Converting a Mobile Home to "Real Property" in Oakland CA

Converting a Mobile Home to "Real Property" in Oakland CA

San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2015 · 196 posts · 181 votes

Hey Guys, 



Question here. I'm in contract on a new duplex (for those of you I've talked to, the last one didn't work out). The property is in Fruitvale in Oakland, and it's zoned RM-2 (A mix of residential and small multi-family homes are permitted in this area).


I want to make more cashflow from this property. And I wonder if I can place a mobile home in the back yard of this duplex, and then rent the mobile home out?


There are some really cheap mobile homes out there (granted they need some work, but not that much): http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/K...


I have 2 basic questions here.


1. Is it possible to just park a mobile home in my back yard and rent it out? (in Oakland CA)? Seems like a really easy way to acquire a very cheap house/building and rent it out for a considerably more. A $16,000 mobile home with 1 bedroom and 1 bath could pay for itself in 2-3 years if you rent it out for $1,000/month (well below market rent for a 1 bedroom in Oakland).


2. Could you pour a foundation and permanently fix the mobile home to the ground? ........ Then making the mobile home into real property?

After the mobile home pays for itself, it still has a considerable life left, and could significantly increase cashflow for a long time to come.

I went up to Oregon this past weekend, and I spent the night at a friend's mobile home. They bought it for $8,000. And I was blown AWAY! Aside from the stigma that mobile homes have, their house was roomy and felt like any other apartment in a small multifamily from the inside. 

Oakland has some specific rules on in-law units, but I'm wondering if Mobile homes can be converted into "in-law" units: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/ceda/documents/report/oak028577.pdf

0Reply
21 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Foundation alone won't do it, it has to be stick built on site but I wonder if you stick built on site the outer shell? Then the interior would be off site manufactured only. By the time you get done trying to work around the system though it might be cheaper to build! Lol

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    You need to check zoning with your city.  Just because you have a multi-family duplex does not mean mobile homes are allowed.  You could place it there and then the city could fine you until it's removed.  If you're okay operating illegal then sure proceed.

    As far as foundations go there are methods to put a manufactured home on a foundation.  Most banks consider a block outer perimeter sufficient with piers underneath.  You will also need to cut off the hitch and remove the axles from underneath.  When you start pouring slabs you might as well put a modular home on it, which is a completely different set of zoning and construction requirements.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.