What are your thoughts on real estate overseas

What are your thoughts on real estate overseas

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hello I was wondering if anybody has any experience with real estate overseas and how you feel about it. And, I would also like to hear some of your thought on a certain situation.

I’ve recently been thinking about partaking in an endeavor out the country, pretty much flipping some land. I was thinking of purchasing some property from somebody through a string of acquaintances. I tried to see what other land sold for in the area online and noticed things were cheaper than the price I was given for the land I was considering. My mom was telling me the price I received was actually good and that the prices I’m seeing online are most likely scams, in the country there are a lot of problems with multiple sales of the same property. My thought process is sure some of these listings may be scams, but come on are all of them really scams?... Am I wrong for being hesitant. Although right now I am really hungry to enter into an endeavor and grow my finances and feel bad about the money I have save just sitting doing nothing, I’d rather atleast hold onto money than to lose it.

0Reply
12 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    Markets are different all over the world, I'd suggest finding some agents in that country that regularly work with foreign investors and just start talking with them and explain what you're trying to do. You may find out that you can't do a fix & flip without paying a hefty tax. 

    I'm sure you and your friend have a great relationship, but a "string of acquaintances" doesn't sound like the most trustworthy source if you're going to be investing large sums of money in all honesty.

    there's a lot of homework that needs to be done. In some countries, foreigners can't even own the land, so they may need to partner up with locals. Also as a foreigner investor, it's fairly common to need to pay 50% or more for the downpayment.

    Best of luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.