San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
Hello,
I have a RE Lic. and I was thinking of the following fix and flip strategy when I encounter a seller with a fixer upper:
Instead of listing it at a discounted price, wholesaling or flipping it, offer to pay for the rehab out of my own pocket then listed at market/top dollar. I would get my commission plus money spent at closing.
The benefit to the seller is that he would get more money for the property without coming out of pocket to rehab it. The benefit to me is that I would I get the listing and earn a higher commission.
I would only do basic flip and on properties that i feel confident to move quick. My only concern is protecting myself from seller trying to take it off the market once rehabbed.
Has anyone done this strategy? If so, how do you protect yourself?
There is one company I came across that does what I am talking about http://realtyrehab.com/. I just want to do it as an agent and on a case by case basis.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y
@Joaquin Meraz I would run that one by your broker for sure. It seems like it would too easy to get yourself into trouble in that situation with a conflict of interest.
Real Estate Entrepreneur · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 6 votes
10y
I think you may have something. I'm a real estate agent and I flip. What your are doing is creating a win win. I would try to get a percentage of the "profits"(difference between market value before flip and market value after flip) you should get a part or all of that.. With out you, they,seller, would not have an opportunity to make that extra cash. Why reward them if you can't reward yourself. Commission is not ur reward, that's what you charge to sell homes.. Gl
Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
You'd have to weigh the risk if the deal went sideways. If your license puts food on your table and is your only source of income, to me, it isn't worth the risk of losing my license.
With that being said, I did it a different way when I started out on a flip. My client and I established a base price for their home. We then split the construction costs and split the profit above the base price. We both walked with more money.