Should You Be the Smartest Person in the Room?

Should You Be the Smartest Person in the Room?

Wholesaler · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 3 votes

Just finished this short article and think this applies to Real Estate Investing. As a newbie I want to learn all I can as quickly as possible. Don't you think it's best to surround yourself with smarter people? Curious to hear your thoughts....https://www.openforum.com/articles/never-be-the-smartest-person-in-the-room/?extlink=of-syndication-sb-p

0Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    There's an existing thread on this topic you might want to check out:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/62/topics/80236-never-be-the-smartest-person-in-the-room

  • Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes
    13y

    I partly agree with the article, @James Swan It is a good thing to surround yourself with smarter people because obviously, you'll learn more from them and ultimately become like them. But I don't think there's anything wrong with you being the smartest person in the room either. It will be a good opportunity for you to display, practice, learn and enhance leadership and management skills. It's also a good opportunity to help others become better by passing on and sharing what you know.

    Even if you're with people less experienced and knowledgeable than you are, there are still life lessons that can be learned and inspiration to be drawn. I think my preference is to be with people who can add more value to me the same way I can bring value to them.

  • William CollinsPro Member
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    13y

    Sometimes it is hard to tell who the smartest person in the room is.

    @James Swan

    I have been in multiple conversations to find out that the well of knowledge for people is great in different areas. They may know nothing about real estate, but they might know a great deal about beer (and one of the businesses I own is a brewery). Treat everyone with respect, and make sure that you seek the council of both the wise and the inexperienced. The insights from both can be invaluable.

  • Real Estate Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2013 · 988 posts · 258 votes
    13y

    @William Collins,

    This speaks to your point.

    Every Person Is My Superior

    In That I May Learn From Each Person

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, NE · Member since 2011 · 201 posts · 140 votes
    13y

    I always felt thats its best to be the smartest person in the room, just make sure that no one else knows it.. Most people like to think they are, oblige them. Fly under the radar so to speak, just my opinion. Most people are intimidated by others that they feel are smarter than them, this is not conducive to negotiations, at least in my experience.

    Sean K.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.