Commercial Zoning, Can I build a multifamily?

Commercial Zoning, Can I build a multifamily?

Contractor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 52 votes

Good morning BP, 

I am based in Milwaukee Wisconsin and I am a buy and hold investor. I have focused on mainly on single family investments up to this point. The other day I was driving along in one of the suburbs (new berlin/ hales corner border for those who new the area), when I  saw an abandoned brick building, so I pulled over to the side of the road, and looked into it. It was one of the listings that you could text a number and receive the information for, so I did. I found that it was zoned commercially, so I was wondering if I could turn this commercial building into a 5+ multifamily unit building, because its zoned commercially, or do I still have to change the zoning. So, then a follow up question for that would be, the land being sold is about an acre worth of land. I am reaching out to those who have done similar things like this, would it be worth converting the current building into a multifamily building and building another right next to it. I was thinking that maybe I would build two 8 units side by side and still have room left over for a duplex on the same lot. I was told, that new construction for residential generally goes for about 111$ per square foot, and based one that the rehab cost is pretty big. I was hoping someone could shine some light on the situation. I think it would be a two year project and lots of discussion with the city. 

Thank you all in advance for any insight provided. 

0Reply
108 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Moseley, VA · Member since 2016 · 115 posts · 60 votes
    9y
    Tyler Mutch, you will have to get in rezoned to R-TH or R-MF for townhomes and/ or multi family. The commercial zoning applies to what types of business/building can be built on the land C-1-5. If you want to change the zoning I would go to your planning and zoning department to discuss this with them and get a feel from them on the possibility of the change of zoning. Another way that I know of is how Developers go into contract with the land owner with a clause in the contract that the purchase is based on being able to attain rezoning for the property. If rezoning is not allowed or granted then the developers does not purchase the land. You still would have cost into the deal with the drawings, time and paperwork. Hope this helps.
  • Attorney and Real Estate Broker · Madison, WI · Member since 2016 · 265 posts · 100 votes
    9y

    Hi Tyler,

    You can check the zoning designation in the public records. The ordinances and zone plan should make it clear what the zoning allows. If it does not allow your intended use, you can either apply for a variance or to change the zoning. This can be time consuming and dependent on the whims of the local planning and zoning commission (or commissions, if more than one municipality has jurisdiction). You may want to hire a lawyer familiar with the local zoning board to walk you through the process and let you know the possibility of meeting your intended goal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.