How to find JV partner in rural areas?

How to find JV partner in rural areas?

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hey BP, I have been looking to get back into real estate investing (I used to have a small portfolio of small multi families that I sold) and I can across a great deal on a 29 unit well under market value. It’s a mix of single families, duplexes, triplexes, 4 and 5 plexes and they are are side by side on the same street. Average price per unit for small multi families here in rural northern PA is 45-50k. The seller of this portfolio said that he would let it go for 35k/unit. These are nice for the area, updates flooring, hvac, electrical, roofs, some having granite countertops etc.

I would love to be able to tackle this deal but it looks like I would need to bring in a partner. The closest REI meetup is for an area 75 miles away. Where would you find a JV partner for a deal like this? Or should I just try to wholesale it as I know that there is plenty of meat on the bone. I tried to buy just 2 of the 4 plexes but the owner wants to keep them as a bundle.

1Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry Noble JrPro Member
Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8mo

So some investors are scared of rural areas unless the economic growth potential fits it. I would find someone local that knows the area. 

I would look into wholesaling lets say 25 and see if you can get 4 units (which could be 2 duplexes or 1 4 unit) out of the deal for you to keep. 

im down to help you think this one through

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    So some investors are scared of rural areas unless the economic growth potential fits it. I would find someone local that knows the area. 

    I would look into wholesaling lets say 25 and see if you can get 4 units (which could be 2 duplexes or 1 4 unit) out of the deal for you to keep. 

    im down to help you think this one through

    • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
      Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:

      So some investors are scared of rural areas unless the economic growth potential fits it. I would find someone local that knows the area. 

      I would look into wholesaling lets say 25 and see if you can get 4 units (which could be 2 duplexes or 1 4 unit) out of the deal for you to keep. 

      im down to help you think this one through


       unless the economic growth potential has great upside*

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    8mo

    That’s some good insight! I’ve never done wholesaling before. I know enough local investors who would each be interested in a couple of these as well and I could cherry pick the ones I want. Thanks Kerry!

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    no problem

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    8mo

    That's a solid spread at $35k/unit if they're renovated like he says. Just make sure you walk all 29 units, not just the pretty ones - sometimes these bundles hide a few problem properties with the good stuff. Also might want to run your numbers assuming higher vacancy in rural areas, just to be safe. Have you actually been inside most of them yet?

  • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8mo

    Don't wholesale this! That spread ($10k-$15k equity per door) is massive. You will regret letting that cash flow go.

    Since you are 75 miles from the nearest meetup, you need to bring the "City Money" to you. When you pitch this to out-of-town partners, their biggest fear is "Rural = Run Down/Musty."

    Here is a tip for your investor tours: Staging matters. Since the units are already updated (Granite/HVAC), take it one step further. I use a commercial HVAC scent diffuser in the common hallways or the model unit during walkthroughs. It sounds like a small detail, but walking into a rural building that smells like a luxury hotel (White Tea or Santal) instead of "old basement" instantly changes the investor's perception of the asset class. It screams "Professionally Managed."

    Package the numbers, stage the sensory experience, and post it in the BP Marketplace. You'll find a partner.

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    Price point concerns me. I find it very difficult to believe the current owner properly updated the HVAC, electrical, and roofing, and also spent money on cosmetic upgrades if the units are only worth $45K. The price point cannot absorb the cost of this CapEx, particularly the major building systems. More often than not, properties in this price point have major building systems that become issues because they are nearing the end of their useful life or, if replaced, weren't replaced properly by licensed and insured vendors because the real estate can only absorb the cost of haphazard workmanship. This makes the ongoing management very difficult. Since it's very difficult to operate properties in this price point profitably and equally as importantly sustainably, if there's an opportunity to make transactional profits you should evaluate that option.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.