Is turnkey investment good idea ?

Is turnkey investment good idea ?

Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes

Hello,

I need some recommendation if a turnkey options is the best idea.

At the moment I live overseas working for a major airline.

I want to invest in rental properties and this turnkey option came across my research.

I have been talking to this big group that offer this option,

Please I need if possible a feedback wether this is a good deal and if you would take it.

It's a SFH 3/2 located north of the Tampa area ( holiday)

Their asking price is 125K which is about 6% over the market value.

What they offer I really like because gives me peace of mind being far away from the property.

They offer is the following:

2 year rental guarantee

1 year appliances guarantee

2 year PM cost covered

The rent at the moment is 900/month

Taxes are 65/month

Of course I need to add extra expenses such as insurance, water n sewer, lawn maint, etc

My plan is to finance it with an investment mortgage with 20% down.

Do you think is a good deal ?

Should I research for more options?

Is it a good idea to finance it with a traditional mortgage or are there any other ways to do it ?

I really appreciate any comments on this

Thank you

2Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @David Esteban:

Hello,

I need some recommendation if a turnkey options is the best idea.

At the moment I live overseas working for a major airline.

I want to invest in rental properties and this turnkey option came across my research.

I have been talking to this big group that offer this option,

Please I need if possible a feedback wether this is a good deal and if you would take it.

It's a SFH 3/2 located north of the Tampa area ( holiday)

Their asking price is 125K which is about 6% over the market value.

What they offer I really like because gives me peace of mind being far away from the property.

They offer is the following:

2 year rental guarantee

1 year appliances guarantee

2 year PM cost covered

The rent at the moment is 900/month

Taxes are 65/month

Of course I need to add extra expenses such as insurance, water n sewer, lawn maint, etc

My plan is to finance it with an investment mortgage with 20% down.

Do you think is a good deal ?

Should I research for more options?

Is it a good idea to finance it with a traditional mortgage or are there any other ways to do it ?

I really appreciate any comments on this

Thank you

 If you are buying a property from turnkey provider who needs to offer a 2 year rental guarantee and a 2 year PM guarantee I can almost guarantee you that you're drastically overpaying for the property or dealing with a very inexperienced turnkey provider. Offering these types of guarantees are not viable from a property management perspective. Huge red flag.

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 98 votes
    6y

    @David Esteban Hey David!

    I think turnkey exists because of your very situations. It is created for long distance investors who cannot buy and manage properties on their own.

    However, I would do as much research as possible on the company as well as the property you are purchasing. Check out their reviews online. See what other similar homes are selling for in the area. Are their expenses and expected rent realistic?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    @David Esteban turn key is not going to give you a "good deal". You are paying for convenience. It is like going to a restaurant is not cheaper than cooking your meal at home. It doesn't mean nobody should go to restaurants. They are doing the work for you, so if you are busy or lack the knowledge, they can simplify the process. 

    I do agree with @James Wise that the guarantees they are providing are too good to be true. It implies they are either shady, desperate or inexperienced. Any of these three is trouble.

    If you are interested in going the turn key route, I would interview and compare several. There are several who are active here on BP that are reputable. Do plenty of due diligence because there are also some companies that have scammed investors.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 499 posts · 259 votes
    6y

    @David Esteban

    First off congrats on taking your first steps. I know it can be a little stressful at first especially with everyone telling you how bad this deal is. But I would have to agree with them just by looking at the price and rent. And I also agree that all those guarantees are red flags. But that doesn't mean all turnkeys are bad investments, it just depends on your goals. Finding your own deals and BRRRRing like a lot of the investors here are doing is the best way to not only accelerate your wealth, but to learn the game. But most of these investors are not airline pilots that live overseas like you do. So luckily for them, they have the option to do the work themselves. For you, I don't think its impossible, but def a lot more difficult. Turnkey is good in that it is a much more hands off and you don't have to stress about contractors running away with your money and managing rehabs from afar. It's bad in that returns are obviously not going to be as great. If you're going to invest in turnkey, your goal should be buy and hold (for a long time). Don't expect to be rolling in dough within a few years. As long as you understand this, I don't see any reason you should stay away from turnkeys. That said, understand the numbers and do you DD very carefully. Assuming that you were seriously considering this deal, I think you may want to read up a little more on underwriting deals. I invest in turnkeys as well, so if you need help feel free to reach out to me.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I'm late to the thread so might be repeating things other have already said but... you're asking if you should buy a property that is overpriced and won't cash flow? That's what I see in those numbers. The answer to that is- no. But to dig further, what are the other expenses and what does that make the cap rate or cash-on-cash return? What company is offering this? There are a ton of other turnkey options out there that aren't priced over market value and they offer positive monthly cash flow. If you buy one of those, yes turnkeys can be awesome. But I don't recommend over-priced non-cash flowing turnkeys.

  • Cortland, OH · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @David Esteban Your heart is there but there is some more seasoning needed. You have to win at purchase. There is no exception to that rule. You determine the plan and direction for that purchase. Three exit strategies gives you options to move on. For me “turnkey” purchase seems to limit exit strategies  

    Think outside the box. Overseas has property as well. Not sure your term of stay where you are at. Look local. Network local. They may become your core team when you get back to the states when they decide to invest “overseas”. This will give you practice at the very least. Listen and learn. It’s all about connections. Maybe a second job working for a local investor would open up insight.

    Some of the comments that I read on this post are world class. Hope you find your path along the way of the knowledge trail. GOOD LUCK!!!

  • Nic S.Pro Member
    Danville. CA · Member since 2017 · 313 posts · 220 votes
    6y

    @David Esteban turnkey can be a good strategy for people with more time than money. Or for less risk adverse people. Not a bad place to start but after 1 or 2 I would venture into more traditional model. I did a turnkey for my first deal in KC, the company I purchased from ruined the experience for me but that’s another story.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Bob Prisco

    Hi, Bob

    Thank you so much for the offer, that will be great !!

    If you don’t mind I can PM you to talk more, they have another option in that area that makes a bit more sense with the numbers.

    Thanks again !!

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    6y

    lazy investing equals lazy returns. I buy houses swamped with cat piss. leaking roofs are huge $$$ backed up sewer pipe, I'm on my way over!!!!  Put your parents in a care home for there own safety so you can liquidate there assets to buy drugs.....well, you get the idea. (pretty common actually) 

    Turn key = might retire in 20 years if careful.

    Trashed properties = retire in 5 years even if you are somewhat careless. 

    Work will set you free (if done smartly) 

    Sorry,

    Shawn Coverdell

    Homes in the Hood

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @Nic S. how does an out of state investor buy a property that needs rehab, tenants etc, do it ? You can not just hire strangers , pay contractors and keep your fingers crossed all will go well. Then what about placing tenants, ? It will turn into a full time job, and cost 1ks and 1ks and 1ks flying back and forth, not worth it. Work with a team, allow them to handle everything, and you focus on your career.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Edgar Rodriguez

    Hi Edgar, thank you for your advice,

    I agree with you, what I need to do is do more research to have a better idea of what is out there in this type of investment.

    I will definitely PM you I you don’t mind to steal a few minutes from your time since you are an active agent and familiar with the Tampa area.

    Thanks again

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 98 votes
    6y

    @David Esteban

    You’re very welcome!

    Like everyone has said above, do your research. Turnkey companies exist for a reason but you have to find the right one.

    You could also do the David Greene model of finding your all star team (Core Four) that can find deals, fix them up, get you the loan, and manage it for you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Joe Splitrock

    Hi joe, thanks for the feedback, I really like the way you compare it to going out to a restaurant, it makes total sense.

    I have been doing more research this past couple of days and you are right I’m finding more turnkey companies offering more realistic “benefits”

    It will take me a bit more time for my first deal but I think it will be worth it when I find a better one than the one I presented here in BP

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @David Abbate

    Hi david,

    Thanks for the advice,

    From all the questions you made, unfortunately ( or fortunately) all the answers are negative, so for sure I will not take this deal.

    Im following all the advice here in BP and doing more research before I jump into my first investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Oh

    Hello Jonathan, great feedback

    Thanks a lot

    By now after all the advice I’m getting here, I won’t be taking this deal, as you say it has to many red flags.

    I want to do my first deals using the turnkey option for now while I’m overseas, hopefully in a couple of years I will be back to the US and be able to be more hands on into my investments.

    I will PM If you don’t mind to ask your recommendation of a good turnkey company.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Ali Boone

    Hello Ali,

    Thanks for your comment.

    I’m doing exactly what everybody is telling I should do, so I’m looking more deeply in this kind of deals.

    Im sure I will find a better turnkey company and get more positive numbers.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 499 posts · 259 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David Esteban:

    @Jonathan Oh

    Hello Jonathan, great feedback

    Thanks a lot

    By now after all the advice I’m getting here, I won’t be taking this deal, as you say it has to many red flags.

    I want to do my first deals using the turnkey option for now while I’m overseas, hopefully in a couple of years I will be back to the US and be able to be more hands on into my investments.

    I will PM If you don’t mind to ask your recommendation of a good turnkey company.

    Anytime!

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I started with turnkey in Birmingham, Atlanta, Indianapolis.

    Would be glad to share my expense if anyone has specific questions.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    6y

    Why would you even consider overpaying for a rental property. If you're looking to get a move-in ready house why not look through the MLS and then you can choose the PM. You may even be able to get a rehab and fix it for less than the TK company would sell it for.

    For an investment property you have to put 25% as a down payment unless you will live in it.

  • Nic S.Pro Member
    Danville. CA · Member since 2017 · 313 posts · 220 votes
    6y

    @Bob Prisco Its not as dire as you're making it sound. What you described is a Property Manager and in fact, everything you listed is what they are paid to do. The one caveat is the rehab - I don't buy homes that need more than $5K worth of rehab as identified by my 3rd party inspector. Then the PM will manage that process - all you need is a good trustworthy PM. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Cody Boatright

    Hi Cody,

    Thank you for the feedback, I’m learning so much here in BP, I’m understanding now when you and everybody says that a deal has to be won at purchase and not later, makes total sense, I will be applying that to my first and future deals.

    The idea you gave about local networking is great, I will definitely start spreading the word to see what I find.

    Thanks !

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Nic Stergion

    Hi Nic, thank for the comment,

    You are right, that is my plan, while I’m working overseas the turnkey options fits me well, the only thing now is that I have to find a good and reliable company that does that, and then after that be back in the states in 2 years if not before to be more involved with my investments, so basically i think my first 2 - 3 deal I will be working with turnkey after that I will switch to traditional.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Shawn Coverdell

    Hi Shawn, I agree with your comment, it makes sense, my current situation being so far away form the states makes it so hard to be more involved in the deals,

    The turnkey option fits me perfect for my first deals, but as soon as I get back to the states I will be for sure more involved with my investments so I can build a bigger and better portfolio = more $

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Lane Kawaoka

    Hi Lane,

    Thank you, that will be great if you can share your experience with TK investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Rosa

    Hi Anthony, thanks for the comment, I'm sure that I can find a better deal using the MLS and then probably spending some extra money fixing it and the get my own PM to manage it, but my current situation being so far away from the states makes it really hard and the TK options sounds good, but just for now, I should be back to the states soon so then I can handle everything myself.

  • Rental Property Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @David Esteban - I'm glad the BP community is able to provide you a lot of information and ideas. Not all are consistent, but such is life :-) If you're interested in some more experience in rentals, turnkeys, and analysis - shoot me a message. In short, buying from a turnkey provider relies on the integrity and experience of the provider - and your ability to judge this. At best, the provider can handle all the work, supply the initial capitol, and get you an investment with a renter below the cost you can do it yourself. At worst, they can sell over price real estate in bad areas that will never produce a profit. My recommendation:

    1. Determine your goals and objectives with the investment
    2. If real estate is the answer, determine what type of RE can meet your goals and objectives
    3. If the answer is single family homes, then determine if Turnkey is the right path for you
    4. Evaluate several Turnkey providers. At the core, do they have experience and integrity

    It's not a simple path, but makes sure you're following your goals and objectives as the 'compass'.

    We've done many BRRRR's in the Des Moines market and have systems in place that allow us to find, rehab, and rent more properties than we have our own capitol to keep. Thus, we've decided to offer Turnkey properties to other investors. Does that help answer the "if it's a perfectly good house, why would anyone sell it?" question - at least from 1 real world perspective?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.