Are You Depressed?

Are You Depressed?

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Real Estate is so freaking boring… and yet that’s all we talk about. Why – is it because this is all we are interested in?

How about the meaning of life – would you engage in a conversation about the meaning of life? How about depression – would you talk about that? I know many of you, if not most, are affected. How about fear of failure? How about any Damn thing that really matters in life – children, illness, the future of civilization, future of America, the wars we fight, the wars we don’t fight?

Are we so shallow that real estate is the only thing that matters to us?

Don’t tell me you’re not scared  – I know many of you are...

Let’s talk about things that matter for once.

Any takers? 

5Reply
193 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Westchester, IL · Member since 2009 · 126 posts · 55 votes
10y

I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

See this reply in the discussion

142 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Folks come back from Afghanistan without limbs having fought in a war a lot of them did not believe in, but the oil industry made out pretty well. Autism is an epidemic, and yet we vaccinate children into oblivion without a thought for testing for predisposition - can you say pharma? Diabetes and cancer is everywhere. Genetic modification of that which is supposed to be our food is now the norm - any surprise everyone is sick...?!

    At some point WHY we do what we do has to become of the essence more so than WHAT we do. That, I believe, is the key to seeing things through...

    Catch that, Mr. Newbie? Or do you still wanna talk about nonsense like REI :) ?

    Thanks for not only seeing, guys, but also having vision. It is severely lacking on BP today! You are not the norm...

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Bill Gulley why do you do this to me?  You know I had to look up what anxiolytic meant?  I am supposed to be putting up a new fancy wrought iron (aluminum) fence for my wife who is tired of having horse corral panels keeping the deer out of our backyard.  She especially doesn't like my wedging it against the house and our neighbors six foot tall white nylon privacy fence to keep it up.  Maybe I should go saddle up one of my horses, it has been so long they won't know what a saddle is so it will be exciting.  Hell I might not remember how to put one on.  My wife says I might break a hip doing things like that, but better to say I broke a hip riding horses than slipping on the ice on my sidewalk.  I have to find an axiolytic.  The weather is too cold to drink beer and watch my bug zapper at night, maybe I will just lean the wheelbarrow up against the fence and use bailing wire to brace it and call it good, go get some beer and watch Nascar.  My head always hurts after trying to follow the deep philosophy of conversations here.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerry W.:

    @Bill Gulley why do you do this to me?  You know I had to look up what anxiolytic meant?  I am supposed to be putting up a new fancy wrought iron (aluminum) fence for my wife who is tired of having horse corral panels keeping the deer out of our backyard.  She especially doesn't like my wedging it against the house and our neighbors six foot tall white nylon privacy fence to keep it up.  Maybe I should go saddle up one of my horses, it has been so long they won't know what a saddle is so it will be exciting.  Hell I might not remember how to put one on.  My wife says I might break a hip doing things like that, but better to say I broke a hip riding horses than slipping on the ice on my sidewalk.  I have to find an axiolytic.  The weather is too cold to drink beer and watch my bug zapper at night, maybe I will just lean the wheelbarrow up against the fence and use bailing wire to brace it and call it good, go get some beer and watch Nascar.  My head always hurts after trying to follow the deep philosophy of conversations here.

     LOLROTF!

    One of the small joys is feeding the deer in my back yard, they love dry dog food. Sounds like we do similar handyman work on our own places, just staple some wire on your house, get an 8' 2x4 as a post and put a rope loop at the top of your neighbor's fence. 

    Having grand kids means you're not Roy Rogers anymore! I suggest you not wear spurs if you haven't ridden in awhile, I did that and the horse took off in a dead run and then stopped on a dime and I flew the rest of the way!

    Have a few beers inside by the fireplace.   Your wife is your anxiolytic cowboy, not your horse! :)

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich@jake stenziano

    HI Ben

    If you find real estate boring, then become a teacher.  To be motivated and engaged in life, I know a lot of successful people who live by the mantra: learn, do, teach.

    Once you reach your level of success, it may be time to engage beginners and give back.  People are happy when they are in the service of others, and becoming a mentor/coach is a great way to share you talents with others.  Who knows, you may even get paid for your services? If you are bored, it just means that you have hit a level of comfort, and you have temporarily stopped your path or personal growth.  Step out of your comfort zone, and start taking more chances

    Gino

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gino Barbaro:

    @Ben Leybovich@jake stenziano

    HI Ben

    If you find real estate boring, then become a teacher.  To be motivated and engaged in life, I know a lot of successful people who live by the mantra: learn, do, teach.

    Once you reach your level of success, it may be time to engage beginners and give back.  People are happy when they are in the service of others, and becoming a mentor/coach is a great way to share you talents with others.  Who knows, you may even get paid for your services? If you are bored, it just means that you have hit a level of comfort, and you have temporarily stopped your path or personal growth.  Step out of your comfort zone, and start taking more chances

    Gino

     Hah - I am a teacher. Earlier in life i was a violin teacher. Now I stick to RE. That's the best thing going, specifically since I tend to attract people of substance...

  • Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 157 votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich writes:

    Let’s talk about things that matter for once.

    Any takers?

    I'll take a ticket!

    Hi Ben! 

    I write this post from a deep interest in all things human, an interest I did not have just a short time ago. And I write from a position of not caring too much what anyone thinks. I find this gives me a freedom (and precision) that was often missing from earlier attempts at deciphering life. I can *not* say I have figured anything out - let's be clear on that - but I can say that I am able to see things differently than ever before, and for that, I feel extraordinarily lucky.

    Ben, you write:

    Real Estate is so freaking boring… and yet that’s all we talk about. Why – is it because this is all we are interested in?

    I think we all ruminate about all of these things, all the time. And I think a lot of posters on BP use RE as a proxy - wittingly or not - to 'discuss' intimate issues that affect them deeply. "How do I start?" is a request for direction in life. "Renter did some egregious thing, what should I do?" is a request for permission to act definitively in one's own best interests, regardless of outside approval (which is somehow always needed). "Contractor f*cked me, now I'm a victim" is a request for confirmation of a confirmation bias. Yes, lols all around, but it's all fairly true.

    Why do we use RE to talk about the deeper issues?

    Well, because life's issues are hard to talk about (right, Ryan?). Life's issues are difficult to even define (which is a requirement to solving any problem at all), and even the successful definition of a problem brings many, many ancillary issues to the fore. (This can be an entirely separate post, btw.)

    I believe any problem that presents in life is a simple stand-in for deeper issues - issues that are often so enmeshed into one's own personality that their (eventual) resolution (aka transformation) requires a disintegration of self (literally, a dis-integration), and a subsequent rebuilding of the self. (Yes, heavy stuff, but also why this is such a difficult - and rare - nut to crack.)

    Ben, you are asking deep questions that no one else on the forum is asking - why is that? 

    @Jerry W. says it well:

    It is only after success has become a reality in some ways that these questions begin to slip unbidden into our minds.

    There is something in your life that is bringing these questions to the front - perhaps many things. I know from your writing and podcasts what some of these issues are (so I have cheated, in a sense, on this question!), but it's the same for anyone who is asking deep questions and seeking more than a basic existence. Anyone asking this has an inkling that there is more - so much more - to this life than what currently *is* - no matter how good, or peer-approved, or shiny, or exclusive, or C-notey, or Lear-jetty, or whatever. Anyone asking this question has reached the top and has felt... not much.

    You are there. You have done a lot in your life - more than most - and you have realized that you need something deeper - a deeper sense of satisfaction, of contentment, of peace. Sometimes, small glimpses of these states come to us - in helping others, in connecting, in altruistic acts, in charity - but overall, these states are elusive in continuous form. I think this is what you are after.

    @Jerry W. also says it more concisely than I do:

    Reflection and self searching is a very healthy thing.

    I can write more if it's helpful, but I feel this is a good start. There is a lot to explore here, and I think your questions are the beginning of a wonderfully introspective journey, one that will no doubt bring you much more satisfaction than any investment ever would (though I do believe very much in the awesome feeling of a great investment!)

    Again, I'll quote Jerry W:

    Thanks for the post Ben. Maybe these are the kind of things that folks like to discuss in private, but we all need to think of them.

    Thanks much, Ben, and take it easy!

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich

    Haha. Is that why I was attracted to your post?

    Gino

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerry W. and @Doug N. - thanks guys!

    BP has a heart-beat after all...

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gino Barbaro:

    @Ben Leybovich

    Haha. Is that why I was attracted to your post?

    Gino

     Either that, or my extremely good looks :)

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    how exactly did the oil companies benefit from the war in Afghanistan?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cal C.:

    how exactly did the oil companies benefit from the war in Afghanistan?  

     Ask British Petroleum :) 

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I'm asking you, you made the statement.  

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ryan ODonnell:

    I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

    I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

    It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

    I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

     I think you meant drivel.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cal C.:

    how exactly did the oil companies benefit from the war in Afghanistan?  

     Cal - Iraq. My bad. So - why exactly did we go into Afghanistan?

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich so many of our problems even the ones about Autism are 1st world problems. Thank you for reminding me of that. Sure the soldiers coming home without limbs have problems but what about those folks who call Afghanistan home and have the same missing limbs. No world class healthcare system to look after them. I am grateful for the relatively small magnitude of my problems despite my incessant whining otherwise.

    It's obviously time to put that canoe in that water that I bought some five years ago but has only been in the water one time. 

    Years ago when I started RE investing my wife made a cross stitch for me. In the middle it said, "the most important things in life aren't things" and around the edge it said "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control."

    Good reminder.

    To answer your original question. No I'm not depressed, but I have been and it's not fun.

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    Real Estate is so freaking boring… and yet that’s all we talk about. Why – is it because this is all we are interested in?

    How about the meaning of life – would you engage in a conversation about the meaning of life? How about depression – would you talk about that? I know many of you, if not most, are affected. How about fear of failure? How about any God Damn thing that really matters in life – children, illness, the future of civilization, future of America, the wars we fight, the wars we don’t fight?

    Are we so shallow that real estate is the only thing that matters to us?

    Don’t tell me you’re not scared  – I know many of you are...

    Let’s talk about things that matter for once.

    Any takers? 

     Great topic! I think you've been watching to many old Russian films Ben.. ;)

    I think pondering the meaning of life (which can be saddening, frustrating, enlightening, confusing, etc.) is very different from clinical depression. I wonder which you are referencing here?

    I have been fortunate to have never been depressed. A lot of things like genetics, lifestyle, and general viewpoint come into play. I have pondered "what really matters" and "why we are here", every adult has.

    Talking about being scared, the only thing I am fearful of is watching my parents grow old. Have zero issues or fear with that regarding myself, though.

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Well 14 years ago I could see a massive building three blocks from my apartment window,  two weeks later when I could finally go back to my apartment (albeit only with a military escort even though I was on active duty at the time) the massive building and the one behind it were gone along with all of the people that worked there.  That might have something to do with it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill S.:

    @Ben Leybovich so many of our problems even the ones about Autism are 1st world problems. Thank you for reminding me of that. Sure the soldiers coming home without limbs have problems but what about those folks who call Afghanistan home and have the same missing limbs. No world class healthcare system to look after them. I am grateful for the relatively small magnitude of my problems despite my incessant whining otherwise.

    It's obviously time to put that canoe in that water that I bought some five years ago but has only been in the water one time. 

    Years ago when I started RE investing my wife made a cross stitch for me. In the middle it said, "the most important things in life aren't things" and around the edge it said "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control."

    Good reminder.

    To answer your original question. No I'm not depressed, but I have been and it's not fun.

     I completely agree, Bill. I hate nothing more than whining liberals. This country is seen from those on the outside as a beacon. Having been born in the Soviet Union, that God forsaken place put on earth for one purpose only, which is to keep a man down, I am acutely aware that America is special.

    Funny enough, folks assumed that I am depressed from the title. Not at all. In fact, the intended purpose of this post was to remind those of us who are struggling that while people out there in the real world have problems, we simply have difficulties.

    Punch it in the mouth, and move on :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Well this was an interesting read...or perusal, at least.  Didn't Johnny Youssef on the latest broadcast say your life has to be more than about making money?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Haha @Andrey Y. - how's you know...?!?!?

    Actually, truth be told, this thing I saw got me thinking:

    Too long to translate into English, but very interesting indeed. I came across it when it came up in my search of things to do with Tesla cars.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cal C.:

    Well 14 years ago I could see a massive building three blocks from my apartment window,  two weeks later when I could finally go back to my apartment (albeit only with a military escort even though I was on active duty at the time) the massive building and the one behind it were gone along with all of the people that worked there.  That might have something to do with it.

     The only problem is that it didn't solve anything, Cal. I wish it did, but all we have is a woken up monster... There might have been more effective ways to get this done :(

  • Rental Property Investor · Hailey, ID · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich Ever thought about starting a podcast? Interviewing guests, talking with other REI people? Different strategies/RE niches?

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    Haha @Andrey Y. - how's you know...?!?!?

    Actually, truth be told, this thing I saw got me thinking:

    Too long to translate into English, but very interesting indeed. I came across it when it came up in my search of things to do with Tesla cars.

     Watched the first 10 minutes, maybe the punchline comes later? ;)

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    Haha @Andrey Y. - how's you know...?!?!?

    Actually, truth be told, this thing I saw got me thinking:

    Too long to translate into English, but very interesting indeed. I came across it when it came up in my search of things to do with Tesla cars.

    The new Lada?

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 132 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    Real Estate is so freaking boring… and yet that’s all we talk about. Why – is it because this is all we are interested in?

    How about the meaning of life – would you engage in a conversation about the meaning of life? How about depression – would you talk about that? I know many of you, if not most, are affected. How about fear of failure? How about any Damn thing that really matters in life – children, illness, the future of civilization, future of America, the wars we fight, the wars we don’t fight?

    Are we so shallow that real estate is the only thing that matters to us?

    Don’t tell me you’re not scared  – I know many of you are...

    Let’s talk about things that matter for once.

    Any takers? 

     Ben, this makes me laugh. My first thought is to maybe get a few strong drinks and stop worrying!

    I spend a lot of time thinking about history, politics, and the future. I wouldn't normally mention these topics on a site like this, because I wouldn't want to be banned. These things are very controversial, of course..

    Someone mentioned Afghanistan. I believe the "wars" we fight are not one-dimensional, but serve a number of different purposes. The wars in the Middle East are often attributed to oil, but there are other interests at play. Israel, for example, seeks to form a "Greater Israel", by acquiring land from neighboring nations. The real reasons behind our foreign policy are explained in papers such as "A Clean Break:  A New Strategy for Securing the Realm". 

    Afghanistan is interesting. On the one hand, oil pipelines are significant in geopolitics, and this happens to be the case with Afghanistan. On the other hand, the country is the largest source of Opium. Since the war, the production of Opium has increased by several times. And who are the largest drug money launderers? The biggest banks. HSBC has roots dating with the Chinese Opium War. Afghanistan is also strategically positioned in Asia, centered among the Middle East, India, China, and Central Asia.

    The future of America and Civilization? That is uncertain. There are those that wish to destroy Western Civilization through the miscegenation of the European Peoples (Kalergi Plan). This is currently happening in Europe and the US, and is epitomized by the current "migrant crisis" in the EU. Europe will be part of a Muslim Caliphate within the next few decades with Europeans in the minority if current trends continue. The fate of America will depend on what the politicians decide to do regarding immigration policy here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.