Bloomfield NJ Watsessing station area investors?

Bloomfield NJ Watsessing station area investors?

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes

Are there any investors on BP who have property in the Watsessing Ave area of Bloomfield? I would love to connect and hear your thoughts on the area and especially market rents......

Hello BP community!  I am a new investor planning to owner occupy my first multi unit property.  I've digested a lot of knowledge and practiced running numbers over the past few months to the point where I feel well equipped (enough) to take the plunge.  One thing I'm struggling with however is my ability to really understand the local markets in some of the areas I've been targeting.

Among a couple areas, I think Watsessing Ave in Bloomfield has great transit, appropriately priced properties (cash flow opportunities), and there seems to be some serious development happening (new supermarket and luxury apts just finishing a short walk east of the Watsessing Ave station).

I've driven many of the streets and seen a few properties in the area to get a feel.  Aside from a few streets, I think it has an ok vibe to it (not North Bloomfield/Montclair, but not like rougher areas a little further south).  It's also tougher to tell in the winter months when less people are outside.  Does anyone have a good picture on the tenant class/who is renting?

I think the biggest "?" that could sink the ship is my analysis of market rents.  I do everything fairly conservatively, but a few hundred dollars off can really make or break a lot of the properties I'm seeing.  I've been looking at Trulia and Craigslist to make my determinations and understand there can be a big swing depending on the general quality of the apt.

Any insight/advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks all!

3Reply
177 views

Most Popular Reply

Glen Ridge, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 41 votes
9y

I live only a few miles from your prospecting area.  That distance can make a huge difference.  Yes you are looking at one of the rougher areas in Bloomfield.  I know the properties you're looking at and I don't see that area turning around just yet.  There's a lot of large apartment building going on but I'm concerned that there may be too much building given the number of jobs in the area.  RE investors have a tendency to overbuild capacity during boom times and we've had a long run so far.  Bloomfield schools are not the best, though some of the elementary schools are quite nice. 

Who do you want to rent to is the question?  South of the RR Tracks and east of the Parkway are not going to get the premium prices that you're seeing along Bloomfield Ave.  The Watsessing area can get a little rough.  Last fall our girls soccer team had a game canceled because one of her friends found a dead body just off the pitch near the parkway.  I like Bloomfield.  I've just decided not to invest in that section of town.  Right now I'm doing flips because going long just doesn't make sense to me given all the craziness politically.  

Have you looked at Rentometer.com?  That will provide you the higher end rents.  The area you're looking in does not draw the same kind of rent though.  I would think in the $1100 to $1500 range.  Also have you talked to any property management companies to get their take?  That is if you're going to farm that work out.  

Good luck and let me know how it goes.  All the best.   

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Glen Ridge, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    I live only a few miles from your prospecting area.  That distance can make a huge difference.  Yes you are looking at one of the rougher areas in Bloomfield.  I know the properties you're looking at and I don't see that area turning around just yet.  There's a lot of large apartment building going on but I'm concerned that there may be too much building given the number of jobs in the area.  RE investors have a tendency to overbuild capacity during boom times and we've had a long run so far.  Bloomfield schools are not the best, though some of the elementary schools are quite nice. 

    Who do you want to rent to is the question?  South of the RR Tracks and east of the Parkway are not going to get the premium prices that you're seeing along Bloomfield Ave.  The Watsessing area can get a little rough.  Last fall our girls soccer team had a game canceled because one of her friends found a dead body just off the pitch near the parkway.  I like Bloomfield.  I've just decided not to invest in that section of town.  Right now I'm doing flips because going long just doesn't make sense to me given all the craziness politically.  

    Have you looked at Rentometer.com?  That will provide you the higher end rents.  The area you're looking in does not draw the same kind of rent though.  I would think in the $1100 to $1500 range.  Also have you talked to any property management companies to get their take?  That is if you're going to farm that work out.  

    Good luck and let me know how it goes.  All the best.   

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Tim Pagano Thank you for the reply Tim, I really appreciate the info!

    That makes sense that new development may not always be a sign that things are turning in the near future.  I've read people's comments on the Parkway Lofts and how the building is nice but the area is still awful.. however there's really nothing there, whereas to the east there are at least some restaurants, new Aldi supermarket, etc.  

    I was thinking that the apartments aren't targeting tenants with local jobs, but NYC commuters since the ride from Watsessing to Penn Station is ~30 minutes during work hours.  I currently live at the 9th St Light Rail in Hoboken and they are marketing the hell out of the new apts at Watsessing and Bloomfield Ave.  Advertising 1-2 br apts "Starting at under $2k".

    Ideally, I'm looking to rent to NYC commuters/professionals who are priced out of JC/Hoboken or just want a little more space for their $...  i.e. I want to rent to myself :)  I'm not opposed to families and would ideally like to be ~2-2.3k/unit for a 2-3br/2ba, ~1600 for a 2/1, ~1300 for a 1/1.  I know you can easily get those numbers further north, but the cash flow just isn't there based on purchase price.  I am looking along Bloomfield ave, and a few blocks north/south of Watsessing.  There is also a pocket just west of the parkway, east of the park and north of Watsessing where I'm seeing some listings that look like they could cash flow.

    That's terrible to hear your daughter's friend was exposed to that.  Was this at Watsessing Park?

    Thanks for the tip on rentometer.com, looks like another good tool to try and find your center.  Do you know how they source their data?  I have not talked to property management companies and plan to self-manage, although probably not a bad idea to talk to them anyway.

    Thanks again! 

  • Glen Ridge, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Yes the body was at Watsessing.  You should read the Bloomfield master plan to see if development is headed in the right direction for your investment goals.  Keep me posted if you find something.  I would love to hear your story. 

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I'm bullish around the Watsessing station in Bloomfield @Jordan Gregg.  192 Bloomfield is spending some serious $$ on the corner of Watsessing and Bloomfield Ave.  The Parkway Lofts have done very well.  Both those large projects aren't relying upon local jobs but city jobs.  Such an easy commute from there.  I know a few investors who've gone into that market and are doing well.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Tim Pagano for pointing me to the master plan.  I will take a look and see if I can draw out any analysis - I'll be sure to keep you in the loop on what I find.

    Thanks @Darren Sager for the input, good to hear that investors are having success in that area.  Any chance you have colleagues investing in the area who might be willing to share their experiences and perspective?  I would be grateful for any extra help/introductions.  Thank you!

  • Investor · Roselle Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Hi @Jordan Gregg I have been looking at properties near Watsessing Ave. Were you able purchase a property in the area. It really seems like an area that is growing especially with 192 bloomfield ave and the aldi supermarket.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Hi @Neil Patel I put in an offer on a 4plex (26 Ella St) but got beat out by a cash offer.  I've still been keeping my eyes out.  I like the area just northeast of the train, has a very neighborhood feel and most of the houses seem fairly well cared for.  While I was touring 26 Ella, I also ran into a guy in his mid-late 20s who bought a 3plex up the street.  He said he's very happy there (never felt unsafe) and has one friend who also bought a multi around the corner.  He has another friend who is also looking to house hack in the area.  All really good signs.  Good luck!

  • Long Island City, NY · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Gregg, out of curiosity, were you able to find a property in the Watsessing area?  Bloomfield looks very promising overall given the pace of development there and the fact that Jersey City and Hoboken are too expensive these days.  Too bad you lost out on a 4-plex, they are pretty rare in the area. May I ask what kind of offer you put in and what the topping cash offer was?

    Hope your 2017 was a successful and abundant year for RE investing!

  • St Albans, VT · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    I closed on my first investment property today and it's located in this area – a two-family that I'm owner-occupying. Very excited about the development potential of this neighborhood! I also work in Manhattan so the proximity to the train is a huge benefit. 

    As a first-time buyer putting less than 20% down, it was a struggle to land a property in this area. I had been in the market for multi-families in Bloomfield, West Orange, Montclair, Belleville and Clifton since October 2016. I stuck it out though and the right one came along. Feel free to reach out if you have questions about specific neighborhoods. I've become rather familiar with the up-and-coming pockets. 

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Amanda R. congratulations on your new home.  I've joined others in that area as well.  @Thomas Lee 26 Ella is back on the market.  I've been through the house a few times for clients.  Needs a lot of work.  It was originally a single family converted into a 4 so it just doesn't work well for design.  Plus I think there's an oil tank in the back yard that hasn't been pulled.  Don't recall 100% if that's the case but it comes to mind.  It's been 6 months plus since I was there.   The house is overpriced in my opinion. Just won't be able to make enough with the repairs needed to make it worthwhile. 

  • Long Island City, NY · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Amanda R. congrats on closing! Understand the struggle to land a property...the struggle is real! Was the hard part finding a property that was affordable enough to fit within your criteria or finding sellers who were willing to accept your low DP offer? Were you using FHA financing? Do you think areas outside of a 0.5 mi radius of train stations have development potential as well? As a city dweller, I'm not familiar with the renter demo of that area and am assuming that most of the renter class are people who commute to Manhattan. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of parking near the stations so I'm wondering if you think areas further removed from transit have development potential.

    @Darren Sager thanks for sharing your perspective. Obviously been a while since you've seen that house, but how much in repairs do you estimate for a place like that? Also, newbie question: what's the problem with an oil tank? Is it the risk of environmental cleanup liability if there's soil or groundwater contamination? Or is it a code violation?

    Happy new year to all!

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Thomas Lee I don't think the house has gotten any better since I last was in it, only worse probably with no one living in it or maintaining it.  Easily 6 figures in repairs in my opinion, hence the reason why it hasn't closed.  

    As for any oil tank, if they're leaking oil into the ground then yes you have an environmental issue to deal with.  It's not a code violation however I don't think they allow you to bury them underground anymore.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    @Thomas Lee I closed on a 3plex on Willow St at the end of September (203k financing) and am just about to finish renovation (permits took a little longer than expected and this weather isn't helping the final mile).

    Regarding 26 Ella, my offer was around 365 with 203k financing (3.5% down).  My underwriting had me around break-even... not a killer deal by any means but between the low money down, rent savings,  principle paydown, and most importantly the experience... I really just wanted to get in the game.  My realtor said the seller went with a cash offer for 355k no inspection, no appraisal and closing in 21 days... tough to compete.  Not sure how/why it fell through but I saw it come back on the market as well.  

    @Darren Sager The latest listing I saw for 26 Ella said the oil tank was removed.. not sure if they have a No Further Action from the state or not.  I also agree, the property needs a lot of work and the apartments are not laid out very well.. especially that wonky top floor bathroom :)  

    Thomas, also keep in mind some banks may not lend on a property with an underground oil tank.. I believe FHA won't lend if there are any oil tanks, even if they are not in service - although they can be removed as part of 203k improvements.

    @Amanda R. Congrats! Where is your property? It must have been very difficult to find a two family with solid numbers in that area. Glad that your patience paid off!

  • Investor & RE Agent · Clifton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Hey @Jordan Gregg,

    I closed on a 3 family house on Grace St, Bloomfield in early December, and your estimated numbers aren't far off. My units all need TLC but rents are $1,100 (2/1), $1,200 (1/1), & $1,500 (2/1) with room to grow since I inherited and kept the old tenants. With some TLC and updates these units should be able to get at minimum $1,500. Obviously, the sweet spot of Bloomfield Ave is between Valley and Grove St, and on the West Side of it. I truly feel like you can't go wrong in that area, because renters want to be in that downtown area. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Fred N. and nice job on your purchase!  There is definitely a lot of activity in the area right now.  Three out of four of the worst houses on the block (including mine) have all been sold and renovated in the past 6-8 months.. and the 4th was just foreclosed on, bank did minor fixes and are putting it up for sale.

  • Property Manager · NJ · Member since 2017 · 786 posts · 396 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Gregg Id agree with @Darren Sager I think Bloomfield is a smart investment just make sure you market your rental to the right clients and make sure that its upgraded to attract that commuter (don't over update though) I bought a SF that Im going to rent spring of 2019. Rent-o-meter is an ok barometer for prices but thats for average units in fair condition, with a good marketing plan, solid upgrades and some value add you should be able to get more than the average going rental rate for your units 

  • Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I closed on a 3-family on Montgomery street. Huge lot and 2-car garage.

    I raised the rents right after closing, keeping one existing tenant. 

    1-1 $1850 (partially finished basement with bath).

    3-1 $1450 (existing tenant)

    1-1 $1000

    For a total rent roll of $4300. 

    I’m very happy with the investment so far and looking for more in Bloomfield.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Hey everyone,

    I am also very interested in the Bloomfield area. I feel like there is a lot of potential. I am looking to purchase my first property in this area. I would like to do a "house hack" on a three family, as I found that the numbers just really do not work for two families with the taxes in northern NJ being so high. The only problem I feel I may run into with a three family is that my debt to income ratio my not be high enough for an FHA loan on a three family property. My understanding is that for first time investors potential rental income is not calculated when applying for the loan. Does anyone have any insight, tips, or advice? I am open to considering other strategies I just really like the house hack idea and think it would be a great way to get my investment career started. Any help would be much appreciated!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rutherford, NJ · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 91 votes
    8y

    @Tim Steward the easiest way to find out what you qualify for is to talk to a lender. I'm in the process of closing on a 203k loan for a 3 family in Bloomfield and have been pretty happy so far with my lender. Happy to put you two in touch if you're interested.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Alex V. Yeah, definitely that would be much appreciated!
  • Montclair, NJ · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Gregg:

    @Thomas Lee I closed on a 3plex on Willow St at the end of September (203k financing) and am just about to finish renovation (permits took a little longer than expected and this weather isn't helping the final mile).

    Hi - I'm very interested in that area too but wasn't successful...still looking.  Congrats on your purchase and completion of renovation (I hope).  I purchased a property further up off Bloomfield Ave and am looking for contractors.  Do you have contractors you would recommend?  

  • Rental Property Investor · bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    You guys who own multi-families around Watsessing train station, are your renters young people commuting to the city? I am looking in the area, but the thing I can't get by is how Dodd st has nothing to offer commuters. Where do you all shop? If you are commuters, do you just go straight to the train in the morning? What a waste.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    @Tenzing Jangtey Sorry, I missed this.  Congrats on your purchase as well!  I have been very happy with my contractors.  PM me for details.

    @Matthew Palumbo We just rented a 3/1 and a 2/1 on Willow St.  We showed the apartments probably 40 times over a couple weeks.  It was good mix of potential renters.  Young professionals - some groups of friends, some young families - not all of them commute to NYC.  Families with older/grown kids.  A few students at Montclair State.  To give you an idea... we ended up renting the 2/1 to two 20-something friends, one works in Elizabeth and the other goes to grad school in the city.  The 3/1 we rented to a late 50s couple with an elderly parent and their college-aged son who is home on breaks.  One works for MTA, other is a teacher in Union county.  We live in the building as well.. I work in IT from home mostly and my fiance is a nurse in Newark.

    Regarding shopping.. you're right Dodd st doesn't really have anything to offer.  There is a small cafe that opened recently called Iron Horse on Watesessing.  Nothing fancy, but coffee and solid breakfast sandwiches.  I think people in this area who do commute take advantage of the easy train access and affordability compared to other areas with a stronger commercial presence like downtown Bloomfield and up through Montclair.

  • Rental Property Investor · bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Gregg this is excellent info, thank you very much for being so candid. If you had a choice to put a business on Dodd st, what would you like to see pop up? I own 7 acres on Arlington ave, I’m very interested in seeing where this little pocket of Bloomfield goes. I really think, given the right improvements, this could be a great area in the future. How do you like the neighborhood so far?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    @Matthew Palumbo I agree and think there's a lot of potential although it may take some time.  With the relatively recent addition of the Grove at 192 and Parkway Lofts... there should hopefully be an increase in demand for walkable areas near the train.  Personal opinion.. a couple restaurants/bars, a general convenience store, and a CVS/Rite-Aid would make a huge difference to foot traffic and a neighborhood feel.  There is Bachman's market (convenience store) at Dodd/Prospect in East Orange, but it feels completely different on that block.  There are plenty of grocery options in the area and a lot of people have cars.. so probably not needed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.