Need Help- CARPET CLEANING EXPERTS

Need Help- CARPET CLEANING EXPERTS

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I bought a home that has been closed up for nearly a year. Carpets need cleaning, stretching and smoke smells removed. I haven't had to worry about this in a LONG time. Thirty years ago, I used to close an empty house up and mix a potion in a couple areas in the house in a bowl. I know one of the ingredients was a Pool item (ph factor, chlorine ??). There was one more ingredient- Maybe muriatic acid, bleach or something like that. It would start sizzling and emit a gas that was EXTREME! Run like heck and come back hours later. Open up the windows and it was fixed. Anyone else use something like this? Other ideas "outside" the box? Thanks. Rich

0Reply
9 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Typically for something like what you have explained, I would rip the carpet out and put a fresh coat of paint in the. New carpet and new paint will remove the smell and likely bring you a better value.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks Will. I'm actually going to be using this as a part time guys golf/cabin in Redwood country of CA. Not going to sell it and I've considered the replace idea already. I had great results with my potion and hopefully someone else used the same and I can try it again. Rich

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    I see, I am not familiar with any such potion, although I have heard others speak of them too. Hopefully someone else in the know can chime in.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Just a bump. No one knows what I'm referring to? That sucks. Anyone else had success with removing the smoke smells? Rich

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    I guess no one has your answer Rich.
    Here is what I found on the net. Looks like replacement is the best option.

    "There are some effective homemade solutions for dealing with this problem. You can fill bowls with vinegar or activated charcoal and place them in closed off rooms. You can also take small clothing items and place them in sealed bags with a couple of dryer sheets. Filling ashtrays with cat litter may also help eradicate the smell.

    When it comes to tobacco smoke, professional services are almost always required, and even they do not possess some magical potion or technique that will do the job in one fell swoop. It is definitely a process, involving a very thorough cleaning of all affected surfaces to get as much of the odor out as possible. Then surfaces are sealed to hold in any leftover odors; these surfaces may then be painted, refinished, or otherwise covered. Professional technicians also utilize units designed to treat those hard to reach areas, such as crevices or the insides of walls.

    Softer items in the home such as upholstery, clothing, bedding, or other textiles may be more resistant to odor removal techniques. In the end, many folks opt for just having them replaced. An odor removal attempt that is even 80% effective will still leave you with an undesirable smell, one that you don’t want to sleep on or wear.

    Your local damage restoration professionals should offer smoke odor removal as one of their many services. Technicians are trained and certified on the latest procedures and tools, and all work is 100% guaranteed."

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks again Will.

  • Contractor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2012 · 351 posts · 196 votes
    13y

    Hey Rich!

    I use an ozone air purifier. The one I use is offered by a MLM company called Alpine Industries. They have several models but the best one has an automatic settin so it can be used in occupied spaces and maintain an acceptable ozone level. To treat serious odor issues I close up room and run full blast for a day and then air out. They kill mold and deal very well with cigarette and cigar smoke, fresh paint smells etc. i have had customers with allergies and reactions to the formaldahide in new carpet, etc who actually bought a machine after mine took care of the problem a hand. If you google it Im sure yo can find a dealer in your area.

  • Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I know I'm late to the topic, but just in case anyone else has the same question, I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents.

    The Ozone purifier that Randy mentioned works great for my company. I've used it in countless apartments and rentals after the tenants have moved out.

    First, you must make sure that all the windows are close so you have a sealed environment. After that, simply turn the machine on and come back a few days later.

    NOTE: The Ozone machine emits O3, which is very dangerous to inhale. Once you turn on the machine, be sure to leave quickly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.