Equity dilemma: Buy & Hold or Student Loan

Equity dilemma: Buy & Hold or Student Loan

Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 6 votes

We have a dilemma we are trying to solve for a shy friend "Sally". Sally wants to build her net worth but she owes about $30K in student loans.  Sally has $30K in equity in her residence. She inherited 2 rental properties with $30K mortgages on each.
She is thinking of using the equity to pay off the $30K student loans. I'm not sure what to tell her.

I'm figuring she could split the $30K equity between the 2 mortgages and let her tenants ($600 rent each) continue to pay off the remaining balance of $15K each. Also, I thought she could use the $30K as down payment on other investment houses.

She is thinking of paying off one house or paying off her student loans.

Any thoughts veteran investors?

0Reply
7 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I'd pay off the student loans. Bad debt vs good debt. Mortgages on cash flowing properties are good debt, student loan debt is bad debt.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.