Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 132 votes
9y
Jacksonville has no area termed Midtown. The zips 32206, 32208, and 32209 would be considered rough and urban. The zip 32211 is across the river and a bit of both with better areas near the Jacksonville University and things getting progressively rougher, with regard to crime, as you move east towards Arlington. In 32206, as mentioned, there is a small area in and around Shands Hospital and due North of downtown that is considered Springfield where some gentrification has occurred. Jacksonville, by land mass, is the largest city in the US. It is comprised of over 35 zip codes. Some like to reference the city by the North bank and the South bank. This term refers to the St. Johns River splitting the city. To me, that's a large misnomer. I prefer referring to zip codes because each seems to be its own unique area with unique characteristics. I just sent you a zip map on your buyer@webuy............. email.
Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 380 votes
9y
@Hadar Orkibi, I recommend using Trulia.com as a sort of "heat map" for crime. I also recommend looking at the school ratings for any given zip code and properties you're considering because crime rates and school ratings are often closely correlated.
Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 7 votes
9y
If you're going to invest in 32206, I would stay in Springfield. I own in some of the 32206 areas outside of Springfield and those areas do have a fair amoint of crime. Those properties are cheaper and they do cashflow, but they will present a few challenges from the management end? What is your goal profit %?
Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 132 votes
9y
Jacksonville has no area termed Midtown. The zips 32206, 32208, and 32209 would be considered rough and urban. The zip 32211 is across the river and a bit of both with better areas near the Jacksonville University and things getting progressively rougher, with regard to crime, as you move east towards Arlington. In 32206, as mentioned, there is a small area in and around Shands Hospital and due North of downtown that is considered Springfield where some gentrification has occurred. Jacksonville, by land mass, is the largest city in the US. It is comprised of over 35 zip codes. Some like to reference the city by the North bank and the South bank. This term refers to the St. Johns River splitting the city. To me, that's a large misnomer. I prefer referring to zip codes because each seems to be its own unique area with unique characteristics. I just sent you a zip map on your buyer@webuy............. email.
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 108 votes
9y
@Hadar Orkibi I currently own a property in the 32211 zip code in the Arlington area that we are fixing up. I have been told by a contractor who used to live in this area that this is where the "crazies" live, and by many other contractors we've used have tols us to lock our car and house doors every chance we get. We have definitely had break-ins in the neighborhood since we started, but none in our house (mostly because I don't think they want anything that's inside). But one of my neighbors has seen someone snooping around our house late at night. Before we acquired the property, it sat vacant for 2 years and there were squatters. From what I've experienced, I'd be less worried about violent crime in the area, but I'd be concerned about theft and make sure you have proper locks and potentially security systems. Our neighbor caught a burglar because they had cameras. As a young female, I'm reluctant to go to the property alone, if that says anything.
Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
the urban core, which was just created by name a few years ago is 32204, 32202 and a little bit of 32206. I would avoid these areas if possible. there are some bright spots within each zipcode but far and few inbetween.
Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Hi Hadar,
You can make generalizations about the zip codes, but the reality is many of these areas change block by block. Part of 32206 is historic Springfield and that is up and coming and filling with young professionals as fast as they can movie in. There are areas that are just outside the historic area that are changing and used to be far worse. I have a triplex in a transitional area and it has been great.
32211 Arlington is solid and growing. There have been a ton of flips and it is still going.
32206 is rougher than most of Jacksonville. There are some good blocks and bad blocks but even the good blocks are in close vicinity to the bad blocks. As long as you know what you're getting into and your property manager is solid you'll be fine.
32211 is a little bit better than '06 but it has been known to have crime and some spots there are worse than others. There are a lot of larger multifamily deals that keep coming up in 32211 and I would entertain those deals despite the crime of the general area as it seems to affect the SFRs more than the multifamily properties. Keep in mind you will have a lot of tenants on housing assistance programs and you will want to make sure you screen them.