Not sure what to do with this house--dad owes 50k, needs work

Not sure what to do with this house--dad owes 50k, needs work

Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 18 votes

I will try to be as detailed as possible, and am very open to suggestions. The house is owned by my father, but I currently live in it--basically to help him out of a bad situation. My parents were divorced, he refi'd to pay her off in about 2006. He owes approx $50k and the house is in poor condition. Recent sales in the neighborhood were 40-80K depending on condition, all similar size and layouts(large yard, detached garage, 1500-1700 sqft). I would like to turn this into an OK investment for myself rather than a huge nightmare for my dad. I know there are better opportunities for me, but I also want to help my dad out who was always there when I needed him. He wants nothing to do with the place and has no money to work with.

The lower level needs new flooring, kitchen, bathroom, and should be drywalled as it is currently a combo of plaster and wood paneling. The foundation is made of field stone. I've replaced all electrical upstairs, but the lower level is knob and tube, the plumbing is in poor condition. I replaced the main vent stack a few years back, but the plumbing is all galvanized and I have had to replace quite a bit already. I think it should all be replaced.

It needs a new roof and I got an excellent quote of $5k from the guys doing the upstairs--normal cost would be 7-8.

I am currently remodeling the upstairs, including adding a half bath.

Currently I am paying the mortgage and property tax.

$350/mo mortgage, not sure on terms but this should be refinanced

$175/mo property tax

It is located in Wisconsin. House is 3 bedrooms plus 2 walk-thru rooms upstairs that were also used as bedrooms. I would consider this a 3+.

Area rents for a 3 bedroom are 500-750/month

Area rents for 4 bedroom 765(real dive)-1200/month

I believe it could support $900 after repairs. $750 would be very low end. That's a large range because of the walk-thru rooms and lack of closet space.

In it's current condition, my dad would have to bring 20k+ to the table to sell the house. He cannot afford this, so I am looking at the best possible solution. He wants nothing to do with the property, but also will not foreclose or short. I have effectively taken over the place, but for the cost remaining on the house know that I could pick up 2 other properties in the area. I don't want to drop it on my dad's shoulders and walk away, so I am hoping to find a way to make this a decent investment.

0Reply
11 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Greenback, TN · Member since 2012 · 269 posts · 115 votes
    12y

    @Steve Foth , That's a tough call to make. There are a lot personal factors that you will have to work through that makes it difficult to give advice from the outside. My gut reaction is that this sounds like a project that would be best suited for an owner/occupant/handyman. In other words, the person living there needs to also be the person fixing the house. You might be able to find an ambitious construction worker that would be willing to trade repairs for part of the rent. If you can collect enough in rent to just cover the major debt service and accept the rest in the form of appreciation that your renter is adding by fixing it up for you....you both win.

    Just a thought. Hope it works out well for you!

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    There's some info that seems contradictory. You say your Dad wants nothing to do with property. But then you say he won't consider a short sale or let it go to foreclosure. If you stop paying the mortgage it will go to foreclosure. If he decides to save it from foreclosure, then it's not true that he wants nothing to do with it. He can't have it both ways.

    Are the property taxes really $2100/yr on such a low valued house?

    Are you certain of re-sale value? Have you consulted an agent on what it would sell for in it's current condition? Unless you really study and have data on what sells, who it sells to and for how much, you might just be guessing.


  • Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the replies. To clarify, he will not stop paying on it, but could hardly afford the payments. He doesn't morally believe in walking from the home that he owes money for. If I stop paying, he will continue paying, but will not rent it, will not live here, and will not be able to sell it.

    Yes, the property tax is ridiculous. Tax assessment is 94000 due to lot size and home values from a decade earlier. This could possibly be lowered at some point, but it is inline with the taxes on other neighborhood homes.

    We had an agent look at it 5 years ago and were given a list that needed to be fixed before it could be sold. Nothing has been corrected besides the upstairs I am doing right now. I am more or less guessing on the current sale value based on the issues that will make financing impossible. Sounds like an investor-only type situation, and there are better options out there right now.

    @Michael Woodward That's basically what I am doing right now. Living here and fixing it. I've hired a local handyman to work by the hour. But honestly, I will not be here 2 years from now. I'd like to see a resolution before then. I can't stand seeing my dad burying his head in the sand and expecting it to resolve itself.

  • Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    @K. Marie Poe Oh, and he did talk to his credit union about heloc, but they will not help at all because of the loan to value.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Properties are sold as-is every day. An agent's advice from five years ago is meaningless, especially if they were assessing the property to make it FHA ready.

    Ask an agent to come and evaluate the property for an as-is sale. Don't get an appraisal. You want to work with an experienced agent that knows what sells and who the cash buyers are.


  • Flint, MI · Member since 2013 · 106 posts · 38 votes
    12y

    What are your options?

    A) Convince your dad to let it go to the bank. If the title is clear, they may accept a deed in lieu.

    B) Ask your dad for a specific power of attorney for this property and sell it via short sale so he doesn't need to sign or think about it.

    C) Have him deed it to you, and continue making payments as you fix it up for sale or rent, knowing you probably won't make money on it (unless you hold it very long term) and with any luck you might break even.

    If you choose C, then you need to determine if you want to get your cash out quickly so you can use it elsewhere or if you want to stay in it long term as a rental, perhaps refinancing in the next year. Either way it seems a little skinny to expect to make money on it.

    But first you need to decide if C is the best option for you.

    Most states offer a process for appealing an assessment. A phone call to your county assessor should give you answers on that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.