Are You Depressed?

Are You Depressed?

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Real Estate is so freaking boring… and yet that’s all we talk about. Why – is it because this is all we are interested in?

How about the meaning of life – would you engage in a conversation about the meaning of life? How about depression – would you talk about that? I know many of you, if not most, are affected. How about fear of failure? How about any Damn thing that really matters in life – children, illness, the future of civilization, future of America, the wars we fight, the wars we don’t fight?

Are we so shallow that real estate is the only thing that matters to us?

Don’t tell me you’re not scared  – I know many of you are...

Let’s talk about things that matter for once.

Any takers? 

5Reply
138 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Westchester, IL · Member since 2009 · 126 posts · 55 votes
10y

I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

See this reply in the discussion

142 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I guess you can't sleep either ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Hah, @Chris Martin - I am up at 5 am every day. Can't allow life to go by...

  • Tom MolePro Member
    Investor · Sunland, CA · Member since 2013 · 260 posts · 240 votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich, you need a Facebook account!  :D

    You know those just getting started haven't gotten bored with real estate yet. In fact for most they're gonna need to wake up in the morning and have a bowl of "motivated seller" with a cup of "ROI". Then they need to slip into the bathroom for a "yellow letter" shower before heading to office. For lunch they're gonna need to get a "deal structure" burger and "cash buyer" soda. You remember the day when it wasn't yet easy.

    That said, you have a point. There's a lot more to life than business. As they say, no one on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd spent more time in the office".

    Let me be the first to ask on this thread, Ben, what's important to you today? I'll be happy to chat about the meaning of life with you. @Brandon Turner speaks quite highly of you and I'd enjoy the opportunity to make your acquaintance.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Tom Mole - I am afraid of running out of time...

    Business exists for the sole purpose of improving quality of life. Ideas that have a chance of succeeding are those and only those whose core principle is to simplify and/or improve present circumstance.

    A lot of people in Western hemisphere are depressed. I assume a fair number of people here on BP are as well. Depressed, confused, disappointed, scared... These are the difficult questions of success. Not the nonsense we talk about.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich

    It's not depression, it's obsessive compulsive disorder! :)  

  • Real estate consignment; Virtual REO wholesales · Vancouver, Vancouver, BC · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Vitamin D. Changed my life. 

    Disclaimer: While I am a doctor, this post does not constitute medical advice  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Westchester, IL · Member since 2009 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

    I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

    It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

    I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

  • Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 157 votes
    10y

    Hi Ben,

    Please ignore Ryan if you aren't already!

    I find any post about human issues to be much more interesting than transactional stuff. I will post more in the am - I could write for days about a lot of these things, and I am glad someone of your horsepower is willing to start a dialogue like this... kudos!

  • Real estate consignment; Virtual REO wholesales · Vancouver, Vancouver, BC · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 18 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ryan ODonnell:

    I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

    I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

    It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

    I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

    @Ryan O'Donnell, cute :-)

    Well given that there is a forum category called 'Investor Psychology', maybe @Ben Leybovich is on to something. I too enjoy dialogue about the human condition, let's keep the conversation going and have some talk therapy so I don't have to get out my prescription pad. 

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Wow, an MD-wholesaler, now that's a first on BP! :)

    Dr. , I'm thinking I'd rather have the prescription, I'm not sure if talk therapy can help a guy who claims he plays violin one day and fiddle the next..........LOL

    But, we can try;

    Ben, how long have you felt this way? Was there ever a woman in your life that made you practice your violin? Did she call it a fiddle? 

    Just trying to see if we have any identity crisis here :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ryan ODonnell:

    I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

    I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

    It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

    I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

     Get a life!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anita Fofie:
    Originally posted by @Ryan ODonnell:

    I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

    I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

    It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

    I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

    @Ryan O'Donnell, cute :-)

    Well given that there is a forum category called 'Investor Psychology', maybe @Ben Leybovich is on to something. I too enjoy dialogue about the human condition, let's keep the conversation going and have some talk therapy so I don't have to get out my prescription pad. 

     Have you heard of GAPS diet? We are recovering an autistic kid. Gut is an amazing thing - the generator of health!

    I appreciate you jumping in, Anita! Lasting success is a function of imagery in the rear view mirror. Some get it, some don'e. Unfortunately, most on BP don't... 

    When Brandon and I appeared on Cardone Zone a while back, he called BP - FaceBook, but smarter. Hmmm - let's try to measure up, shall we... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Wow, an MD-wholesaler, now that's a first on BP! :)

    Dr. , I'm thinking I'd rather have the prescription, I'm not sure if talk therapy can help a guy who claims he plays violin one day and fiddle the next..........LOL

    But, we can try;

    Ben, how long have you felt this way? Was there ever a woman in your life that made you practice your violin? Did she call it a fiddle? 

    Just trying to see if we have any identity crisis here :) 

     Hahahaha

    Life's too short for bull ****, Bill. A lot of that on BP lately. Just thought we could use a little jolt...

    At the end of the day, it's the violin, white shirt, the bow tie, tails, shiny shoes, and the silly rich people telling me how wonderful I am. How did I go from that to being a silly rich guy listening to a bunch of silly newbies talking about assigning contracts and calling it wholesaling...lol

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Ah, so there is anxiety, feeling overwhelmed and difficulty in coping, much like a string breaking in the middle of your recital, then having to transpose to a lower register to compensate for the range lost.........yes, I can understand........

    Why do you feel as if you must contend with this perceived ignorance on BP, it's not an anxiolytic?

    I understand your agitation as well, those with knowledge and wisdom must ignore the fool or those who are only wise in their own eyes.

    @Ben Leybovich it's all @Brandon Turner's fault, he's he one drawing in all the newbies to BP and who ruined intelligent conversations. It use to be like hanging out in the bar at the club, now it's more like hanging around fifth graders at recess. :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Ah, so there is anxiety, feeling overwhelmed and difficulty in coping, much like a string breaking in the middle of your recital, then having to transpose to a lower register to compensate for the range lost.........yes, I can understand........

    Why do you feel as if you must contend with this perceived ignorance on BP, it's not an anxiolytic?

    I understand your agitation as well, those with knowledge and wisdom must ignore the fool or those who are only wise in their own eyes.

    @Ben Leybovich it's all @Brandon Turner's fault, he's he one drawing in all the newbies to BP and who ruined intelligent conversations. It use to be like hanging out in the bar at the club, now it's more like hanging around fifth graders at recess. :) 

     Hahaha - it sure is his fault, which is why he is making all the money :)

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I owned an insurance agency for 14 years... talk about boring and depressing.  Thankfully it gave me a financial foundation that seems to be allowing me to transition into real estate at a higher level than most start.  I find it exciting and not all that scary... and the free time allows me to spend time on things that bring me joy.  I can target projects that excite me.  I am less busy than I have ever been and if my projects sell for anywhere near the current comps,  2016 it will be the best year financially that I have ever had.  Life is very, very good.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Bertolino:

    I owned an insurance agency for 14 years... talk about boring and depressing.  Thankfully it gave me a financial foundation that seems to be allowing me to transition into real estate at a higher level than most start.  I find it exciting and not all that scary... and the free time allows me to spend time on things that bring me joy.  I can target projects that excite me.  I am less busy than I have ever been and if my projects sell for anywhere near the current comps,  2016 it will be the best year financially that I have ever had.  Life is very, very good.   

     Nice, Joe! 2015 was the best ever for me. And 2016 is looking to be better yet. I've not worked a job in years, and this year I got my wife out as well. I am busy building businesses, however have a lot of time to reflect as well - hence is this post :)

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I can relate.  I have secured my projects for the next 6-8 months and I was feeling a little restless so I am now spearheading a fundraising drive for the little league that is located in my farm area.   It's a rapidly gentrifying area but the little league needs some serious help.  I'll harass my friends and business contacts until those kids have what they need.  

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    Humor is a good problem solver.

    Frank

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Franklin Romine:

    Humor is a good problem solver.

    Frank

     Hahah - The problem is that @Bill Gulley and I don't know whether to laugh or cry...hahah

    I chose to laugh, but it's sad :)

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:
    Originally posted by @Franklin Romine:

    Humor is a good problem solver.

    Frank

     Hahah - The problem is that @Bill Gulley and I don't know whether to laugh or cry...hahah

    I chose to laugh, but it's sad :)

     Another Brandy, bartender!

    And no water, the horse will not drink it! :))

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Haha - the horse won't drink the damn water, @Bill Gulley. That's a title right there.

    And the subtitle - all the horse wants is a TK Pig to play with :)

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich, I understand you're looking for a deeper answer.  One problem with reaching your dreams or goals is wondering where the prize is.  Other than being president or sitting on the Supreme Court I reached the goals I set as a teenager.  About 3 years ago I decided to ramp up my investing in real estate.  I bought out all the other partners in the real estate investment company I was in and purchased 7 more doors last year.  All of this was while I worked a full time high stress job.  I also am the main handyman for over 30 doors now, not because I want to but because of cost and necessity.  I put 4 and 1/2 new roofs on buildings this year and on only one of them did I pay a contractor to do it.  The cost is well over 4 X for that roof compared to the other ones.  About a month ago after working weeks of 16 hour days and a 2 week trial of trying to put a guy in prison for sexual assault I began thinking about giving up my day job.  I have been about useless since then.  I realized the things I did for recreation were gone.  I had not gone to the mountains hunting for 3 years and I had even quit playing online fantasy RPG games this spring.  I suspect that burnout is playing a big role, but you have to think about why you are working 14 hour days.  If you do not have a true vision of a goal that is fulfilling then reaching it or milestones of it will not have the satisfaction you hoped for.

        Reflection and self searching is a very healthy thing.  It also helps to have folks talk with us to help us see what we do not or even just to listen and say I understand.  The fellow who was caustic to your post is clearly in a different phase of investing.  It is only after success has become a reality in some ways that these questions begin to slip unbidden into our minds.  When I am in an active fire as a fireman I never have questions about why am I here and the meaning of life.  Perhaps it would help if I had kept a journal from my younger days of my worries of having money for rent or even food to eat.  The satisfaction of hunting may even have been intensified by the real need to put food on the table for my family.  I still enjoy wild game meat but it is not the same.  I can still recall the first time I had money to buy a really nice Christmas present for my children.  I suppose that is why it is easy to spoil children; the thrill of giving especially after having years of not being able to give.

        Thanks for the post Ben.  Maybe these are the kind of things that folks like to discuss in private, but we all need to think of them.  Look at your spouse, remember your courtship, the trials you overcame.  Think of the love you have for your children and family, recall how there were times you could not help them or were unable to give them what you knew they deserved.  Finally look at the cancer wards especially the ones with young children.  A young man I watched grow up that was a really nice kid found love got married, got a good job and they had a beautiful daughter.  The daughter developed a brain tumor.  Eventually he had to take a leave of absence from work to be with his family in the children's hospital in Denver.  The treatments ended about 4 months ago, and I hear she had some bad test results.  I struggle with what to say to him when I see him.  Then I go and hug my children and grandchildren and am thankful they are here.  Bad things that happen are terrible, but they can help us remember all of the beautiful things we have and take for granted.  Be safe and well Ben.

  • Investor · lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    great post ! 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerry W.- you've captured an essence there with prime examples of things we face in our investing, career, parenting and life in general.  Thank you!  Would vote for ya twice if I could.  Found out a month ago one of our fellow Cub Scout leader's sons has leukemia.  That will put things in perspective for you, just like your friend. 

    We all face fears and feel a little lost at times. I miss the days when my only goal was to acquire and build.  Grow.  In the middle of it we can get so busy in the grind, we need to stop and reflect to recognize we haven't been doing the things that used to bring us joy. Like hunting for you, fishing, biking, billiards, etc. for me.  Like any achievement goal, we need to write it down and hold ourselves accountable to that, too!

    'Fun' is now painting an apt with my sons, for example.  My 10-year old cut in for the first time yesterday.  He was so proud.  Been rolling since he was 8, but lit up with brush in hand.  I love the life lessons DIY RE landlording allows me to teach my boys.  I often feel that is my higher purpose, ya know?  If I change my family tree now and instill work and business ethic and knowledge into my next generation, I will have done something that matters.  That and treating my renters, associates & vendors right along the way.

    Thanks for the discussion @Ben Leybovich!  If all I saw was another 'how do I start?' post today, I was gonna puke!  Cheers!   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.