how to handle multi offer situation when you really want it

how to handle multi offer situation when you really want it

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes

I posted earlier this week about a lot that came up in Charleston.. my realtor ( who is awesome) e mails me at a little at 10pm her time.. new lot on a little street I have already built two homes on and have been wildly profitable.. I want this lot its the last one then the street is built out.

she docusigns me 5 minutes later  all cash close as soon as title can be done.. ( takes a while in those east coast states.. here in the west coast we can have title done same day) but thats another story.

by the time I hear from here next morning  2 other offers now we are in Highest and best.

So I put in an escalator clause.. thinking my competition may not know of this or their agents.. I offer 2k more than the next highest bid... 

list price was 150k  I would have gone to 180k... on a highest and best.. 

but i put in I would pay 2k more than then next highest and best.. must provide written proof.  the highest and best was 165k and I got it for 167k close in one week..   DONE deal all signed around.. so I saved 13k on my highest and best and beat two other local builders out of it .. LOL..

so kind of proud of myself today.. 

So for you all in hot markets escalator clause works and may not be known in some markets .

24Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
9y

Sometimes I will also write up an escalation addendum that says we will beat an FHA/VA offer by X amount, and conventional offer by Y, and a cash offer by Z. Ive had a lot of luck with that strategy.

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    9y

    Congrats Jay!!  I continue to learn from you.  Where do you write the escalator clause in?  I'm assuming special provisions or is it another contract all together.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Rocky V.  seller counters   HIGHEST and BEST  you counter with your escalator.. in some markets agents may never have seen this.. out here on the west coast its very common.

    I think in Charleston over bidding is not all that common an escalator maybe not that common.

    I remember when I first came to Oregon... I was from SF bay area were over bidding was rampant as early as mid 80s... so early 90s when I am buying here I would simply offer 1k to 2k over ask and I got the props 99% of the time Locals NEVER thought or new to offer higher it just was not done.

    but times they be a changing.. 

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Learned this trick from my agent when I was shopping for my own home this summer. Fort Collins market is insane and going 20k-30k over wasn't out of the norm and on average 20 bidders. The house I bought, I won with the escalator cause. So certainly a handy tool to have, as long as 10 others aren't doing the same, haha. 

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs...luv it...will put this in my tool box!

  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Whats to stop me from using the clause and saying $1 more than the highest bidder?
  • New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Recently placed a bid on a property in Chicago. Used escalation clause in a bidding war with ~10 other bids on the table, including cash offers. Semi-excited, in contract at my max cap, about $25k over asking.
  • Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    Hi Jay,

    Hypothetically speaking, what would you have done if the price went up to 190k and you won with the escalator clause at 192k? What would you done then?

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 380 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    I've used escalators before successfully too.  @Lawrence Hasit  if your escalator is only $1 over the next highest, they would view them as equal bids and look at other specifics of the contract.   In truth, they could do that with any amount of escalator but the higher the escalation, the more incentive the seller has to accept your offer.    Jay's offer was quick close and cash so that made it a strong offer anyway and with the escalation they would have little reason to look at the other offers.     I just had an offer accepted for my buyer that was a few % lower than a competing offer but my buyer is quick close and cash also.  (I knew the seller needed to close fast) 

    @Jay Hinrichs I wish you hadn't brought this up... it's better when competing agents don't know about escalation clauses!  :-D

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 380 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Y. In multiple offer situations, I always tell my buyers to bid high enough that you won't feel bad if you don't get it.    That makes a buyer sharpen their pencil before bidding which is as it should be.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 506 posts · 331 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Y. the escalator clause is written:  "Buyer's offer price is $2,000 above the highest other offer submitted on the subject property, with a maximum offer price of $180,000."

    Lots of agents here don't understand them and won't accept them.  None of the banks I buy from will accept them.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Sean Cole  probably because you don't get a lot of overbidding in your market.

    this was a private seller... 

    I am sure you have heard what we have to deal with on the west coast..  Many agents list undermarket to spur a bidding war.. many props will have 10 to 20 offers on them

    I just sold a little dinger Yesterday in Salem oregon  4 offers in 24 hours... and thats a starter house 200k which is about as cheap as a renovated home goes for.

    I sold one Friday in Sacramento it had 3 offers.. and we were able to remove the FHA lender clause and force them to conventional.. so we did not have the flipping time lines to worry about.

    so its market driven for sure.

    @John Semanchuk  well I surmise many agents still don't know about it.. I know the market is hot there but I have not had any bidding wars.. most stuff I sell before completion but offers come in a little under list routinely and we counter to list or higher if they want concessions... ( this of course is new construction infil in the 450 to 650k range there in Charleston)

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 506 posts · 331 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs you're right that we don't get a ton of overbidding but we do see multiple offers on almost every property listed on the MLS. I am very often reminded that Twain said if the world was ending, he'd move to Cincinnati because we're 10 years behind. There's just not a lot of creativity here.

    I'm seeing more and more people buying houses with implied returns in the 10% range so I'm hoping that these folks will get burned and get out of the market.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Daniel Y.  you will normally put a max bid on your escalator clause..

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    I try to assign dollar values to each thing in the contract to create our escalation amount. For instance say a median priced home in my area is $500k....so for say an FHA/VA buyer to compete against a conventional loan, I typically say we need to escalate $5,000 over best offer if I believe the 2nd best offer to be conventional financing. To beat cash with a quick close, with conventional I might assign a $5,000 escalation or a $7500 escalation with FHA/VA. If I am a cash offer...we might only beat the 2nd best by $1,000, maybe up to $2500.

    Now I will also assign values to longer or shorter closing times, ability to perform inspections or waive inspection etc.  

    Just won an offer today using a VA loan and we had to escalate $5,000 over next best offer...and we still almost didnt get it due to it being VA. But my reputation to close deals added some extra weight to our offer too and finally got it done.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    Sometimes I will also write up an escalation addendum that says we will beat an FHA/VA offer by X amount, and conventional offer by Y, and a cash offer by Z. Ive had a lot of luck with that strategy.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Russell Brazil  I was almost going to call you on this one as I know that in negotiating transactions you have regional customs and I was going on my west coast customs...

    but we got it done... even going up this will pencil well ....

    AS much as anything though I wanted to point out as well in these hot markets.. working with a great agent is paramount and wholesalers not so much to not at all.. at least not on the higher end deals we do.  this is our 25th new build... 24 deals from realtors or our own efforts.. ONE from a wholesaler. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs Sometimes some of the regional differences really do blow my mind. Just looking at say Massachusetts where Im originally from where they use a 2 page "contract" which is really just a letter of intent...then they have a lawyer draw up the real purchase and sale agreement, to here in the DC area where our contracts are 50-100 pages long and it is the agents who handle everything with the contracts and no lawyers involved except the title attorney, who really acts as an insurance salesman and not an attorney.

    I remember reading on these forums that there was some place where the tenants provide their own appliances.....I couldnt even fathom that.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Russell Brazil  Illinois is the same way as Mass.  realtors hardly know their way around a contract they just get a basic one done and it goes to the lawyer.

    so you now have the lawyers filling out repair addendums and other negotiating things..

    so lets see buyer seller.... buyer agent  seller agent.. buyer attorney seller attorney..  title co .. for the insurance policy.. its a tough place to operate.

    west coast is same as you we handle everything.. Really the only time you would ever have an attorney involved in a vanilla SFR transaction is if it blew up and people are threatening others with litigation .. other wise we never ever speak to an attorney... The Title companies are also the escrow companies and its all the national players.. Fidelity Fatco WFG Ticor etc etc.. I find them to be heads and tails above most of the attorney closers simply because they have huge budgets and unbelievable customer service.

    Like we never go to a closing.. and checks are all hand delivered for our commissions from couriers.. the title company pays for... 24/7 access to their data bases if your a big enough account.

    customer service dial in and get a trio in 90 seconds.. in our area that is a copy of the last recorded deed the tax information from the county and a plat map... so in 90 seconds you know who owns it all the tax info and a plat map.. all for free.

    then for  me as a land developer there is the whole developers service department they run our plats do all sorts of work all for free.  of course we are loyal and use them for all the title and escrow..

    So in an Attorney state the Attorneys simply are not able to provide anywhere near these services and in many areas the records are still in the 1700 s  literally you have to go to court house to pull docs..  All of our title plants now rest in the Philippines and title is pulled in a matter of hours..

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Russell Brazil  I was almost going to call you on this one as I know that in negotiating transactions you have regional customs and I was going on my west coast customs...

    but we got it done... even going up this will pencil well ....

    AS much as anything though I wanted to point out as well in these hot markets.. working with a great agent is paramount and wholesalers not so much to not at all.. at least not on the higher end deals we do.  this is our 25th new build... 24 deals from realtors or our own efforts.. ONE from a wholesaler. 

    I would also add that in a hot market, if you are adding real, honest to God value, as in developing out a lot in your case Jay, then it is possible to essentially pay market value and still make a great return. Alternately, if you are in a hot market, have no money, aren't willing to work your tail off, have no skills to add any real value, etc. then you should have no reasonable expectation of making any return at all, and if you do then it is probably coming via ill gotten ways.

    Wasn't there a Led Zeplin song with lyrics something like "...and he's buying an escalator to heaven"  Jay? :)

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David Faulkner:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Russell Brazil  I was almost going to call you on this one as I know that in negotiating transactions you have regional customs and I was going on my west coast customs...

    but we got it done... even going up this will pencil well ....

    AS much as anything though I wanted to point out as well in these hot markets.. working with a great agent is paramount and wholesalers not so much to not at all.. at least not on the higher end deals we do.  this is our 25th new build... 24 deals from realtors or our own efforts.. ONE from a wholesaler. 

    I would also add that in a hot market, if you are adding real, honest to God value, as in developing out a lot in your case Jay, then it is possible to essentially pay market value and still make a great return. Alternately, if you are in a hot market, have no money, aren't willing to work your tail off, have no skills to add any real value, etc. then you should have no reasonable expectation of making any return at all, and if you do then it is probably coming via ill gotten ways.

    Wasn't there a Led Zeplin song with lyrics something like "...and he's buying an escalator to heaven"  Jay? :)

    Im not sure I follow your thoughts here.  I think in a hot market its far easier to make a great return even if you are a buffoon. Buy a property, hold it, make money.  I do consider myself a fairly smart individual...but I dont think my success in real estate investing is because of that, its merely because I bought properties and held them as prices continued to rise.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @David Faulkner:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Russell Brazil  I was almost going to call you on this one as I know that in negotiating transactions you have regional customs and I was going on my west coast customs...

    but we got it done... even going up this will pencil well ....

    AS much as anything though I wanted to point out as well in these hot markets.. working with a great agent is paramount and wholesalers not so much to not at all.. at least not on the higher end deals we do.  this is our 25th new build... 24 deals from realtors or our own efforts.. ONE from a wholesaler. 

    I would also add that in a hot market, if you are adding real, honest to God value, as in developing out a lot in your case Jay, then it is possible to essentially pay market value and still make a great return. Alternately, if you are in a hot market, have no money, aren't willing to work your tail off, have no skills to add any real value, etc. then you should have no reasonable expectation of making any return at all, and if you do then it is probably coming via ill gotten ways.

    Wasn't there a Led Zeplin song with lyrics something like "...and he's buying an escalator to heaven"  Jay? :)

    Im not sure I follow your thoughts here.  I think in a hot market its far easier to make a great return even if you are a buffoon. Buy a property, hold it, make money.  I do consider myself a fairly smart individual...but I dont think my success in real estate investing is because of that, its merely because I bought properties and held them as prices continued to rise.

    You have a point there ... perhaps I should modify my statement to say that this is what will work most consistently in any market, hot or cold.

  • Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 86 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sean Cole:

    @Daniel Y. the escalator clause is written:  "Buyer's offer price is $2,000 above the highest other offer submitted on the subject property, with a maximum offer price of $180,000."

    Lots of agents here don't understand them and won't accept them.  None of the banks I buy from will accept them.

     Hey Sean,

    Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like it can become a handy tool when used correctly.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sean Cole:

    @Daniel Y. the escalator clause is written:  "Buyer's offer price is $2,000 above the highest other offer submitted on the subject property, with a maximum offer price of $180,000."

    Lots of agents here don't understand them and won't accept them.  None of the banks I buy from will accept them.

    If certain Agents and Banks don't accept that millions of transactions are done like this every day (ebay for example), then you should probably be looking for different Agents and Banks!

    What possible (legitimate) objection could they have?...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs, this is so helpful. I can't believe nobody has ever told me about this, or I have never seen this come in on any offers from my listings. I am going to implement this starting tomorrow. One of my current clients has bid multiple times on homes and we have made it to second place a few times! This will probably be the difference for us. Thanks! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs, do you just add it to the "additional provisions" line of the offer? Or is there a separate addendum you write for it? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.