The power of intention. Any weight to it?

The power of intention. Any weight to it?

Aspiring MFR Investor - Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 7 votes

Just curious about the "rah-rah" aspect of success.

As corny as the question sounds... Does any successful investor put any weight into the idea of the power of intention?

Read plenty of "rah-rah" books... but is there an "art" to it, for practical application?

Have a great day everyone.

Thank you.

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y

I prefer the "Power of Action"... :-)

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Without any rah-rah, you are far more likely to be successful at something that you fully commit to, prepare for, and focus on wholeheartedly. There are certain;ly other aspects, but Intention is key.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I do not get much from the rah-rah books, maybe I already have enough. In fact, every time I have started to read one I have put it down and thought "this is ridiculous". Can you explain the power of intention Michael Spindler?

  • Aspiring MFR Investor - Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    James Vermillion Hello,

    I too can't read those anymore. Got the message and moving on... : )

    Specifically... My sister "intended" that she was going to live in a condo off LakeShore Dr in Chicago and drive a BMW X3. My other sister decided she was going to do equally as well.

    No matter how much I "chose" or "intend" something. I am still driving an 06 Saturn Vue. lol. Mostly just giving myself headaches thinking on stuff.

    Granted, both required funding from the opposite gender. But that which could have easily gone wrong as relations do, both are equally happy as they had some sort of mental checklist. Though it did take time.

    I may be the mutt of the litter, but we all came up the same and our thinking was "trained" for the most part the same.

    Or is it more likely that I am still living out the consequences of my past decisions. i.e. that of an employee, and that it simply takes time to turn this boat around? : )

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks for the explanation Michael. I would probably need to think about this a bit longer but off the top of my head...

    Intention is clearly important. If you do not desire something, your chances of getting it are much lower. However, intention is only one factor. Too many people want to break huge complex issues and thoughts (the meaning of life, being successful, etc) into very basic theories...it is impossible. There are far too many variables, uncontrollable events, etc for things to be broken down so easily.

    This is why I find such books to be a bit flaky. If people would spend more time on actionable items instead of getting themselves pumped up with motivational books, I believe they would have a better shot at being successful.

    And on a basic level, who cares if you are driving a Saturn Vue and someone else is driving a BMW, I know so many people who are "successful" and miserable. To be happy is to be balanced, and many people forget that as they reach for the stars.

  • Aspiring MFR Investor - Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by James Vermillion:
    To be happy is to be balanced, and many people forget that as they reach for the stars.

    Thank you James. And I could not agree more.

    Jon Klaus Thank you Jon.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    Power of intention? Bah.

    If you work *wisely* on a consistent basis, eventually you'll reasonably succeed. Some people get lucky and fall into money with little effort. Others work hard for years and end up with little left. I would say it takes consistent wise/efficient work, smart choices, a little luck and connections, some resources to start out with, and learning from one's mistakes.

    As for driving an old Saturn, beats paying a lot of money a month to finance a new BMW. I've seen people make bank for years leasing higher end cars only to have their incomes return back to middle-class. Now they have little to nothing to show for it because they previously financed their lives and paid huge interest on those high-end cars/houses/vacations.... instead of saving money when times were good. Now times are less good for them and they have no savings. Instead, they blew money for years, didn't keep their expenses reasonable, financed things (cars/houses/credit card debt) and paid the price on interest over the years.

    Flashy status symbols come at a cost for those who can't truly afford them. Especially if they're financing them. It's nuts that people on welfare have iPhones/manicures/etc. It's nuts that jobless (or low-earning) college kids are buying iPhones/iPads/gadgets, summer vacations to Brazil, designer clothes, high-end makeup/crap/haircuts, going out partying and to pricey clubs, etc. all they while they have low-income (or no income) and are living off student loans delaying their debt to future years. It's also nuts that middle-class people are financing $300,000 homes, Mercedes, etc. that they can't truly afford (at least not without financing, and not negatively impacting their savings.) The middle class is also riddled with huge student loans-- they were too "rich" to qualify for financial aid, but too "poor" to afford college in cash. These are the people that are hurting, and on a hamster wheel of debt, flashy status spending, financing what they can't truly afford, and having $0 savings. Don't even get me started on retirement planning and how that's rare.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    I prefer the "Power of Action"... :-)

  • Aspiring MFR Investor - Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Jon K. and J Scott

    I completely agree. : )

    On a side note, I do plan on paying cash for the beamer. When the time is right (i.e. $45k = 3 months cash flow). The things people finance off future EIC boggles my mind.

    For now, I am focused on saving, cutting expenses, staying single and loving my Saturn more and more for being free and clear. I will have $20K for my 1st by 09/14.

    Mr. Scott, it is funny you mention action. While I am in the saving phase, I am racking my brain developing my long term plans and balancing what is realistic and within my current knowledge level.

    I have read the 7 years to 7 figures. But I am aggressive by nature and want to push or take a more active route.

    Would anyone be willing to share their SMART plan they used to start off? I am looking for something to build around or upon. A wiser use of time would be to learn what works rather than wasting away on whimsical ideas not grounded in reality.

    Though I would be grateful to anyone for sharing... I really don't want to hear about how you took $50k out of your mattress and paid cash for your first. : ) I need to see how to wisely yet aggressively grow with $20K savings and no margin for error.

    Thank you everyone. I may be all over the map, but I can count on BP to get me grounded. Best wishes.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    13y

    I am a firm believer in self development which leads to goal setting/action. Many people that are successful already have these habits and might not "buy in to the hype" of it. There are many B/S wanna-be guru's out there. Brian Tracy is the real deal. Listening to his tapes helped me change my life. If you knew me before then, you wouldn't want to talk to me :)

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I find the Power of Grayskull most effective.

    Here's the thing. I never believed in it until my own dad, who is the most pragmatic unamused man I've ever met, told someone that when he bought his first rental, he treated it like it was 300 rentals so that when he had 300 he would be ready for them. Granted, he followed that up by busting tail for 30 years. So, power of intention is as great as starting fluid. It will get things started but you better have gas in the engine to keep it running.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.