Interested in Agriculture zoning, USDA loans -- is this a good strategy?

Interested in Agriculture zoning, USDA loans -- is this a good strategy?

Realtor · New Castle, CO · Member since 2022 · 93 posts · 58 votes

Hello BP world! My partner and I have been tossing around the idea of investing in agriculture land, preferably something with a livable structure so we can buy it as a primary and hack/lease the land. I've heard you can purchase with a USDA loan at $0 down, but I know there are caveats. Has anyone done/explored this before and can shed light on the pros/cons?

1Reply
34 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Brittany Guimond

    I've brokered USDA loans for purchases of single family homes.  The main issue is your income can't be too high.

    But, I think there is a different USDA program for buy agricultural land, however.  But, since I'm not in that space I'm not sure.  The loan product could be, and is, probably different.

    As for an investment, you'd have to run your numbers and check your market --- "city/suburb boy" over here.  Are you doing some sort of "gentleman's" farming where you aren't the farmer, but you basiclaly hire one?  With how difficult I thought it was to make a profit farming, I didn't think this would go well.

    Good luck.

  • Realtor · New Castle, CO · Member since 2022 · 93 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    Thanks @David M.!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.