Want to do my first house hack with FHA mortgage

Want to do my first house hack with FHA mortgage

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hello fellow investors, I currently reside in Phoenix, AZ, and I am a full time college student/part time worker looking for some advice and/or feedback.

I am 19 years old and I am looking to save up capital 12-14 months from now (around 10-15k) while also working on my credit score to qualify for an FHA Mortgage.

I have a couple questions, and any advice or feedback is very well appreciated;

SFH in Phoenix, from what I've researched, run around 200-300k assuming they're 3+ bedrooms and 1400-1800 sq ft, which is quite expensive considering my current financial situation. I have been doing an extensive amount of research these past 2 months and I think the way for me to get my feet wet is to build up enough capital to pursue my first purchase with an FHA mortgage as I've stated above. I am not sure if I am running the numbers wrong or if I'm missing out on other major expenses, but these are the deals I am looking forward to next year;

Buy a 5 bedroom SFH in a B class neighborhood and rent out 4 other bedrooms while I live in one. Assuming this SFH cost 260-275k, (I know very unlikely, but I have seen a couple) and renting out each room at 500$ a month, would I be breaking even, or going negative? I've been looking at the numbers and I'm assuming I would be breaking even considering my monthly cost would be around 2k a month (including insurance, mortgage insurance, taxes, and monthly principal)

I currently pay around 660-675 a month in rent for student apartments, but I wouldn’t mind using my own money if it means I would be building equity rather than wasting my money.

1Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marlborough, MA · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 74 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Andre

    Awesome to see someone at your age looking to buy their first home (10 years sooner than I was able to accomplish this!)

    I don't want to speculate as to whether or not you'll make money based on the current strategy (not enough info), but the thinking is along the right lines. Unfortunately one of the challenges with your proposed strategy is that it will be difficult to manage renting out your SFH to 4 individuals, particularly once you decide to move out of the property. For this reason you might want to assume that it will be a single tenant occupying the property for your calculations, to err on the conservative side.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Damian Bialonczyk

    Appreciate the reply, but why/how would it be difficult to rent 3 or 4 other bedrooms while I live in the SFH?

    After, let’s say, a year or two of living there while renting out the bedrooms, I build up over 20% equity I would be looking to refi, move out, and rent the house completely rather than per bedroom.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.