To rent (to myself) or not to rent

To rent (to myself) or not to rent

Vernal, UT · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 5 votes

I bought a 4bed 2bath split-entry foreclosure 2 years ago as my first home (and still live there). I'm currently closing on my second single family and looking for a 3rd, so I set up the LLC, bank accounts, etc.

My current payment is in the 700 range and it would rent in the 1000 range. I want to use it as a rental as soon as it makes sense but that could be a few years out. I'm asking myself, why not switch now and rent to myself so it will be ready when the time comes? Also benefit from the tax advantages, improvements costs, LLC protection, and start depreciation now? I'll do everything legally (if this is legal) with contract and have the proper paper trails.

If YES, would it make sense to rent at my mortgage rate or standard rate?

I haven't ran all of the numbers yet, so if this is nonsense please shoot me straight. I'm unfortunately still in the beginner stages and trying to find the best ways to advance.

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    9y

    nonsense. An LLC does not give you any tax advantages as it is a passthrough entity. Why would you want to start building up depreciation on the property and increase your costs. Just doesn't make sense

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    You cannot rent to yourself from a tax standpoint.  Business relationships must be conducted as an Arms Length transaction.  You also cannot convert items which normally would not be deductible (insurance, repairs, depreciation, etc on a personal residence) to a deduction.

    Ask yourself this - if this were legal, wouldn't everybody do it?

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    When you switch it under an LLC, bank will probably make you refinance and you'll have worse terms in an LLC vs. Conventional

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.