Be Careful of Dead Equity!!

Be Careful of Dead Equity!!

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

What prevents us all from becoming super wealthy?  Plain and simple it is the return you get from your net worth.  So, for an experiment take your net worth.  That means, if you were to sell everything today and paid off all your loans etc...  What would you be left with?

A few years ago I figured out that if I were to do this, I would have about $2,500,000.00 in Equity or Net Worth.  I thought that was something else at 49 years old.  Then I calculated my ROE or Return On Equity.  I figured out that our passive income from all this RE was at $72,000 a year.  To figure out my ROE, I took that passive income and divided it by my $2,500,000 in equity or Net Worth.  Guess what?  It wasn't very impressive.  My Return on Equity or my return on Net Worth was almost 3%.

Wow!! That was a real eye opener.  That was pathetic.  What that told me was that I had too much dead equity sitting in pricey California single family rental properties.  So, what I did was learned and read and learned and read and attended seminars etc...  What I learned was people with dead equity and were successful RE investors took that equity and did one of 2 things.  The first was they refinanced that equity out (tax free) or the route I took, which was the incredible tool called the 1031 exchange.  

All I did was started to trade this pricey San Diego Re in for undervalue apartment complexes in Ohio.  Right now our passive income has risen to $120,000.00 a year and our ROE is now up to about 5%.  Again, this is tax deferred and the Net Worth is still the same.  The difference was, increasing the front doors from 12 to 78.  That is including 2 personal residences that don't give us any passive income.  Those personal residences have loans and take money out of our pocket each month.

Remember, If you keep the proper leveraged debt 30-50% on each property you keep a level of safety and ROE. Let me know what your ROE is currently and what you plan to do about it.

Happy and prosperous New Year to all here at BP!!!

Swanny

35Reply
275 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
9y

My opinion has always been that equity in a property is a liability not a asset. The most troubling issue I have with novice/inexperienced investors is they have absolutely no concept of the value of cash, the opportunity value to generate more cash.

Novice investors state that paying down a mortgage increases cash flow, they keep their rents below market, they do not apply annual rent increases. They do not understand that all of those things depreciate a investment. They have no concept that  when a property appreciates their returns are dwindling away. Clearly no concept of the value of cash. These I refer to as hobby investors, regardless of their net worth, as they never see beyond the money coming in.

The biggest hurdle novice investors face is looking beyond the money they are making. They never see the money they are not making. By doing that most overlook the unlimited amount of income they do not even know they are losing. That's right, it is not that they are not making it they are actually losing it and 9 times out of 10 it is because they have no concept of the value of cash. Having equity in a property is reducing cash flow and throwing income away. Appreciation is a double edged sword that money hoarders never benefit from.

Investors holding dead equity are looking at a diminishing dream. A someday thing. Thanks but no thanks I'll take the cash, every dime I can generate, before I die.

See this reply in the discussion

109 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ethan Cooke:

    Thanks Michael for starting a great discussion and thanks everyone for great contributions. 

    I am new to BP and really enjoying the learning. I own 3 SFR's in San Francisco which are leveraged at about 65% LTV. I have invested in SF because I know the market and the long-term appreciation is great. But like @Michael Swan, @Account Closed and @Amy Greger, I am considering shifting into a higher cash-flow market (presumably with less appreciation). 

    What markets should I be researching and who should I connect with who knows various markets in the West? I'm seeking a market with: 

    - good cash flow

    - decent appreciation 

    - low volatility

    - ideally reachable in 2-3 hours (by car or plane) from San Francisco

    Thanks!

    When rei hedge funds are surveyed, the vast majority make most of their returns via appreciation.

    The new president elect says "real estate is an appreciation game" and if one is to believe his financial statements 80%-90% is "dead equity." Some of the dead equity is in Cali, LA ocean front and SF. It should be noted that dead equity produces hundreds of millions in cash flow. 

    The Trumps did do a project in Cincy 40 years ago with 1000+ units. Donald was 25 years old and headed to run the project. Purchased in a sherrif's sale and they were the only bidders. Turned it around and sold it several years later. It changed hands a few times since and fast forward decades eventually those "1000 cash flow units" went abandon, bankrupt and now I think has been turned into low income housing. At one point there were 300 evictions going on at the sametime before it was abandoned. Btw all the owners were out of state. 

    Good luck with your search!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Peter Mckernan,

    I love the Newport Beach Area.  Someday I will be able to rent one of those places.  Thank you for the kind words.  I keep learning everyday.  

    @Matt R. Thank you for giving me a counter example of how in certain instances that keeping that equity in place, could be beneficial in the future.  We all need to make that decision based on our experiences etc.  I am glad that you presented the information above that you did.  The properties I purchased in 2011, 2012, and 2013 in San Diego were all 1br, 2br, and 3 br condos.  They have individual insurance, management, utilities, etc.. to deal with. They were in Santee and Lakeside California.  By no means highly desirable.  They were in solid lowere middle class areas of San Diego.  You would call them solid C class products.  The prices on these condos had doubled in a three to four year period.  I did not feel that incomes could support these inflated prices.  I have lived in San Diego since 1978 and have seen this rerun before.  Now if it was prime beach front or some kind of highly desired property, that would have bee different. These were run of the mill condos in a lower middle class area of San Diego.

    Our plan all along was to sell when prices doubled and they were starting to give loans to Morons. In 2015 and 2016 we pulled the trigger and realized that when we went to sell these condos many had sub par credit and not much money in the bank. FHA Loans with 3% down was commonplace and low 600 credit scores to boot. Sooooo, we 1031 exchanged that incredible equity for what I have described in our thread. Was it the right thing to do. Only time will tell.

    Swanny

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Oh I forgot to tell you @Peter Mckernan

    We still have two personal residences with about $600,000 equity and one 2br 1bath Rental Condo in Santee, Ca. with about $190,000 equity. We have not sold that rental property. We bought it with about $30,000 down for $100,000 in 2011 and it is now worth about $250,000. The HOA fees have risen to $300.00 on that one. The tenants have a lease until July 2017. The most it could rent for is $1500.00 right now. You see why we want to get that equity out, before the values get way above the incomes of the buyers?

    We have a good problem.  I think.  Heads I win and tails you lose.  With only $70,000 debt on a $250,000 property. That is similar to the 9 others we 1031 exchanged for Apartment complexes in Ohio.  Sooooooo, we still have lots of equity still in pricey unsustainable middle class areas of San Diego.

    Swanny

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michael Swan:

    Hi @Peter Mckernan,

    I love the Newport Beach Area.  Someday I will be able to rent one of those places.  Thank you for the kind words.  I keep learning everyday.  

    @Matt R. Thank you for giving me a counter example of how in certain instances that keeping that equity in place, could be beneficial in the future.  We all need to make that decision based on our experiences etc.  I am glad that you presented the information above that you did.  The properties I purchased in 2011, 2012, and 2013 in San Diego were all 1br, 2br, and 3 br condos.  They have individual insurance, management, utilities, etc.. to deal with. They were in Santee and Lakeside California.  By no means highly desirable.  They were in solid lowere middle class areas of San Diego.  You would call them solid C class products.  The prices on these condos had doubled in a three to four year period.  I did not feel that incomes could support these inflated prices.  I have lived in San Diego since 1978 and have seen this rerun before.  Now if it was prime beach front or some kind of highly desired property, that would have bee different. These were run of the mill condos in a lower middle class area of San Diego.

    Our plan all along was to sell when prices doubled and they were starting to give loans to Morons. In 2015 and 2016 we pulled the trigger and realized that when we went to sell these condos many had sub par credit and not much money in the bank. FHA Loans with 3% down was commonplace and low 600 credit scores to boot. Sooooo, we 1031 exchanged that incredible equity for what I have described in our thread. Was it the right thing to do. Only time will tell.

    Swanny

    Right on. I am not personally seeing bad credit buyers yet. Although the couple I recently sold a townie to had a zero down VA. Those hoas can be an issue either way, Typically run of the mill socal stuff does about the same as the best of most other states and cities do historically speaking. There is much better in Cali than the run of mill but tough to find those at deal prices today. Many say they always seem like they overpaid regardless when they got in those top spots though. Good luck!

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Here is Trumps SF building, he owns 30%. Doubtful he sells and at this point what could he get better ( higher rents) ?

    Dead center brown one. He does own one Beverly Hills home too but just his personal LA residence. 

    Bev Hills Trump home across the street from the Beverly Hills Hotel and home is on Rodeo Drive. Worth 30 million?

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:

    @Andrey Y., really? At this point in the economic cycle, would you consider you had a better "hedge against economic difficulties" at 90% leverage, or 25%?

    Or do you not care, because you reckon it's (only?) the BANKS taking up to a 90% risk?

    Fact is, SOME properties that are worth $800k today, may only be worth $550k "tomorrow".

    Would you want to be the person who still owed $720k (90%) on it?

    Personally, I'm all for having a "partial hedge against economic difficulties"! Cheers...

     No need to puff your chest out. I am all for having a partial hedge myself.. unfortunately, there isn't one in the scenario discussed (if properties are less leveraged but NOT free and clear).

    The monthly payment does not change. Rents are often higher in an economic downturn. So where is this "partial hedge"?. I'll wait. :)

    @Matt R - Bingo!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Matt R.

    I am flattered you compare my RE to Trump RE.  Just call me little Swanny Trump!!  We need better jobs here in San Diego to support much higher prices.  That doesn't mean the service jobs they have been talking about and the excitement revolving around the minimum wage increase, eventually rising to $15.00 an hour some day.  We need some good construction jobs etc... The regulation is insane to try and build anything here in San Diego.  We do have a lot of low paying service jobs.  I can say that much.  Hospitality industry jobs too.  I just don't see enough  high paying jobs here in San Diego.  Plus, where my condos were located, it is about 40 minutes from downtown or any beaches.  It is considered East County.  Lots of big trucks etc...  

    Swanny

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michael Swan:

    Hi @Matt R.

    I am flattered you compare my RE to Trump RE.  Just call me little Swanny Trump!!  We need better jobs here in San Diego to support much higher prices.  That doesn't mean the service jobs they have been talking about and the excitement revolving around the minimum wage increase, eventually rising to $15.00 an hour some day.  We need some good construction jobs etc... The regulation is insane to try and build anything here in San Diego.  We do have a lot of low paying service jobs.  I can say that much.  Hospitality industry jobs too.  I just don't see enough  high paying jobs here in San Diego.  Plus, where my condos were located, it is about 40 minutes from downtown or any beaches.  It is considered East County.  Lots of big trucks etc...  

    Swanny

    Same game as Trump minus a couple zeros and add couple thousand miles. REI known risks and rewards are identical.

    Consider a couple making $15 an hour each with 3% down could nearly qualify for 300k. That will likely be the floor for prices sooner than later for anywhere in SD County. That puts the floor for rents around $1800 for let's say 2bd apt. The better locations up from there is almost the fosho future. 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Here is what Trumps 1000 units he bought in Cincy ended up looking like years later. When he purchased it there were 800 vacancies and no one local would touch it ever again. He basically was the only one who ever made a penny but idk for sure he may have lost still. It was the largest apartment complex in Cincy and abandoned for more than a decade until someone (city) bought the land up for single family homes. This video was from 2002 ish and this property was not redeveloped until recently. It could also be wise to say "be careful of chasing out of area cash flow" and far more risky than any dead equity ever could be. 

    https://youtu.be/KPzAHqlK3NA

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    The great Swanny, your lack of confidence in San Diego I find odd as a former full time market researcher.

    Cleveland population 

    1950 914,000

    2015 388,000

    Down 2.2% since 2010- 15

    San Diego 

    1950 334,000

    2015 1,394,000

    Up 6.7% since 2010-15

    Cleveland greater area population 2 mil 2010 and down 3% since 2000. No stats for last 5 years but give or take one percent?

    San Diego greater area 3.2 mil, up 6% since 2010 or 200k residents or more than 50% of Clevelands total population in only 5 years.

    Your C average personal investment property, condos and townies even doubles value in that same five years when they don't build enough housing. This is the exact opposite by and large is what is happening in your new market. This is very general overview and small, very small pockets could be another story I realize. Understand this would likely not past the muster if you had to present these same two areas stats to professional multi investor clients when it is that clear what market is the more historically and currently substainable for residential profits long term. I am not here to say it is wrong but perhaps most unconventional yes. Unless you have identified one of those downtown or other booming westside pockets beforehand. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt R.  chasing yield is all it is.. choose wisely and you can do OK choose poorly and you get taken to the cleaners

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Matt R.

    I must have struck a chord with you on my decision to move some of my equity to Ohio. I seem to remember much of the same talk, when people were telling me about 10 years ago that you will not be able to find a house for under 1 million dollars in San Diego. I look at Ohio now and see a little more appreciation than California in the most recent quarter. I see some areas of Ohio that I have recently been investing, increasing population. Jobs are coming back and good jobs. More importantly, my apartment complexes and single family in Ohio have 3 vacancies out of all my front doors, Increasing NOI is my game now and accordingly increasing the value of my complexes. I will keep my personal residences and my one rental condo left here in San Diego and sit on that equity for now. Remember, originally my goal was to simply supplement my monthly teaching income and appreciation just happened. I was lucky, blessed, or whatever you want to call it.

    I sense a little friendly difference of opinion here.  As I said before, only time will tell.  It is exciting just debating and giving our opinions.  I am sticking to my game plan.  When the correction occurs, I will have lots of forced appreciation in a stable less reactive market.  The values are more consistent and don't swing soooooo high and soooooo low.  However, if the trend continues my single family in Ohio may double pretty soon.  Right now they have appreciated approximately 30-40% since I bought them at the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015.  My average all in price was about $30,000 a hous and they are now worth anywhere from $40,000-$50,000 on average.  Plus, I have also collected like clockwork $400.00 cash flow per single family for about 2 years now too.  When the values tumble in San Diego I will have reserves built up to rinse and repeat and to buy again in San Diego again. It is just one man's opinion.  I feel honored that you would call me the Great Swanny.

    It is rather simple, buy low and sell high.  Whenever people say you have to buy now, I most likely will sell.  When the prices go way up, I will sell and when people say the sky is falling I will most likely go all in.  That's why I was so successful with my purchases in San Diego and I will be successful forcing appreciation in Ohio.

    I have no crystal ball, but I would rather buy low than high.  I asked my RE agent in Ohio if she could get me some of those deals for single family like I did at the end of 2014 and the beginning of 2015 and she said no way.  You can't find deals like that anymore.

    When those 8 single family I have double in value by this summer or next,  you better believe I will take out at least 50% of the equity or 1031 exchange those to other area I believe to be at a good value.  Especially, when you just through out the gloom and doom stats in your last post.  That was the same kind of gloom and doom people told me when I was buying my condos here in San Diego.  They said I was crazy buying at those low prices and RE would never come back to those same levels in San Diego.  I'm glad they were wrong.

    Keep those accolades coming Matt.  You are giving me a big head here.

    Respectfully yours,

    Swanny

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Andrey Y.:
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:

    @Andrey Y., really? At this point in the economic cycle, would you consider you had a better "hedge against economic difficulties" at 90% leverage, or 25%?

    Or do you not care, because you reckon it's (only?) the BANKS taking up to a 90% risk?

    Fact is, SOME properties that are worth $800k today, may only be worth $550k "tomorrow".

    Would you want to be the person who still owed $720k (90%) on it?

    Personally, I'm all for having a "partial hedge against economic difficulties"! Cheers...

     No need to puff your chest out. I am all for having a partial hedge myself.. unfortunately, there isn't one in the scenario discussed (if properties are less leveraged but NOT free and clear).

    The monthly payment does not change. Rents are often higher in an economic downturn. So where is this "partial hedge"?. I'll wait. :)

    @Matt R - Bingo!

    Your question was originally addressed to @Jd Martin, who has already answered your (still) persistent questioning about "if properties are less leveraged but NOT free and clear".

    So what if the "monthly payment does not change"? Jd's "partial hedge" (ie. roughly 50% AVERAGE leverage: "some properties have no liens") means that despite any economic down turn, the REMAINING equity in the lessened value of Jd's portfolio means that Jd's still worth MORE than is owed, meaning Jd will still have plenty of options, all of which result in moula, cash, dinero, spondulicks and dollars for Jd to play with (even in that future GFC time)! OK?...

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael Swan Great Buy!!! Yes, I can see why you want to pull that equity out. Continue that strategy and it can double and triple your net worth quickly! 

    Good job! 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt R. Yeah, the VA 0% down can be a tough buy in the sense that you (the buyer) is putting it all on the line to purchase that home/condo/small multifamily. The extended leverage could cause issues in a bad turn in the market. If someone buys with the VA loan the perfect choice would be to have the cash flow build a reserve, and then refi with cash down sooner than later.

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Right on Swanny, no chords really, just interesting to make all your mula in SD and transfer to OH and if that has a better REI future great. I would say historically that has not happened yet nor is it projected. I used to own a stock that paid 20% dividends, sounds great right? Well that stock was called Radio Shack and was on a slow path to being worthless. Many parts of the mid west unfortunately have this in common with RS. They have high initial yields and some see that as the red flag. I own another stock that paid 8% yield this past year. Awesome right? Well it lost 11% in total value. I am not selling but if it continued that would be an issue.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Peter Mckernan:

    @Matt R. Yeah, the VA 0% down can be a tough buy in the sense that you (the buyer) is putting it all on the line to purchase that home/condo/small multifamily. The extended leverage could cause issues in a bad turn in the market. If someone buys with the VA loan the perfect choice would be to have the cash flow build a reserve, and then refi with cash down sooner than later.

    For sure, although I was the seller.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt R. I still have significant equity (low ball $800,000) out of my total low ball 2.4 million still here in San Diego.  That is one third of my equity, here in San Diego.  I do wish my San Diego equity to realistically grow at a sustainable rate.  That means, it will not increase at these astronomical 100% returns that I have seen on my properties the last 5 years.  We need a return to normalcy appreciation wise or we do have a bubble.  All bubbles will burst, eventually.  1/3 of my equity in San Diego is still a little diversification or hedge to my investments.  With interest rates rising, that should be interesting too.  I truly wish us all a prosperous and healthy New Year!!

    Please continue to add to this here as things happen in 2017. We have a little different perspective here regarding equity and net worth compared to the herds of cattle out there ONLY investing in their 401K or IRA in mutual funds and stocks etc.... What do you guys think of a little silver too? Sooooooo many uses for silver etc... Just a thought with the high stock market etc... I don't have any silver right now.

    Swanny

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ethan Cooke:

    Thanks Michael for starting a great discussion and thanks everyone for great contributions. 

    I am new to BP and really enjoying the learning. I own 3 SFR's in San Francisco which are leveraged at about 65% LTV. I have invested in SF because I know the market and the long-term appreciation is great. But like @Michael Swan, @Account Closed and @Amy Greger, I am considering shifting into a higher cash-flow market (presumably with less appreciation). 

    What markets should I be researching and who should I connect with who knows various markets in the West? I'm seeking a market with: 

    - good cash flow

    - decent appreciation 

    - low volatility

    - ideally reachable in 2-3 hours (by car or plane) from San Francisco

    Thanks!

    Maple Valley, Washington which is filled with Boeing and Microsoft employees, has been appreciating like crazy and has good cash flow. I make a ton of cash flow on a 4/2.5 I bought for 300K down 2.5 years ago and it has gone up 110K in value in that time based on CMA. One of the best school districts in the country, and they are quickly running out of land to build.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Jack B. 

    Nice! How much was the Maple Valley property? Is it a SFR?

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Amy Greger:

    @Jack B. 

    Nice! How much was the Maple Valley property? Is it a SFR?

    It was 300K. Yes, SFR, only thing I don't like is the HOA...Will never buy in one again. Other than that I love the property.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Sweet. I like silver but gold is where most go as back stop. Silver sometimes is industrial, sometimes goes with gold. As far as I know they don't start up new silver mines anymore and just mine it as it comes when looking for gold. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt R.

    Thank you for your opinion about Silver as another hedge.

    Take care,

    Swanny

  • Real Estate Investor · Unadilla NY · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 297 votes
    5y

    @Michael Swan Can we get a fast forward update on this post and how it turned out in Ohio? Covid really appreciated housing prices in my market which is how I found this thread looking for debt equity plays.  I just purchased a number of homes in an area where housing prices were low and I believe to see within the next two-three years rapid appreciation ( part covid part minimum wage hikes in NY state ) 

  • Charles A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 282 votes
    5y

    @Dan M.

    I don’t know if Swanny is prepared to tell you the whole truth about Cleveland.

    But I did find out not all that glitters in Ohio is gold.

    I sold my apartment buildings there and returned to Florida.

    I will definitely not be going back there.

    The cash flow everyone keeps telling you on BP is in Ohio RE is a smokescreen unless you have specific local knowledge and street smart team members.

    It’s worse if you fall in the trap of the wrong PMs.

    (Some have a very large footprint here on BP-so beware!).

    My “cash flow adventure” ended in tears even though I had an excellent PM.

    If that tells you anything.

    Look for my member bloog post titled “why I sold Cleveland”

    Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.