@John Carbone, thanks for the thought provoking comments. I am in a small market in the middle of Wyoming, so my market may not be anything like the national market. I have been buying property in Wyoming since the 1970s. I have seen a lot of boom bust cycles in Wyoming. Every one of those cycles was driven by the cost of energy. We often had booms that were opposite from the national economy. When oil prices spiked upwards many industries were hurt and people got laid off. When oil prices spiked we had massive amounts of drilling going, and pipelines being built, old oilfields got pushed into secondary recovery programs. High priced wages for the dangerous oilfield work caused a lot of money to flow into oil towns, people bought houses paid exorbitant rent, they bought new trucks, campers, 4 wheelers, guns, beer, etc. Mobile home parks had waiting lists to get in since they were full. Grocery stores made more, restaurants made more money, car dealerships made more money, insurance companies made more money. You get the idea. When oil prices dropped businesses elsewhere took off. It was cheaper to make glass, to make cars, to drive to vacation areas. The economy picked up, wages went up. In Wyoming when oil prices dropped then new drilling stopped. You cannot pay the massive costs to drill and produce more wells at low oil prices. Drilling companies laid people off, jobs were lost in oil production, fracking companies had layoffs, drill stem testing companies had layoffs, oil service companies had layoffs, mud companies had layoffs, trucking companies who moved oil rigs had layoffs, the list was long. Wages dropped for those who kept jobs. Then folks couldn't make payments on 4 wheelers and boats, and campers, and those got sold. So house got foreclosed on and pawn shops filled up on rifles and other toys. No one bought new trucks, or ate out, or had their hair styled or nails done. Housing prices plummeted.
I have seen at least 4 of those cycles in my lifetime. We are currently in one of the biggest booms I have ever seen. Oil prices actually went negative for awhile during the pandemic as all the gas holding tanks were full since no one was driving and oil had to be stored sometimes on expensive oil tankers. Still prices boomed. Why? I can tell you with confidence it was not because of low interest rates as the main factor. I am in a town with a population of 3800. We normally have about 60 houses listed on the MLS. In 2019 I was actively trying to buy houses and occasionally bought empty houses that had been empty for years. It was not unusual to take a month or 2 to rent a house. MY model was to buy distressed houses, fix them up and rent them. I usually paid about 6% interest and did 15 year loans. In 2019 we had a small uptick in people buying from out of town. In 2020 we had a bit of a drop off in home buying and prices stayed a bit depressed a little while. In late 2020 and 2021 prices went nuts. They continued to climb in 2022. I bought a house in 2022 that was in pretty rough shape but in a nice area. I paid $120k, it would have been worth $70 to $80K in 2018 or early 2019. Houses that rented for $700 in 2019 are renting for $850 to $900 now. This summer and last summer I was doing deeds for 5 up to 10 properties a week. Maybe 1 in 10 of those were to local residents. People from mostly the west coast were buying houses and land like crazy. The number of homes on the MLS dropped to 10 or 12. Realtors could not find enough inventory to sell. The only houses not selling were the ones priced at insane levels. My personal residence was assessed at $140K. I listed it for sale in late December 2021 for $225K. The assessed value came up to $180K this year. I just sold it this week for $215K. Keep in mind it was an 1800 square foot bilevel with a redwood deck, new windows, new roof, new high efficiency furnace with central air, new bathroom remodels, and a newer kitchen.
My opinion is that Covid accelerated a market that was already heating up. People began to be able to earn big money by working remotely and not having to live in cities with populations over one million. People were able to sell 1400 square foot houses in Washington, Oregon, and California, for 1 to 3 million dollars and buy a same quality house for $150K in my town. Houses that we locals thought should have sold for $100K. Some people told me they were fleeing politics, like liberal governments and defunding the police riots. Some decided that they would just retire early and live here for half the cost of living elsewhere.
Prices have stabilized here, and are still climbing in price, but much more slowly than the last few years. Guys who priced a 950 square foot house for $220 thousand are slowly dropping prices. Guys who are selling 1400 square foot houses for $190K are still selling them. The froth has come off of the market, but not gone down anywhere near where prices were 2 years ago, and they will not for the foreseeable future. I think a lot of the shift was from extremely expensive markets with high populations and high wages, to more rural areas at massively lower prices and a much better quality of life. It takes 2 minutes to drive to the grocery store, and 2 minutes to drive to work, not an hour.
In my area high housing appears to be here to stay. High rents are here to stay. Many vacation rentals popped up here. There were 12 when I started 5 years ago. There were 60 in May of this year, I would guess we have close to 100 by the end of the year. This is happening in ALL of Wyoming, not just my town.
Some new houses are being built, our local builders are booked up 2 years in advance, new subdivisions are popping up like mad. Houses with acreage are still going for massive amounts, well over double what they were 3 years ago. Lumber has really dropped, it is only about triple of what it was in 2019, not 8 times as high like it was last year. Nobody can find workers, and the workers cannot find affordable housing. None of the newcomers have opened any businesses or shops, unless you count vacation rentals. A couple of folks have bought 4 or 5 houses and turned them all into vacation rentals.
I don't think we are going to see values of houses drop in my area, despite higher interest rates, it will just climb more slowly. At this point it is just wait and see, and know I will pay more when I can find one I can afford.