    With the GI Bill, I’ll end up making money, but my time is valuable as well. If this will perhaps open me up to being better rounded and building a business from the ground up, then this may be worth it. 

    I will say, I do not know if this will open up a different career path for me, as I have not fully researched that idea (although I am in the process of that as well).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.