Alex Moazeni
  • Dallas
Votes |
Entire sewer line replacement

Alex Moazeni
  • Dallas
Posted May 9 2023, 18:29

Hi everyone.

I got another multi a month ago (4 units).

So I new the foundation needs some repairs wich fixed it.

So after that they checked the plumbing system in order to be able to provide me a WARRANTY.

They came up with the leaking sewer line on the entire building.

I am at 35k expense to get it done.

I want your guys thoughts to should I move forward or just postpone the repairs?

Appreciate it in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied May 9 2023, 21:39

Where is it leajing? How many leaks? How bad are the leaks? Underground or in the building?

User Stats

Votes
Alex Moazeni
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Dallas
Replied May 10 2023, 00:56

@Allan Smith has a leak few spots under the ground and they recommend to replace entire lines.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 10 2023, 03:52

@Alex Moazeni

Without knowing the age, type of pipe, length of run, location of leaks within run it’s tough to say.

I assume you had it inspected with a camera to show the leaks?

How much life is left on it?

The answer is it depends.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied May 10 2023, 04:16
Quote from @Alex Moazeni:

Hi everyone.

I got another multi a month ago (4 units).

So I new the foundation needs some repairs wich fixed it.

So after that they checked the plumbing system in order to be able to provide me a WARRANTY.

They came up with the leaking sewer line on the entire building.

I am at 35k expense to get it done.

I want your guys thoughts to should I move forward or just postpone the repairs?

Appreciate it in advance.

I would definitely get multiple quotes for this. $35k is a lot of money to fork over and eating years worth of profit. Plumbing issues can get very serious so it's better not to delay it, but definitely get multiple quotes as I have dealt with some unscrupulous plumbers in the past (I have an awesome plumber now). They will tell you to fix 10 things vs just the 2 things that really need to be fixed.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Moazeni
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Dallas
Replied May 10 2023, 04:50

@Chris Seveney 40 years age and 162 feet length and the iron cast pipe.

It has a lots of corrosion to the point that the camera can't tell where the leak coming from. It is losing almost 16 inches in just 30 minutes.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2023, 05:13

Talk to more guys and I'm sure someone could quote you for 10k to 30k. The plumbing is the area where you could see multiple quotes. Do the work with more independent guy rather than big name guy plumber.

User Stats

Votes
Martin Yates
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 20 2023, 15:19
i was quoted 1.5 k on a single family line replacement recently. about the same lenth, shop around

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 20 2023, 16:22

Off the top of my head, I'm just going to make some statements:

How deep is the line burred?

How many feet are they digging from the foundation to the end?

Is it from the foundation to the street hookup?

Are they going under the slab or under a concrete driveway?

How much for digging and refill and how much for plumbing charges? You will still have to re-landscape the trenched area with new grass.

Is it an old asphalt pipe?

Will they cover the trench with plywood if they leave the jobsite, or just caution tape it off?

How many diggers; and how long will it take to open the trench?

Will they use trenching equipment or day labor?

How many days will the Apartments be without running water (no flushy flushy) and no showers?

Will they work from legal start time until legal quiting time (for your local) to get the job done sooner; or will they do bankers hours?

Is this one man and his trusty shovel or does he have a crew?

Did you get 3 or more bids on this repair?

Do you have a video of the sewer scope so you don't have to pay for that on every bid?

Is your soil the type that tends to "Settle" after the line is in, requiring a re-dig and an adjustment to get rid of bellies in the line, or is it considered stable.

Are you allowed to oversize the line a little for a small upcharge?

What about the main stack and the vents that feed the main stack inside the walls (I have seen a nightmare of holes in these one time from backups and probably harsh drain cleaners over the years). Have any renters been noticing sewer gas smells in the units?

Does the repair include installing anti-backflow devices if none are present? If so get a map as to exactly where they are, so you can provide it to a new plumber, or the next owner. (ie. 8 feet south of the foundation corner and 1 foot out = 4 anti-backflow on the west side of building A).

When can the renters expect to have running water again?

Good Luck!