Manufactured Homes / Lot Investing Strategy?

Manufactured Homes / Lot Investing Strategy?

Investor · Switzerland · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Hello!

I'm new to the BP Community-- interested in buying my first deal in an expensive market (SF Bay Area).

The general strategy I'm thinking of is this:

1) Buy an empty lot (they go for around $75 a sq foot in my area)

2) Hire a manufactured house builder / draw plans and get city approval

3) Get the property built (by assumption, it should be somewhat quick). Construction is around $120 /sq foot

4) Rent out, collect rents, and refinance with a traditional mortgage.

My reasoning is that 1) Renters don't care whether a house is manufactured or not, so would pay the same rent had the property been site built. 2) Manufactured houses are much cheaper to build than site built, so cash flow would be better 3) I'm not too experienced in construction, so manufactured could simplify the process.

I've talked to city planning and they seem to be quite open to building (there is a shortage of housing in my market). However, they told me that it would take at least 6 months to get the design review complete and break ground. The permits and approvals cost at least $35K...

Basically my idea hinges on the fact that the average house costs ~ $400 / sq foot in my area, but I could save 30% of the cost just by building a manufactured house from scratch on a lot.

Any thoughts on this strategy? What are the pitfalls / errors in my reasoning?

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    stumbled upon this post....what did you end up deciding? how did it go?

    my thoughts are that as long as you have the cash or can get financing to fund the soft costs and hard construction costs then i think you would turn a profit. as you said, your betting on avg house cost, hopefully you've done due diligence to check that but ultimately if that area is in a housing shortage then I think the market will eventually meet or exceed 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.