Converting an office building to an apartment building

Converting an office building to an apartment building

Bismarck, ND · Member since 2011 · 142 posts · 16 votes

Has anybody been a part of this type of conversion? I have a very interesting opportunity so Im trying to learn all I can as fast as I can.

Here is a link to the property:
http://www.aspengrouprealestate.com/listings/detail.asp?Ctl=295

I could get my hands on it for around $200M

0Reply
161 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
14y

Zach, I would be more concerned with the market for larger apartments than the initial start-up cost. Is the market strongest for 1, 2, or 3 bedroom units? Ideally you'd have a mix.

It's probably worth while sitting down with a designer of some sorts that can look at what's existing. You have some large rooms that can easily be turned into economy/studio apartments, etc...

It's am ambitious project for sure.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2012 · 627 posts · 204 votes
    14y

    You need to find a good environmental consultant in your area to inspect that 1955 building for asbestos and lead-based paint. Both are highly regulated, and there are special rules for lead-based paint in residential buildings. The consultant should also check for fluorescent lights (PCBs & Mercury), as they cost money to dispose.

    Also, before you buy, you should obtain a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment. If you own the property for any length of time, you are 100% liable for cleaning up pollution or contamination caused by previous owners/uses. That could exceed the value of the property, or even your net worth.

  • Multi-family Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    14y

    Not to complicate things too much. But have you considered a mix used property? That may save you some money and time on the renovations, if you can keep some of the commercial space marketable with minimal renovations.

  • Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2012 · 627 posts · 204 votes
    14y

    I forgot to mention costs earlier. A Phase I with asbestos, lead, and miscellaneous toxic materials surveys of that building should cost $3,500 to $4,000. Big companies will send their junior staff or trainees, so you'll get more with a smaller consulting company. Insist that the site visit and data analysis portions of teh Phase I be done by an "environmental professional" as defined in EPA All Appropriate inquiries regulation and the ASTM E1527 standard.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.