San Diego County to vote on extending eviction moratorium TODAY

Benjamin Fishler
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted May 4 2021, 07:47

https://www.sandiegouniontribu...

They introduced wording that says:

"
The biggest point of contention is a provision that limits landlords’ ability to evict tenants for lease violations and, in general, being a nuisance. It would go beyond statewide law crafted during the pandemic that says renters can be evicted for just cause, such as lease violations. San Diego County’s ordinance says eviction can only happen if renters are imminent threats to health and safety.
"
They don't even have clauses if you want to move back into your own house.

This is insane, and just because it may expire in late August doesn't mean it's OK -- they do it once, they may be testing the waters to make something like this more permanent or used frequently in the future. We need tools to be able to evict someone who is a nuisance...what's the point of having a lease with signed agreements if nothing in it is enforceable? We may as well not even own the housing at that point.

I don't think some of politicians get the picture -- I've been seeing an unprecedented jump in rent prices and a corresponding decrease in rental units available, and most of the new tenants we've had apply are telling us the same thing -- their landlords are selling. May be "good" for those staying in the game and the system may balance out, in terms of higher rent prices. But right now, there's a lot of incentive to cash out from high home prices and/or laws that are extremely landlord unfriendly. Seems like we're the one group who's expected to directly foot the bill for necessities -- I don't see politicians forcing grocery stores or farms to provide free food to those who lost their job in the pandemic. And our property tax bills are higher monthly fees than some people pay for mortgages in other parts of the country. And yes, many businesses had to shut down operations during the pandemic -- but there's a difference than being told you can't run your business, and you have to run your business and can't exit out.

Anyway, if you feel the same way -- please go visit the virtual meeting at: 

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/cob/bosa/index.html

It starts at 9am I believe, although I'm not sure on the exact voting schedule yet.

Also, this ordinance was introduced by "San Diego County Supervisor Nora Vargas" -- please remember that name next time she's up for reelection. I think we need to send a message to politicians who think this is OK by voting them out.

Loading replies...