Anyone Signed Up with S8 Academy - Section 8 Housing Program?

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 12 votes
1y

I signed up with Section 8 Acquisition in January, I have to say that although everything took longer than they said, overall its been a pretty positive experience. My wife and I are pretty happy with the first property we closed on, it was off-market, and we got a good deal. Placing a tenant took a while (4 weeks). I was alot more skeptical than my wife was about working with them, but i do have to say that their communication has been responsive and they have delivered on everything they said they would, so I have no complaints so far anyway. Will do another post after 12 months as we have only gotten 1 month of rent thus far. 

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Paying for a Section 8 investment course is the equivalent of an aspiring cook paying for a course titled: How To Boil Water

    • Joe S.Pro Member
      Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      Paying for a Section 8 investment course is the equivalent of an aspiring cook paying for a course titled: How To Boil Water

      It’s a great course.  I highly recommend it.  You’d be surprised how many people can’t boil water!  Plus, the second course is how to butter toast!  This course was also very informative.
      Mike,
      what kind of price did they charge for the course and what did it entail?
    • Joe S.Pro Member
      Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Joe S.:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      Paying for a Section 8 investment course is the equivalent of an aspiring cook paying for a course titled: How To Boil Water

      It’s a great course.  I highly recommend it.  You’d be surprised how many people can’t boil water!  Plus, the second course is how to butter toast!  This course was also very informative.
      Mike,
      what kind of price did they charge for the course and what did it entail?

      It was $99.95, but I had a 99.95% off promo code.  It was a pretty good deal.  They showed us the proper way to add water to the pan, turn on the range and most importantly, shut it off once little bubbles are present.  It was truly a fascinating experience.

      The second course, how to butter toast was a bit more complicated.  There were more steps involved.  My promo code didn't work for that course; unfortunately.
      OK, no problem with $99. Even if they didn’t have a promo code.

      So how much did they charge for the one that did not have a promo code?
    • Joe S.Pro Member
      Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Joe S.:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Joe S.:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      Paying for a Section 8 investment course is the equivalent of an aspiring cook paying for a course titled: How To Boil Water

      It’s a great course.  I highly recommend it.  You’d be surprised how many people can’t boil water!  Plus, the second course is how to butter toast!  This course was also very informative.
      Mike,
      what kind of price did they charge for the course and what did it entail?

      It was $99.95, but I had a 99.95% off promo code.  It was a pretty good deal.  They showed us the proper way to add water to the pan, turn on the range and most importantly, shut it off once little bubbles are present.  It was truly a fascinating experience.

      The second course, how to butter toast was a bit more complicated.  There were more steps involved.  My promo code didn't work for that course; unfortunately.
      OK, no problem with $99. Even if they didn’t have a promo code.

      So how much did they charge for the one that did not have a promo code?

       $149.95.  It was a bit pricey.  Class three is how to scramble eggs.  It's getting tougher.  These classes are intense.


       $150 is not pricey so you’re good in my book. :-)
      I guess you’re keeping what you’re learning to yourself instead of posting it here but if it’s helping you that’s great. :-)

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 5 votes
    1y
    I've taken some of the other courses. They don't teach much.  It's all common sense stuff you might as well just watch a 10 min youtube video and be on your merry way
  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 2 votes
    1y

    they are scammers, stay away, i spoke with them, i asked tell me one deal, they are asking firt pay 10k. 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    I wouldn’t recommend S8Academy. They have another business named S8 Acquisition. They seriously overpromised in the beginning to get you excited and sign up, but after a couple of weeks, the reality didn’t match the hype. I regret paying for their service. They haven’t provided a single decent property to start a Section 8 investment, and when I asked for a refund, they refused. Overall, it’s been a frustrating and disappointing experience

    • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Liz Tjas:

      I wouldn’t recommend S8Academy. They have another business named S8 Acquisition. They seriously overpromised in the beginning to get you excited and sign up, but after a couple of weeks, the reality didn’t match the hype. I regret paying for their service. They haven’t provided a single decent property to start a Section 8 investment, and when I asked for a refund, they refused. Overall, it’s been a frustrating and disappointing experience


       Hey Liz

      Did they ever come back with better investments? I'm on the fence trying them out.

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 5 votes
      1y

      @Jong Sok Not at all. They just give you the list of properties you can find on Zillow (honestly, you can find better properties on your own) and then they're like 'we provided you the properties so can't give you the money back'. 

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Liz Tjas:

      I wouldn’t recommend S8Academy. They have another business named S8 Acquisition. They seriously overpromised in the beginning to get you excited and sign up, but after a couple of weeks, the reality didn’t match the hype. I regret paying for their service. They haven’t provided a single decent property to start a Section 8 investment, and when I asked for a refund, they refused. Overall, it’s been a frustrating and disappointing experience




      S8 Academy & S8 Acquisitions are 2 entirely different, unrelated companies.
    • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Jong Sok can you report on your experience with s8 I'm looking into joining them now

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Section 8 Academy is a problem i've heard based on the gentleman who runs it. The other commenter said S8 Acquisitions is the same company but everything I looked into shows they're separate. I did a turnkey property through another company for traditional real estate and it worked out so i'm going to give one a shot after I learn about them.

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Anthony Boyd:

      Section 8 Academy is a problem i've heard based on the gentleman who runs it. The other commenter said S8 Acquisitions is the same company but everything I looked into shows they're separate. I did a turnkey property through another company for traditional real estate and it worked out so i'm going to give one a shot after I learn about them.


       S8 Academy & S8 Acquisitions are 2 entirely different, unrelated companies.

    • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Anthony Boyd:

      Section 8 Academy is a problem i've heard based on the gentleman who runs it. The other commenter said S8 Acquisitions is the same company but everything I looked into shows they're separate. I did a turnkey property through another company for traditional real estate and it worked out so i'm going to give one a shot after I learn about them.


       Y que tal seccion 8 actualmente? Te funcionó? 

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 12 votes
    1y

    I signed up with Section 8 Acquisition in January, I have to say that although everything took longer than they said, overall its been a pretty positive experience. My wife and I are pretty happy with the first property we closed on, it was off-market, and we got a good deal. Placing a tenant took a while (4 weeks). I was alot more skeptical than my wife was about working with them, but i do have to say that their communication has been responsive and they have delivered on everything they said they would, so I have no complaints so far anyway. Will do another post after 12 months as we have only gotten 1 month of rent thus far. 

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      I signed up with Section 8 Acquisition in January, I have to say that although everything took longer than they said, overall its been a pretty positive experience. My wife and I are pretty happy with the first property we closed on, it was off-market, and we got a good deal. Placing a tenant took a while (4 weeks). I was alot more skeptical than my wife was about working with them, but i do have to say that their communication has been responsive and they have delivered on everything they said they would, so I have no complaints so far anyway. Will do another post after 12 months as we have only gotten 1 month of rent thus far. 

      @Account Closed how long did it take to close on your first property from the time you signed up?

    • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Felipe Renteria looking into starting with them now, any thoughts on their services?

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 1 post · 7 votes
    1y

    From my understanding, S8 Acquisitions is not connected to S8 Academy whatsoever, and my experience with S8 Acquisitions has been nothing but positive. The team is professional, transparent, and clearly dedicated to what they do. They communicated well throughout the process, answered all my questions, and made everything feel smooth and straightforward. Eager to scale my portfolio with them and highly recommend S8 Acquisitions.

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      From my understanding, S8 Acquisitions is not connected to S8 Academy whatsoever, and my experience with S8 Acquisitions has been nothing but positive. The team is professional, transparent, and clearly dedicated to what they do. They communicated well throughout the process, answered all my questions, and made everything feel smooth and straightforward. Eager to scale my portfolio with them and highly recommend S8 Acquisitions.

      @Account Closed how many properties have you acquired from them and how long did it take to close on your first property from the time you signed up?

  • Andres RiveroPro Member
    Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 19 votes
    1y

    We just started with S8 Acquisitions, which is not S8academy. S8 Acquisitions does state that they offer an all-in-one experience. The acquisition of the property, the PM and it can be section 8 tenants if you wish. Thus far, you pay up front the wholesale fee of $15,000 for three properties. The properties will be sent to you via a portal. We started back in late May and received 6 properties to make offers on. Most were MLS properties and not meeting our requirements. Our loan officer said to keep it at a DSCR ratio of 1.2 or higher for the DSCR loan. We are having a hard time finding that DCSR Ratio without having to lowball the offer to almost half the asking price. We choose to use the Affirm payment plan because we did not want to pay the wholesale fee upfront. However, S8 did mention over the call that they would refund us the fee if not happy.

    • Investor · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 33 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andres Rivero:

      We just started with S8 Acquisitions, which is not S8academy. S8 Acquisitions does state that they offer an all-in-one experience. The acquisition of the property, the PM and it can be section 8 tenants if you wish. Thus far, you pay up front the wholesale fee of $15,000 for three properties. The properties will be sent to you via a portal. We started back in late May and received 6 properties to make offers on. Most were MLS properties and not meeting our requirements. Our loan officer said to keep it at a DSCR ratio of 1.2 or higher for the DSCR loan. We are having a hard time finding that DCSR Ratio without having to lowball the offer to almost half the asking price. We choose to use the Affirm payment plan because we did not want to pay the wholesale fee upfront. However, S8 did mention over the call that they would refund us the fee if not happy.

      @Andres Rivero If you are not finding deals meeting a 1.2 DSCR please reach out to me. I am not a realtor, just an investor, but happy to show you these deals and how I underwrite them, etc. I only invest in Section 8 properties and am very weary of the companies that I have seen "helping" investors in section 8.

    • Joe S.Pro Member
      Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andres Rivero:

      We just started with S8 Acquisitions, which is not S8academy. S8 Acquisitions does state that they offer an all-in-one experience. The acquisition of the property, the PM and it can be section 8 tenants if you wish. Thus far, you pay up front the wholesale fee of $15,000 for three properties. The properties will be sent to you via a portal. We started back in late May and received 6 properties to make offers on. Most were MLS properties and not meeting our requirements. Our loan officer said to keep it at a DSCR ratio of 1.2 or higher for the DSCR loan. We are having a hard time finding that DCSR Ratio without having to lowball the offer to almost half the asking price. We choose to use the Affirm payment plan because we did not want to pay the wholesale fee upfront. However, S8 did mention over the call that they would refund us the fee if not happy.

      However, S8 did mention over the call that they would refund us the fee if not happy.

      I’m skeptical. For your sake, I hope it works out.🧐 

  • Andres RiveroPro Member
    Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 19 votes
    1y

    @Account Closed lets connect. I would like to hear your experience.  

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 33 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Rhett P.:

    I don't see much information regarding this company. 

    https://s8academy.com/section8

    Or have you had any good experience with any other programs?

     @Rhett P. I'd be happy to talk you through section 8 top to bottom any time. This is all I invest in and I believe I can answer just about all of your questions! 

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    @Rhett P. did you end up going through with it? How has it been if so

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Signed up in August, talked with an agent and still waiting for a pre-approval letter. Got some listings yesterday that I asked for more details on but otherwise, nothing yet.

    • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Greg Wong:

      Signed up in August, talked with an agent and still waiting for a pre-approval letter. Got some listings yesterday that I asked for more details on but otherwise, nothing yet.


      Hi! Im About to Sign Up with S8 Acquisition Soon. Did You Acquire Any Properties Yet ? 

    • Investor · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 33 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @NA Kelly:
      Quote from @Greg Wong:

      Signed up in August, talked with an agent and still waiting for a pre-approval letter. Got some listings yesterday that I asked for more details on but otherwise, nothing yet.


      Hi! Im About to Sign Up with S8 Acquisition Soon. Did You Acquire Any Properties Yet ? 


       Please do not pay for this service. I will help you find great properties at no charge and will show you how to underwrite them and everything, so you can do it on your own without getting screwed on management fees and a large upfront charge. 

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
      11mo
      Quote from @NA Kelly:
      Quote from @Greg Wong:

      Signed up in August, talked with an agent and still waiting for a pre-approval letter. Got some listings yesterday that I asked for more details on but otherwise, nothing yet.


      Hi! Im About to Sign Up with S8 Acquisition Soon. Did You Acquire Any Properties Yet ? 


       Not yet. I got proformas for properties in Detroit and Memphis but they were either bigger than I wanted to invest in or required too much work. Also, their numbers are overly optimistic. 

    • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Michael Goldberg:
      Quote from @NA Kelly:
      Quote from @Greg Wong:

      Signed up in August, talked with an agent and still waiting for a pre-approval letter. Got some listings yesterday that I asked for more details on but otherwise, nothing yet.


      Hi! Im About to Sign Up with S8 Acquisition Soon. Did You Acquire Any Properties Yet ? 


       Please do not pay for this service. I will help you find great properties at no charge and will show you how to underwrite them and everything, so you can do it on your own without getting screwed on management fees and a large upfront charge. 


      Hello Michael!!
      I'm new here. I would like to learn more about your expertise in finding properties, how to underwrite them and everything else. 
      Are you still available for that?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    11mo

    Going to go with, https://s8acquisition.com/ is a scam.

    1) Their website has zero information, it's just marketing crap.

    2) None of the pics show 1-4 family houses that they are trying to sell you.

    3) The pics are all glamor shots, not the reality of Section 8 housing.

    4) The principals under their "About" page are trying to project wealth & success - which is all markeing, NOT reality!

    5) Where are the 400 properties they supposedly manage? What do they look like? Where are sample properties?

    6) Where's any info about Section 8?

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      Going to go with, https://s8acquisition.com/ is a scam.

      1) Their website has zero information, it's just marketing crap.

      2) None of the pics show 1-4 family houses that they are trying to sell you.

      3) The pics are all glamor shots, not the reality of Section 8 housing.

      4) The principals under their "About" page are trying to project wealth & success - which is all markeing, NOT reality!

      5) Where are the 400 properties they supposedly manage? What do they look like? Where are sample properties?

      6) Where's any info about Section 8?


       Looks like they took the site down lol.

  • Lender · Dallas area, TX · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8mo

    Stay far away from these people.  They have more lip service than a 20 dollar escort

  • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7mo

    Don’t do it with S8 Acquisition. Nothing special with them. They also have add ons even after spending so much upfront. the Properties they give you are on Zillow. Save your money and try into find the deals yourself. You also pay them an extra $300 for every deal they find you which btw is easily found on the listing sites! Lesson learned. They will also not refund you if they say they will make sure to get that writing of course. They also charge $100 for someone to go out to the property to see if it’s section 8 ready. Upfront fees are huge that you would think it comes with the service they provide. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.