What If the Deal Isn’t the Opportunity?

What If the Deal Isn’t the Opportunity?

Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2023 · 177 posts · 109 votes

Bridge Builders

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the space between a good opportunity and the people capable of doing something meaningful with it.

Real estate teaches us to look for properties. Find the deal, analyze it, figure out the financing, execute the plan and hopefully create some value along the way. That’s part of the game, but I’m beginning to think there’s another layer underneath all of it that we don’t talk about enough.

The bridges between people.

Think about how many conversations we have as investors that don’t immediately go anywhere. You meet somebody with capital looking for the right opportunity. Another person understands operations better than you ever will. Someone else knows construction, another understands creative finance, and somewhere out there is an owner sitting on a property with a problem that doesn’t fit neatly into a traditional transaction.

At first glance, those are just separate conversations.

Until they aren’t.

That’s the part I’ve become curious about.

Instead of immediately asking, “Is there a deal here for me?” I’ve been trying to ask something a little different.

“What am I actually looking at, and who else should probably be looking at it with me?”

That question shifts the lenses.

Now I’m not trying to become the lender, contractor, operator, buyer and smartest guy in the room all at once. I’m trying to understand the pieces well enough to recognize when they might fit together.

And that requires more than collecting phone numbers.

You have to know people.

What are they actually good at? What do they want to build? What kind of risk are they comfortable carrying? What does their capital need to accomplish? Can they execute what they say they can execute? What happens when something goes sideways?

Same goes for the opportunity.

What problem are we actually solving? Where does the value come from? What assumptions are carrying the deal? What could kill it? Who benefits if we're right, and who carries the weight if we're wrong?

Once you understand enough of that, sometimes you can look across a handful of seemingly unrelated conversations and see a bridge beginning to form.

Then maybe your job isn’t to own the whole thing.

Maybe your job is simply to say:

“You two should probably talk.”

Or...

“I’ve been looking at something. I’m not sure there’s a deal here yet, but I think your lens could help us see it differently.”

That’s an interesting place to operate because there doesn’t have to be a transaction hiding behind every relationship.

Some introductions will go nowhere. Some opportunities deserve a no. Some people will stay in your world for years before the reason you met becomes apparent.

That isn’t necessarily wasted motion.

We spend a lot of time underwriting properties in this business. I’m starting to think some of the best investors also learn how to understand people, relationships and capabilities with the same level of care.

Because when the right property eventually meets the right capital, experience, operator and relationships, something can emerge that none of those people could have built independently.

Maybe that’s part of the investor mindset too.

Not just finding opportunities.

Learning how to recognize the bridges worth building before everyone else can see where they lead.

Success isn't studying this year's Q4 during Q4 season, it's studying next year's and then some Q1-Q4 patterns.

0Reply
233 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga TN · Member since 2026 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    3w

    Joshua, I like this way of looking at it. The question “What am I actually looking at, and who else should probably be looking at it with me?” is a lot more useful than trying to force every opportunity into your own lane.

    That idea is actually a big part of what my wife Melinda and I are building with REInMakers. We spend a lot of time looking at the property-specific facts that can challenge assumptions early — zoning, permitted use, municipal issues, development constraints — before someone gets too far down the road.

    And I agree with your larger point: sometimes the real value isn’t owning the whole opportunity. It’s knowing which person, perspective, or piece of information needs to enter the conversation next.

    Good perspective.

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3w

    I've learned to your point that while I got into this because it was framed as the "data" portion of real estate and its just "numbers" to get investment deals and commercial deals done, and that there is very little emotion but that is a big fallacy. I've had to try and unlearn that, and lean into soft skills to really make any traction in this biz. it a people and consistency biz, as life appears to be also.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.