• Colleyville, TX
Votes |
My dream: non-assisted, transitional living for over 50

Chelle Knijnenburg
Pro Member
  • Homeowner
  • Colleyville, TX
Posted Mar 25 2016, 07:21

I have a dream of creating an non-assisted living facility for those over 50 who are in transition or who want to have the ability to jet off and not worry about maintenance or yard care.

The impetus for this is my taking care of my grandmother from 95 to 99.9. :-) She did not need medical care, so a nursing home was out of the question. She was lonely and I could not find a way to connect her to her peer group as she did not like to move from the house. If she had her own room in a type of place I am dreaming of, she could have had a better quality of life.

Now, transition this experience to a, sadly, growing trend of over 50's getting divorced. My theory is many of them would like a place to transition where they can settle in for a year or ?, socialize, travel and 'find' their new selves without being tied down to a house or the anonymity of an apartment complex. One concept is stumping me - That there would be varied activities provided to them for socialization, plus links to Meetups and such, but not so much as they feel obligated to attend.

I understand insurance can be a challenge if I create it as a "home", which it is not. Any insurance agents out there that can help me figure out how to create this, what I think is a new concept?

I also need to figure out how to handle anyone who becomes in need of more than temporary medical care.

Any feedback is most appreciated. Also, What are your dreams?

Loading replies...