How do you stress-test your rent assumptions?

How do you stress-test your rent assumptions?

Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes

I've started running every rental analysis through a "what if I'm wrong by 15%" filter. If the deal still works with rents 15% below my estimate, it's worth pursuing. If it falls apart, I move on.

Simple rule, but it's killed about 60% of the deals I was previously excited about. Painful but probably saved me from a few disasters.

What's your go-to stress test before making an offer?

3Reply
358 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 81 posts · 79 votes
5mo

@Masoud Arouni — you nailed the compounding piece. That's the part most underwriting models miss because Excel doesn't handle correlated risk well. Vacancy, insurance, and refi rates don't move independently in a downturn — they move together, and that's exactly when you need cash reserves you no longer have.

Quick answer to your question on where the survivors are right now: secondary Midwest and inland Southeast — Indianapolis, Columbus, Greenville SC, Knoxville, Chattanooga. Two things they share — insurance is still pricing rationally (no Florida or coastal Texas spiral), and employment isn't single-industry dependent. Phoenix and Austin pencil again on paper, but the insurance and tax reassessment math is brutal once you're 18 months in.

One stress test I'd add to your three scenarios: the "operator failure" test. If my property manager quit tomorrow and I had to self-manage from 2,000 miles away for six months, would this deal still survive? That one kills another 20% of deals — the ones that only work because the operator is heroic. Most of us aren't underwriting our own attention as a finite resource, and burnout is the silent NOI killer nobody models.

Curious if anyone else has watched a "good deal" become a bad one purely because of operator fatigue, even when the numbers held.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 76 posts · 27 votes
    6mo

    Yeah both numbers has to be relistic your original estimate not optimistic and also your 15% off should be relistic at least one comp should show this low number 

    • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Lipa F.:

      Yeah both numbers has to be relistic your original estimate not optimistic and also your 15% off should be relistic at least one comp should show this low number 


      @Lipa F. 100%. The stress test only matters if the base rent number is already conservative. I’m trying to force myself to anchor on comps I can defend, then ask: “Do I still like it if I end up at the low comp, not the high one?” If the deal needs hero rents, it’s not a deal.












      @Lipa F. 100%. The stress test only matters if the base rent number is already conservative. I’m trying to force myself to anchor on comps I can defend, then ask: “Do I still like it if I end up at the low comp, not the high one?” If the deal needs hero rents, it’s not a deal.


  • Lender · Member since 2026 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    6mo

    That 15% 'Margin of Safety' is a brutal but necessary filter in 2026. If a deal is so thin that a minor market correction or a slightly longer vacancy period turns it into a 'gator' (a property that eats you alive), it’s not an investment—it’s a hobby.

    As an investor and lender, I run two specific stress tests that go beyond just the top-line rent:

    1. The 'Lender’s Floor' (DSCR Stress Test) While you're looking at a 15% rent drop, I look at the DSCR (Debt Service Coverage Ratio) Break-even. * The Test: At what rent amount does my DSCR drop below 1.20?

    • Why it matters: Most DSCR lenders will pull back on leverage (LTV) or hike the rate significantly if that ratio slips. If your '15% down' scenario also drops your DSCR to 1.0, you might not be able to refinance your capital back out of the deal. I want to ensure my 'worst-case' rent still qualifies for a long-term 30-year fixed loan.

    2. The 'Shadow Expense' Filter (Insurance & Taxes) In today's market, I don't just stress-test the income; I stress-test the fixed costs. * The Test: If my property taxes get reassessed at 90% of my purchase price and my insurance premium jumps by 20% (a common 2026 reality in many states), does the deal still cash flow?

    • Many investors get 'rent-locked'—they focus so much on the tenant's check that they miss the 'expense creep' that actually kills the NOI.

    3. The 'Exit CAP' Stress Test I always assume my exit Cap Rate will be 0.5% higher than my entry Cap Rate. If the deal still shows a solid IRR (Internal Rate of Return) despite 'market softening' at the time of sale 5 years from now, I know I have a winner.

    Pro Tip: If your 15% filter is killing 60% of your deals, you might want to look at Interest-Only (IO) strips for the first few years. It can provide a massive cash-flow cushion during the stabilization phase, though it’s a tool that requires a disciplined exit strategy.

    I'm happy to run a 'DSCR Sensitivity Analysis' for you on your next deal. It'll show you exactly where the lender's 'pain point' is relative to your 15% rent filter!

    • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Hazel Wilder:

      That 15% 'Margin of Safety' is a brutal but necessary filter in 2026. If a deal is so thin that a minor market correction or a slightly longer vacancy period turns it into a 'gator' (a property that eats you alive), it’s not an investment—it’s a hobby.

      As an investor and lender, I run two specific stress tests that go beyond just the top-line rent:

      1. The 'Lender’s Floor' (DSCR Stress Test) While you're looking at a 15% rent drop, I look at the DSCR (Debt Service Coverage Ratio) Break-even. * The Test: At what rent amount does my DSCR drop below 1.20?

      • Why it matters: Most DSCR lenders will pull back on leverage (LTV) or hike the rate significantly if that ratio slips. If your '15% down' scenario also drops your DSCR to 1.0, you might not be able to refinance your capital back out of the deal. I want to ensure my 'worst-case' rent still qualifies for a long-term 30-year fixed loan.

      2. The 'Shadow Expense' Filter (Insurance & Taxes) In today's market, I don't just stress-test the income; I stress-test the fixed costs. * The Test: If my property taxes get reassessed at 90% of my purchase price and my insurance premium jumps by 20% (a common 2026 reality in many states), does the deal still cash flow?

      • Many investors get 'rent-locked'—they focus so much on the tenant's check that they miss the 'expense creep' that actually kills the NOI.

      3. The 'Exit CAP' Stress Test I always assume my exit Cap Rate will be 0.5% higher than my entry Cap Rate. If the deal still shows a solid IRR (Internal Rate of Return) despite 'market softening' at the time of sale 5 years from now, I know I have a winner.

      Pro Tip: If your 15% filter is killing 60% of your deals, you might want to look at Interest-Only (IO) strips for the first few years. It can provide a massive cash-flow cushion during the stabilization phase, though it’s a tool that requires a disciplined exit strategy.

      I'm happy to run a 'DSCR Sensitivity Analysis' for you on your next deal. It'll show you exactly where the lender's 'pain point' is relative to your 15% rent filter!


      @Hazel Wilder this is strong. “Lender’s floor” is the right framing because refinance risk is real risk. I also like that you’re stressing taxes + insurance, those are the silent killers right now. Only thing I’d push back on is the IO strip suggestion as a default. It can create a false sense of safety if the exit plan isn’t bulletproof. But as a tool with a disciplined refi/sale trigger, I get it.












      @Hazel Wilder this is strong. “Lender’s floor” is the right framing because refinance risk is real risk. I also like that you’re stressing taxes + insurance, those are the silent killers right now. Only thing I’d push back on is the IO strip suggestion as a default. It can create a false sense of safety if the exit plan isn’t bulletproof. But as a tool with a disciplined refi/sale trigger, I get it.


  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 855 votes
    6mo

    Hi @Todd Henderson. I like to assume rents come in lower while expenses rise at the same time and then bump the exit cap a bit to see if the deal still holds up. If it can still cash flow and cover debt comfortably under those conditions it is usually a deal worth pursuing.

    • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @G. Brian Davis:

      Hi @Todd Henderson. I like to assume rents come in lower while expenses rise at the same time and then bump the exit cap a bit to see if the deal still holds up. If it can still cash flow and cover debt comfortably under those conditions it is usually a deal worth pursuing.

      @G. Brian Davis yep. The triple stress is the truth serum. My add-on has been “rate shock at refi” because too many deals only survive if the next loan is cheap. If it works at 7% but dies at 9%, that’s a narrow bridge to cross in a market like this.



  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes
    6mo

    @G. Brian Davis — that's a solid triple stress: lower rents, higher expenses, and bumped exit cap simultaneously. The deals that survive all three are the ones worth your capital.

    I've started adding rate sensitivity to that stack too — what happens to cash flow if rates move 200bps at refinance? In this market that's not hypothetical. A deal that works at 7% but dies at 9% has a very narrow margin of safety.

    The 15% rent haircut alone killed 60% of my pipeline. Adding your expense stress on top would probably kill another 10-15%. But the ones that survive? Those are the deals you hold for 20 years.

  • Masoud ArouniPro Member
    Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2026 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    5mo

    @Todd Henderson, your 15% rent filter is the right instinct and the rate sensitivity add is exactly where most investors stop short. The missing piece is running all the stresses simultaneously, not sequentially.

    When you test rent down 15%, then expenses up, then exit cap higher, then rate shock, each one in isolation tells you something. All 4 together tell you whether the deal actually has margin or just looks like it does. A deal that survives each stress individually can still fail when they compound, which is exactly what happens in a real downturn. Vacancy spikes at the same time as insurance renews higher at the same time means you need to refinance into a tighter rate environment.

    The way I run it is 3 scenarios side by side. Base case uses your underwritten numbers. Downside takes rent down 10%, vacancy up to 10% or 16% (2 months), and expenses up 15%. Stress compounds all of that plus a rate shock on any refinance in the hold period. If CoC stays positive in the downside and does not go catastrophically negative in stress, the deal has real margin.

    Your 60% kill rate would probably hold or get slightly worse under that framework. But the deals that survive it are the ones you can hold through a cycle without losing sleep.

    What markets are you finding the survivors in right now?

    • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Masoud Arouni:

      @Todd Henderson, your 15% rent filter is the right instinct and the rate sensitivity add is exactly where most investors stop short. The missing piece is running all the stresses simultaneously, not sequentially.

      When you test rent down 15%, then expenses up, then exit cap higher, then rate shock, each one in isolation tells you something. All 4 together tell you whether the deal actually has margin or just looks like it does. A deal that survives each stress individually can still fail when they compound, which is exactly what happens in a real downturn. Vacancy spikes at the same time as insurance renews higher at the same time means you need to refinance into a tighter rate environment.

      The way I run it is 3 scenarios side by side. Base case uses your underwritten numbers. Downside takes rent down 10%, vacancy up to 10% or 16% (2 months), and expenses up 15%. Stress compounds all of that plus a rate shock on any refinance in the hold period. If CoC stays positive in the downside and does not go catastrophically negative in stress, the deal has real margin.

      Your 60% kill rate would probably hold or get slightly worse under that framework. But the deals that survive it are the ones you can hold through a cycle without losing sleep.

      What markets are you finding the survivors in right now?

      @Masoud Arouni nailed it. Sequential stress tests are comforting. Compounded stress tests are honest. I like your 3-scenario setup (base, downside, true stress) because it forces you to model what downturns actually do: everything goes wrong at the same time. Question for you: do you set a hard "walk away" line (like minimum DSCR under stress), or is it more "not catastrophically negative" + reserves?



  • Member since 2021 · 81 posts · 79 votes
    5mo

    @Masoud Arouni — you nailed the compounding piece. That's the part most underwriting models miss because Excel doesn't handle correlated risk well. Vacancy, insurance, and refi rates don't move independently in a downturn — they move together, and that's exactly when you need cash reserves you no longer have.

    Quick answer to your question on where the survivors are right now: secondary Midwest and inland Southeast — Indianapolis, Columbus, Greenville SC, Knoxville, Chattanooga. Two things they share — insurance is still pricing rationally (no Florida or coastal Texas spiral), and employment isn't single-industry dependent. Phoenix and Austin pencil again on paper, but the insurance and tax reassessment math is brutal once you're 18 months in.

    One stress test I'd add to your three scenarios: the "operator failure" test. If my property manager quit tomorrow and I had to self-manage from 2,000 miles away for six months, would this deal still survive? That one kills another 20% of deals — the ones that only work because the operator is heroic. Most of us aren't underwriting our own attention as a finite resource, and burnout is the silent NOI killer nobody models.

    Curious if anyone else has watched a "good deal" become a bad one purely because of operator fatigue, even when the numbers held.

    • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 11 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Nicholas Cokas:

      @Masoud Arouni — you nailed the compounding piece. That's the part most underwriting models miss because Excel doesn't handle correlated risk well. Vacancy, insurance, and refi rates don't move independently in a downturn — they move together, and that's exactly when you need cash reserves you no longer have.

      Quick answer to your question on where the survivors are right now: secondary Midwest and inland Southeast — Indianapolis, Columbus, Greenville SC, Knoxville, Chattanooga. Two things they share — insurance is still pricing rationally (no Florida or coastal Texas spiral), and employment isn't single-industry dependent. Phoenix and Austin pencil again on paper, but the insurance and tax reassessment math is brutal once you're 18 months in.

      One stress test I'd add to your three scenarios: the "operator failure" test. If my property manager quit tomorrow and I had to self-manage from 2,000 miles away for six months, would this deal still survive? That one kills another 20% of deals — the ones that only work because the operator is heroic. Most of us aren't underwriting our own attention as a finite resource, and burnout is the silent NOI killer nobody models.

      Curious if anyone else has watched a "good deal" become a bad one purely because of operator fatigue, even when the numbers held.

      @Nicholas Cokas “operator failure test” is such a good call. Most deals look great until the human doing the work breaks. Underwriting your own attention as finite is real. I’ve watched solid numbers get wrecked by turnover, rehab fatigue, and a bad PM handoff. If a deal only works when you’re heroic, it’s a trap. Also agree on the “survivor markets” logic: insurance sanity + diversified employment beats a pretty pro forma every time.



  • Masoud ArouniPro Member
    Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2026 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    5mo

    @Todd Henderson The DSCR floor varies more than most people account for. 1.20 is the baseline but certain lenders, markets, and asset classes push that to 1.35 or higher under stress — suburban office and retail in particular. The number is not fixed, it shifts with the lender's risk appetite and the submarket's volatility profile.
    As for reserves, I always allocate 5% of gross rent to reserves.

    For residential the equivalent is break-even occupancy. If the property needs 92% occupancy just to cover expenses and mortgage at stress assumptions that is a hard pass regardless of what the base case shows.

    The compounded stress is where most deals reveal themselves honestly. A deal that survives 10% vacancy + 15% expense creep, and flat rent simultaneously has real margin. One that only survives one of those at a time is fragile, not fundable.

    What break-even threshold are you using as your personal floor before you walk?

  • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Todd Henderson:

    I've started running every rental analysis through a "what if I'm wrong by 15%" filter. If the deal still works with rents 15% below my estimate, it's worth pursuing. If it falls apart, I move on.

    Simple rule, but it's killed about 60% of the deals I was previously excited about. Painful but probably saved me from a few disasters.

    What's your go-to stress test before making an offer?

    That is a good practice to have.
  • Investor · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 23 votes
    4mo

    I'm curious how you folks find out the avg rental prices in a market that is 2000 mi away. I've been using Zillow Rent Analyzer. However when I find a multiunit listed and see what their income is, it is vastly different from Zillows comps. Do I have to call every property manager in every area to get reality? I'm closing on a SFH and wanting to scale to multiunits and on a 1031 time crunch.

    Thanks 

  • Masoud ArouniPro Member
    Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2026 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    4mo

    @Tony McCargar, Zillow Rent Analyzer is a starting point but you're right to distrust it for multiunit, it skews toward listed asking rents, not actual achieved rents, and it dramatically underweights expense reality in most markets.

    The gap you're seeing between Zillow comps and actual income on listed multiunits is usually one of two things: either the seller's in-place rents are below market on long-term tenants, or Zillow is averaging in a bunch of SFH and condo rentals that don't reflect what a 4-plex actually commands in that submarket.

    Here's what actually works at 2000 miles:

    Call 2-3 local property managers directly. Not to hire them, just tell them you're evaluating acquisitions in their market and ask what they're actually achieving per unit on comparable properties. Most will talk because there's potential future business in it. This is standard practice among serious investors in California and it works everywhere. You get real numbers, real vacancy rates, and real expense intel in one call.

    On the expense side, this is where most out-of-state underwriting falls apart. Zillow gives you rent. It gives you nothing on insurance, taxes post-reassessment, or maintenance reality. In Bay Area properties I run expense loads at 45% of gross rents given insurance, taxes, misc and HOA. For most of the rest of the US I'd still budget 25-35% minimum in 2026 given how much insurance and property taxes have moved in the last two years. If you're underwriting at 20% you're probably leaving yourself exposed.

    With a 1031 clock running, the PM call is the fastest way to pressure-test a market without flying out. What market are you targeting?

    • Investor · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 23 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Masoud Arouni:

      @Tony McCargar, Zillow Rent Analyzer is a starting point but you're right to distrust it for multiunit, it skews toward listed asking rents, not actual achieved rents, and it dramatically underweights expense reality in most markets.

      The gap you're seeing between Zillow comps and actual income on listed multiunits is usually one of two things: either the seller's in-place rents are below market on long-term tenants, or Zillow is averaging in a bunch of SFH and condo rentals that don't reflect what a 4-plex actually commands in that submarket.

      Here's what actually works at 2000 miles:

      Call 2-3 local property managers directly. Not to hire them, just tell them you're evaluating acquisitions in their market and ask what they're actually achieving per unit on comparable properties. Most will talk because there's potential future business in it. This is standard practice among serious investors in California and it works everywhere. You get real numbers, real vacancy rates, and real expense intel in one call.

      On the expense side, this is where most out-of-state underwriting falls apart. Zillow gives you rent. It gives you nothing on insurance, taxes post-reassessment, or maintenance reality. In Bay Area properties I run expense loads at 45% of gross rents given insurance, taxes, misc and HOA. For most of the rest of the US I'd still budget 25-35% minimum in 2026 given how much insurance and property taxes have moved in the last two years. If you're underwriting at 20% you're probably leaving yourself exposed.

      With a 1031 clock running, the PM call is the fastest way to pressure-test a market without flying out. What market are you targeting?


       Thanks, That helps alot! I've been using 28-30% As I am seeing insurance rates rising.

  • Lender · TX · Member since 2026 · 164 posts · 67 votes
    4mo

    That’s a solid filter. I’d rather kill a deal on a spreadsheet than discover the problem after closing.

    Besides stress-testing rents, I like to stress-test expenses. Taxes, insurance, maintenance, vacancy, and property management costs have surprised a lot of investors over the last few years.

    I also ask, “Would this deal still make sense if I had to refinance at a higher rate or hold it longer than planned?” A lot of investments look great when everything goes according to plan. The stronger deals are the ones that still work when a few assumptions are wrong.

    For me, a good rental isn’t one that only works in the best-case scenario—it’s one that can survive a few punches and still produce cash flow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.