House Hacking in Orange County, CA

House Hacking in Orange County, CA

(n/a) · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 10 votes

Hello BP! 

Im having some trouble with House Hacking here in Orange County. I am currently looking for a duplex, and have been pre-approved for $250,000. However there is no Duplex for that amount of money anywhere in OC! Ive tried even looking for homes in LA, Long Beach, Anaheim, Riverside, and other areas but just can't seem to find a property that fits my criteria to House Hack. 

My question is what should I do? Should I wait till the market goes down and stay patient till then? My situation is this. I am currently a full time student, and I do work a commission job that pays me well, but my living situation has changed dramatically because my Dad has moved to Temecula (far from where i work and go to school) and I cant live with my mom. 

The reason I want to house hack is because i feel that is much more financially sound to do so rather than just blow money on renting an apartment every month. But am I wrong? Is it better for me to rent short term, save, and then house hack later in the long term? I need some advice, and if anyone is House Hacking here in OC please tell me how you did it! 

3Reply
178 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

You have no choice, you will be renting until you can qualify for a larger loan unless you want to find something in the desert, mountain, or maybe San Jacinto or Hemet.  House hacking is a good idea but if you can't afford it you can't afford it.  

You can

1. Wait

2. Move

3. Not do anything

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Irvine, CA · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Rob Massopust Came here for house hacking post, only to be reminded of our new wonderful ADU/JADU law. haha. it really is great.

  • Irvine, CA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Jon Khalil I've seen homes in Inglewood, Torrance, and Hawthorne in the $450k - $600k mark before but it's still slightly outside your price range. Possibly a seller finance situation or lease option sandwich in Santa Ana can get you into the house; just making the payments will be the first obstacle. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    There are no duplexes along the west coast is that is less than 2X your budget. You can try Barstow, east of Riverside dessert, San Bernadino east rural. There are some fix uppers within your price range.

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Sam Shueh he might be able to find something in Hemet/ San Jacinto or Beaumont but for the most part nothing would be commutable back to OC

  • Real Estate Consultant · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Jon Khalil

    House Hacking in the OC area can work to reduce your living expenses while building up your wealth. It may not cover the entire mortgage, but if you factor in the savings from other people paying your living expenses and the wealth building that is going on, plus tax savings, and appreciation, - then it's totally worth it. Remember, you won't retire tomorrow. You just gotta be in the game and put your money to work.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    Bringing this thread back. I hope you're all well and healthy

    Well, now with this current state of affairs, I'm thinking the market will come down. Seems there's not much to support a return to pre-Covid market, only an economic downfall. I'm certainly no expert and this is only my opinion. Please interject if you have some information to share. 

    How's the current market in OC? What areas seem slated for gentrification, or at least foreseeable growth?

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Gary F. if markets fall they still won't fall far enough to pick up multifamily in OC for the $250k OP was approved for, if they do I'll buy as much as I possibly can.  OC will still see strong demand for the lower priced stuff the things that will get hit first are the things that are $75k overpriced because someone spent $5k on granite and $5k on cabinets.  I don't see a big drop in OC for middle of the road, and entry level housing.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 49 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron K.:

    @Gary F. if markets fall they still won't fall far enough to pick up multifamily in OC for the $250k OP was approved for, if they do I'll buy as much as I possibly can.  OC will still see strong demand for the lower priced stuff the things that will get hit first are the things that are $75k overpriced because someone spent $5k on granite and $5k on cabinets.  I don't see a big drop in OC for middle of the road, and entry level housing.

    Hi, Aaron.

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I certainly don't see it going THAT low. $250 in OC for MF days are gone.  But just curious. So in other words, you do think prices will come down? And what's the "lower priced stuff", like sub $700, $800 or ? 
     

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Gary F. yeah lower priced for OC is under $750k in my opinion but I think there have been quite a few SFRs that will sell for $675k or so that are really only $600k houses with minor upgrades and those will probably be hit as well.  Anything without flashy finishes or a remodel in the last 20 years is probably going to remain pretty steady.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 161 votes
    6y

    Hi Jon, Take this with a grain of salt as I am in Minnesota and the rules could be different. 

    Have you clarified that the lender is taking income from the 2nd unit into the pre-qualification amount? I am about to close on my first house hack and ran into a very similar situation when originally getting pre-qualified. The amount I originally received was way less then any duplex would sell for so I moved to a mortgage broker that was willing to work with me more than the original big bank. The mortgage broker was able to pre-qualify me without an address using conservative numbers for rent in the areas I was looking. This provided me a much larger budget to find a property in a high-potential neighborhood that still comfortably cash flowed. 

    Let me know if you have any further questions!

  • New to Real Estate · Fullerton, CA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Jon KhalilI've spent a lot of time recently looking into house hacking in OC as well. I live in Fullerton where there seems to be a decent amount of duplexes (unlike anywhere else in OC). I have to agree with what people have said so far that $250k seems pretty impossible unfortunately. I see it's been a year since this post? Any updates on your journey?

    @Rob Massopust You mentioned look into a Condo and holding for a few years. Do you still thing that's a good course of action? I'm wrestling through that myself right now. We're currently pre-approved for $500k and are wanting to get into the real estate game (Currently living in Fullerton). So far it seems like our only options are homes in areas we don't want to live in, fixer-uppers, and condos. Do you think buying a condo and living in it ourselves for a couple years to build equity and save and then maybe move into the OOS real estate investing game is a decent option? Or do you think going OOS right of the bat and continuing to rent our apartment? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Santa Ana CA [South Coast Metro] · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 202 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Tanquary:

    @Jon KhalilI've spent a lot of time recently looking into house hacking in OC as well. I live in Fullerton where there seems to be a decent amount of duplexes (unlike anywhere else in OC). I have to agree with what people have said so far that $250k seems pretty impossible unfortunately. I see it's been a year since this post? Any updates on your journey?

    @Rob Massopust You mentioned look into a Condo and holding for a few years. Do you still thing that's a good course of action? I'm wrestling through that myself right now. We're currently pre-approved for $500k and are wanting to get into the real estate game (Currently living in Fullerton). So far it seems like our only options are homes in areas we don't want to live in, fixer-uppers, and condos. Do you think buying a condo and living in it ourselves for a couple years to build equity and save and then maybe move into the OOS real estate investing game is a decent option? Or do you think going OOS right of the bat and continuing to rent our apartment? 

    Yeah its tough question.

    You have to look at your immediate needs and objectives. We are in a suspended animation mode with real estate. No one really knows how long and what impact this is going to have. You have to buy on fundamentals and not factor in much appreciation if any save for what might trend with inflation.

    The big question is if you buy something now and its on par with what you are paying in rent then thats a push and you have all the benefits of owning your own place, both psychologically and economically, if you are buying for speculation of it going up in value I would discount that. I would make this a 7-10 year plan. I know there are areas that might suck and the schools might be an issue so you have to factor that in. So if you can make the payments on a 30 year loan and the prices go down can you hold till they recover. 

    If you buy a fixer condo and fix up and hold will you get the extra gain in equity hard to say for sure based on past models that was true. Prices have not budged that much so far but once we get past this forbearance and things start to unwind its a different story. Big question is how will the lenders fare? Well they are already going to get bailed out, 62% of the first stimulus is going to the banks [remember they write the rules. So hard to tell where that is going to go.

    You mentioned about a duplex or the ADU angle. Have you looked into that. A SFR will hold value more than a condo and it gives you more ways to make money. If you can find a SFR and do an ADU or what is called an ADU conversion or Junior ADu it might accomplish what you are looking for, the challenge is the qualifying and the building. Can you buy with a friend or relative? Because then you can take a large SFR, do an ADU conversion and you each occupy one side. It allows any SFR to convert to a duplex legally.

    Buying OOS is good if you can cash flow and use that to offset you rent. But will have all the same challenges but lower price point and rent point. You could also house hack buy buying close enough where it makes sense as an owner ie Pomona but not live there long term. Harder to pull off becasue its hard to cash flow anything in So cal right now.

    California is in whats called a cyclical housing market, it goes up and goes down dramatically. vs Ohio is in a linear market, it barely moves. Most feel that CA is going to trend lower this time but there is still pretty high demand despite the slowdown and difficulties, question is will that stay.

    Bottom line, if you do not have to do something immediately I'd wait 3-6 months and see where this ends up. The only caveat is if you wait and lending gets tougher then it will be hard to get an low down loan and if prices drop that much investors are waiting on the sideline to pick up any deal that hints of positive cash flow. 

    But study your market,[Fullerton is a good area, La Habra too, undervalued compared to rest of OC] hone in on prices, dollar per sq ft, what is trending, any distressed sales [there will still be minimal for a long time] once you know a good deal and you can get financing [keep checking with lender on programs]. I have a lender that will do Zero down, no MI and low APR for what is called a census tract loan up to $510k - these properties usually in areas that are up and coming but its designated by a street to street basis. 3-5% down up to $759k

    Good luck keep me posted interested on what you find.

  • New to Real Estate · Fullerton, CA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Rob Massopust Wow, lots of great thoughts and things to consider. Thanks for putting in the time to respond! I'll keep you updated!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Rob Massopust:
    Originally posted by @Stephen Tanquary:

    @Jon KhalilI've spent a lot of time recently looking into house hacking in OC as well. I live in Fullerton where there seems to be a decent amount of duplexes (unlike anywhere else in OC). I have to agree with what people have said so far that $250k seems pretty impossible unfortunately. I see it's been a year since this post? Any updates on your journey?

    @Rob Massopust You mentioned look into a Condo and holding for a few years. Do you still thing that's a good course of action? I'm wrestling through that myself right now. We're currently pre-approved for $500k and are wanting to get into the real estate game (Currently living in Fullerton). So far it seems like our only options are homes in areas we don't want to live in, fixer-uppers, and condos. Do you think buying a condo and living in it ourselves for a couple years to build equity and save and then maybe move into the OOS real estate investing game is a decent option? Or do you think going OOS right of the bat and continuing to rent our apartment? 

    Yeah its tough question.

    You have to look at your immediate needs and objectives. We are in a suspended animation mode with real estate. No one really knows how long and what impact this is going to have. You have to buy on fundamentals and not factor in much appreciation if any save for what might trend with inflation.

    The big question is if you buy something now and its on par with what you are paying in rent then thats a push and you have all the benefits of owning your own place, both psychologically and economically, if you are buying for speculation of it going up in value I would discount that. I would make this a 7-10 year plan. I know there are areas that might suck and the schools might be an issue so you have to factor that in. So if you can make the payments on a 30 year loan and the prices go down can you hold till they recover. 

    If you buy a fixer condo and fix up and hold will you get the extra gain in equity hard to say for sure based on past models that was true. Prices have not budged that much so far but once we get past this forbearance and things start to unwind its a different story. Big question is how will the lenders fare? Well they are already going to get bailed out, 62% of the first stimulus is going to the banks [remember they write the rules. So hard to tell where that is going to go.

    You mentioned about a duplex or the ADU angle. Have you looked into that. A SFR will hold value more than a condo and it gives you more ways to make money. If you can find a SFR and do an ADU or what is called an ADU conversion or Junior ADu it might accomplish what you are looking for, the challenge is the qualifying and the building. Can you buy with a friend or relative? Because then you can take a large SFR, do an ADU conversion and you each occupy one side. It allows any SFR to convert to a duplex legally.

    Buying OOS is good if you can cash flow and use that to offset you rent. But will have all the same challenges but lower price point and rent point. You could also house hack buy buying close enough where it makes sense as an owner ie Pomona but not live there long term. Harder to pull off becasue its hard to cash flow anything in So cal right now.

    California is in whats called a cyclical housing market, it goes up and goes down dramatically. vs Ohio is in a linear market, it barely moves. Most feel that CA is going to trend lower this time but there is still pretty high demand despite the slowdown and difficulties, question is will that stay.

    Bottom line, if you do not have to do something immediately I'd wait 3-6 months and see where this ends up. The only caveat is if you wait and lending gets tougher then it will be hard to get an low down loan and if prices drop that much investors are waiting on the sideline to pick up any deal that hints of positive cash flow. 

    But study your market,[Fullerton is a good area, La Habra too, undervalued compared to rest of OC] hone in on prices, dollar per sq ft, what is trending, any distressed sales [there will still be minimal for a long time] once you know a good deal and you can get financing [keep checking with lender on programs]. I have a lender that will do Zero down, no MI and low APR for what is called a census tract loan up to $510k - these properties usually in areas that are up and coming but its designated by a street to street basis. 3-5% down up to $759k

    Good luck keep me posted interested on what you find.

     >The big question is if you buy something now and its on par with what you are paying in rent then thats a push and you have all the benefits of owning your own place, both psychologically and economically, if you are buying for speculation of it going up in value I would discount that. 

    This mindset acts like mortgage covers all of the expenses.  The belief that the expenses is only the mortgage payment is what gets some RE newbie investors to make poor RE investments.  The reality is if the mortgage is the same as the rent, owning is costing about 35% more than renting in terms of monthly cash flow (the 50% rule subtracting PM fees (10%) and vacancies (5%)).  Owning does have the other benefits of equity paydown, potential tax advantages, and benefits of appreciation but if discounting the appreciation then that leaves only equity paydown and tax advantages.  Not including appreciation, the mortgage payment would have to be noticeably less than the rent for this to be a "push".  

    I would not discount the long term appreciation.  I do believe in the short-term there will not be significant appreciation (i.e. I do not expect appreciation far better than inflation) and can envision prices coming down.  However, in the long term, I am confident 12 years from now the RE prices will be higher than they are today.

    >A SFR will hold value more than a condo

    I have heard this and it seems to be a common thought of RE agents. In my market, it does not appear to be factual. In addition, I can find variances in the short term between house and condo values but I have not seen stats showing that houses hold their value better than condos for the long term for coastal So Cal. I am interested if you have seen statistics that show this??? I would be very interested in a reference. BTW I do recommend SFH over condos for investors but not due to appreciation differences but due to control. Condo HOAs can change rules very easy. The condo HOAs can impact your return, options, and exit strategies.

  • (n/a) · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Dan Heuschele @Rob Massopust @Stephen Tanquary

    Hi everyone!

    Wow it is unreal looking back at this post a few years ago and seeing where I was with my REI career, a lot has changed since then.

    I’ve gotten engaged

    I graduated college

    I have a salary 9-5 job that pays a decent and steady income

    I got my first apartment

    And currently I am in the hunt for a condo. I have the savings and am getting prequalified for up to $300K. I have my eyes set on a condo in Santa Ana listed at $268,000 but in a great location near South Coast Plaza, John Wayne airport, and the freeways.

    I decided to do this simply because I'm young, have the money for it, and would rather have my monthly expenses go towards an asset. I am hoping for appreciation, but also figured I could see my Fiancée and I living here for a long period of time where we could fix it up, refi, BRRRR, or move out and collect rent from tenants.

    You guys all give great insight into making this move, and I really appreciate the feedback and tips.

    What do you guys think? You think it's smart to dive in now while I'm young and I can? Or wait till the market dips a little more? I personally have been waiting for this a long time, and feel that the best way to learn is to dive right in sometimes! I completely understand the risks involved as well in terms of expensive out of pocket expenses, and HOAs- I really wanted to do SFH but just don't have the income or capital myself to do it at this point. At least not in CA. That's where I feel like this is a great first step for me.

    Let me know you guys think, and thanks again for bringing this post back!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jon Khalil:

    @Dan Heuschele @Rob Massopust @Stephen Tanquary

    Hi everyone!

    Wow it is unreal looking back at this post a few years ago and seeing where I was with my REI career, a lot has changed since then.

    I’ve gotten engaged

    I graduated college

    I have a salary 9-5 job that pays a decent and steady income

    I got my first apartment

    And currently I am in the hunt for a condo. I have the savings and am getting prequalified for up to $300K. I have my eyes set on a condo in Santa Ana listed at $268,000 but in a great location near South Coast Plaza, John Wayne airport, and the freeways.

    I decided to do this simply because I'm young, have the money for it, and would rather have my monthly expenses go towards an asset. I am hoping for appreciation, but also figured I could see my Fiancée and I living here for a long period of time where we could fix it up, refi, BRRRR, or move out and collect rent from tenants.

    You guys all give great insight into making this move, and I really appreciate the feedback and tips.

    What do you guys think? You think it's smart to dive in now while I'm young and I can? Or wait till the market dips a little more? I personally have been waiting for this a long time, and feel that the best way to learn is to dive right in sometimes! I completely understand the risks involved as well in terms of expensive out of pocket expenses, and HOAs- I really wanted to do SFH but just don't have the income or capital myself to do it at this point. At least not in CA. That's where I feel like this is a great first step for me.

    Let me know you guys think, and thanks again for bringing this post back!

     >Let me know you guys think, and thanks again for bringing this post back! 

    I am not sure a dip is coming.  I think you could wait with little risk as I expect either prices to be hardly changed or for them to fall.  I do not see the scenario where. in the near term. they rise significantly faster than appreciation.

    However, if you have a long term perspective, even if the prices dip in the short term, you will be fine.  If you did not have this long term perspective, my advice would be to wait and see how things look 3 months from now.  As long as you are not going to cry a river if in the near term the values fall 20%, then you will be fine purchasing (or waiting) if you are planning a long term hold.

    If it were me, I would wait a couple of months unless it was a great deal or special property.  If it is a common property, there is not much to lose to wait (I am convinced RE prices are not going to go up a lot this year).

    Good luck

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    With this COVID-market, its anyone's guess as to what the future holds. That said, I feel that prices will start to come down. With unemployment rising and likely to get worse as the virus affects the world's economy, it seems there's really very little to support current prices and certainly nothing to increase prices. 

    I'm also looking into purchasing something soon, a 1031 exchange, so I have timelines to follow. I plan to find something at least 10% below market. Of course, whenever we buy we always want to find a great deal. But with my belief that the market will dip, a 10% margin gives me some buffer. Like all investors, I want to make money when I buy, not when I sell. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    Hats off for taking the first step and getting qualified for a loan.  Your next move, put together a presentation on how owning a duplex is the best strategy for investing and all the benefits because when you present the facts to your parents they will need all the details to make a sound decision to invest with you. See where I'm going....

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    6y

    @Gary F. where are you looking for replacements at? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Hey @Jon Khalil, who could co-sign with you to help you qualify for something?

    This was our entry into the LA market. Our family income was modest, as we were working jobs in the non-profit sector. We’re now getting paid to live in Los Angeles because of house hacking, but we needed that outside help to get over the barrier to entry. Exciting to hear that you’re pursuing house hacking - I hope you’re able to jump into the game soon. It’s a blast!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    Hello Jon,

    My mantra is "don't wait to buy real estate; buy real estate then wait." As you can tell CA (Bay Area/LA/OC) are extremely expensive, assuming you have a strong income from a W-2 job, all you need for owner occupancy is 3.5% down (i.e - 750k home, need about 27k down + closing costs). With 3.5% down, you will pay PMI, hence many people believe you "must" down 20% for some odd reason. For perspective, I just bought a property for 770k and downed 10% (77k) even though I could down 20% (154k). PMI is additional $150/month. If I just leave my 77k in my bank saving account earning 0.5% interest, that $385/month which covers my PMI plus I still have liquid cash to buy another deal or for an emergency. I plan on fixing up the house and building an ADU in the backyard. After it's done, I will ask the bank within 1 year to reassess the value of my property and they will likely remove PMI. Since you are young, you can calm owner occupancy on properties every year and get away with <20% down payments. What I plan on doing until I have a family. Once you have a family, harder to constantly move every year.

    CA is an appreciation market and takes a few years to have good cashflow.  You can invest in turnkey properties in Memphis, TN.  Cost around 120k for 3bed/2bath in B neighborhood and come out $200/month positive cash flow after putting in about 30k.  $200/month positive cash flow is great, but not life changing.  Instead I am building up equity in CA then when I am ready to retire in 10 years, deploy that equity for cash flow.  For example, I bought a 4bed/3bath in the bay area for 825k in 2017.  Today is it worth 925k (100k in appreciation in 3 years).  I am renting for $3700/month, but PITT is $4200/month so I am negative $500/month in cash flow.  When the tenants move out, I will add a 5th bedroom using some of the living room for around 40k, be able to rent the house for $4400/month ($200 dollar positive cash flow) and now the house will be worth over 1 million dollars.  If I want, I can refinance the property and pull out 210k in equity to buy 7 cash flowing properties in Memphis, TN (7 x 200 = $1400).

    I hope this provides some useful insight.  Thank you.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steven Nguyen:

    Hello Jon,

    My mantra is "don't wait to buy real estate; buy real estate then wait." As you can tell CA (Bay Area/LA/OC) are extremely expensive, assuming you have a strong income from a W-2 job, all you need for owner occupancy is 3.5% down (i.e - 750k home, need about 27k down + closing costs). With 3.5% down, you will pay PMI, hence many people believe you "must" down 20% for some odd reason. For perspective, I just bought a property for 770k and downed 10% (77k) even though I could down 20% (154k). PMI is additional $150/month. If I just leave my 77k in my bank saving account earning 0.5% interest, that $385/month which covers my PMI plus I still have liquid cash to buy another deal or for an emergency. I plan on fixing up the house and building an ADU in the backyard. After it's done, I will ask the bank within 1 year to reassess the value of my property and they will likely remove PMI. Since you are young, you can calm owner occupancy on properties every year and get away with <20% down payments. What I plan on doing until I have a family. Once you have a family, harder to constantly move every year.

    CA is an appreciation market and takes a few years to have good cashflow.  You can invest in turnkey properties in Memphis, TN.  Cost around 120k for 3bed/2bath in B neighborhood and come out $200/month positive cash flow after putting in about 30k.  $200/month positive cash flow is great, but not life changing.  Instead I am building up equity in CA then when I am ready to retire in 10 years, deploy that equity for cash flow.  For example, I bought a 4bed/3bath in the bay area for 825k in 2017.  Today is it worth 925k (100k in appreciation in 3 years).  I am renting for $3700/month, but PITT is $4200/month so I am negative $500/month in cash flow.  When the tenants move out, I will add a 5th bedroom using some of the living room for around 40k, be able to rent the house for $4400/month ($200 dollar positive cash flow) and now the house will be worth over 1 million dollars.  If I want, I can refinance the property and pull out 210k in equity to buy 7 cash flowing properties in Memphis, TN (7 x 200 = $1400).

    I hope this provides some useful insight.  Thank you.

    >I am renting for $3700/month, but PITT is $4200/month so I am negative $500/month in cash flow.

    This is significantly more negative than $500/month because PITI is not the full rental expenses. Vacancy, maintenance/cap ex, miscellaneous likely double that negative for a total of $1k/month negative. Fortunately, on appreciation alone you are experiencing almost $3k/month positive. Add in equity pay down and the investment is producing a nice return.

    My sole point in pointing out the discrepancy is so that some newby does not assume that rent greater than PITI implies positive cash flow. Cap ex adds up fast. Vacancy and maintenance is real. We have owned zero properties for more than 5 years that have not experienced a significant miscellaneous expense that does not easily fit into another category. Four times it has been water expense associated with leaks. Water from a leak can easily be a couple $k before you know there is a leak. We cannot expect tenant to pay for the water due to a leak that cannot be noticed without seeing the water bill.

    Good luck

  • Realtor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jon Khalil

    You could possibly get something like a condo and rent out a room (That’s another form of house hacking).

    If you want to try creative financing you can find a fixer and go with a multi family complex (duplex).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles Long Beach Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Jon Khalil. Use your parents credit to help you get a loan also you can use Hud the first time homebuyer loan buy a four plex You have a place to live you can use the tenants income to help you get a loan. You have three streams of income help you pay that mortgage. And a tax shelter will boost your income Use student loans to pay down the principal of your mortgage it’ll be a lower interest-rate which will save you money which is money earned

    

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Jon Khalil

    Unlikely to find an official duplex for a reasonable price in So Cal that's also vacant. Look for the SFH that'll function as a multi w basic modifications. You can make it work here, just need to be creative and willing to forego the cultural standards of instant gratification.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.