• Banker
  • sydney, Nova Scotia
Votes |
tough decisions

Stephen Leblanc
  • Banker
  • sydney, Nova Scotia
Posted Feb 5 2010, 13:07

I'm finding myself in a tough spot. Here is a little history. I'm 31 and a buy and hold investor. I currently have 20 units which are doing quite well, and are not taking up too much of my time (2-4 hrs a week).
I have a full time job at the local credit union and I'm close to being topped out in my pay scale, and it's the highest paying job in the organization, without becoming management. It has a great health plan and a fantastic pension plan. I don't hate my job, but I don't love it either. In my city there is a lot of unemployment and lower paying jobs like Walmart and call-centers.
I would love to quit and take a carpentry trade and get into new home construction. I think I could get a job in this industry but this doesn't seem to pay very well. I would be doing this job strictly for the love of the work.
On my current path of grinding away a life at my 9-5 job I could work till I'm 45, sell my rentals, and live off my investments. I really like the thought of not having to work when I'm 45 and being able to travel and do thing I am passionate about. I am in a very good position in my life right now.
If I change my current path and look for a job I love, I am risking financial security, for day to day happiness. It seems very easy to tell someone else to quit their job and do what they love, but it is very hard when it is your neck on the line. The fact that I have a good job makes the decision much tougher. I realize no one can tell me what to do in my situation, but I would like to hear your thoughts on it. Has anyone else found themselves in my spot and how did it turn out for you. I guess I'm just wondering if I should just suck it up for the next 15 years to be financial sound enough to enjoy the rest of my life.

Steve

Loading replies...