Studying to become an actuary is my current position. Myself and my wife have a handful of investment properties in the Stamford, CT area that are slowly but surely appreciating in terms of rents and price (which makes me feel good although it doesn't actually matter). Figure I'd ride out actuarial profession for as long as possible to be able to alleviate any cash flow issues the properties incur in the first few years.
I was in the entertainment business for years, a real estate agent, a high-school teacher, and I've also had a TON of other side jobs
I'm jealous of you man. That's an industry i wanted to be in for a long time. I was living on disability before I got into this. It's not fun having to live on a Goverment handout each month.
Right now, I help bring buyers and sellers together. The job is so fun and I get to meet some interesting people.
Before I started facilitating 1031 exchanges I worked for a long time in the hospitality industry. While I was there my goal was always to own hotels in the long run. The minute I started keeping the books for them I realized it wasn't as profitable as I thought. I have done accounting, auditing, management and always customer service. So, my interest changed from Hotels to other types of investment property.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
19y
Well i use to work for a side contacting company that did work for the railroad company BNSF. Or Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway! i started off as a groundsman and worked my way up through as a Hostler Driver and i did a little Cone Cran work!
Computers here. Forty years this Sept. I've always been in big iron and covered just about every sphere. For 12 years I specialised in production and manufacturing systems and since moving to the USA my forte has been in mass data storage subsytems for banks...hence some good bank connections and knowledge of procedures.....hence this new field. It sure is different but a lot more interesting and less stressful
York, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 0 votes
19y
I've done a fair amount in my 35 years. Construction, farming, pizza shop, window tinting(self employed) and so on. Went to college for Computer Science then went into the Marines. Left that for software engineering and been there ever since. Last six years I have been with a large telecom doing metrics and analysis automation.
Rehabbing is a side thing. Would love to go back to being self employed, but making too much with the current job. Maybe one day.
Real Estate Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 7 votes
19y
Partime Critical Care Nurse for almost 20 years including research, organ transplant and Pharm. Rep. Got out of nursing because not enough time for the patients. Too much paperwork and policies to protect the hospital. I do miss it but I miss what it was 10 years ago.
I have an online-based retail biz in a niche area of the music industry....also have a business building custom guitars. Have previously worked in land surveying, GIS/GPS analysis with the Census Bureau, and as a geography/math teacher at the secondary school level in East Africa.
i'm a forex trader full timer right now...and other internet stuff money related...really enjoying it...hi emma leigh....you must be a good therapit....
Real Estate Agent · san antonio, TX · Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 0 votes
19y
i made a darn good living selling, of all things, business telephone systems. it was easy cash and had great benefits but at the end of the day i just wasn't satisfied. :violin:
Looking at houses all day is tons more exciting than explaining the ins and outs of a voicemail system. :lol:
Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 547 posts · 214 votes
19y
Resturant jobs.. from Dishwasher to Supervisor for a small chinese resturant.. but it sucked.. got my real estate license right out of high school but that never really took off... and im more interested in the rental side of real estate anyways..