Atlanta - Good Re-Finance Bank or Lender

Atlanta - Good Re-Finance Bank or Lender

Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes

Does anyone know of a good, cash-out re-finance lender, whether they're a local community bank in Atlanta or other type of soft money lender?  Here's what I'm looking for:

  • $50K minimum loan amount
  • 30-day seasoning requirement or less
  • 70% to 75% LTV (based on end value of the project, not purchase and rehab costs committed)

I've talked to quite a few local, community banks here in ATL. Many lend based on loan-to-cost instead of LTV or ARV and at least a year or two of seasoning is required. There's no way an investor can scale-up their portfolio if they're required to hold on to a property for at least a year (or two years with certain local banks) before getting favorable LTV terms.

So far, my only option is Visio Financial, a soft money lender.  They check all the boxes above, but their terms are quite aggressive and recently, as of March 1st, their interest rates have skyrocketed to nearly 9% for a 30-year product (ouch!) and I have excellent credit.  The rents in Atlanta don't support such an interest rate.

I'm trying to implement the BRRRR technique (buy, rehab, rent, refinance, and repeat). Velocity of money and forced appreciation is the only way to scale. I can't tie up a significant portion of capital for each buy-and-hold project. Has any buy-and-hold investors in Atlanta have any luck in this regard?

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
9y

@Rashad Nelson.. I hope to work a flip deal with Straightline, but I need to find a  great $80,000 deal.  Those points and down payment makes me want to SCREAM, under that threshold amount. $50,000-$75,000 is ideal in my market!  Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!!! Keep it Moving!!!

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Rashad Nelson..Great question.  I'm interested in the answer.  Bump...GL

  • Real Estate Junkie · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2008 · 274 posts · 165 votes
    9y

    There are a number of lenders who will do the type of loan you seek. It sounds like you bought with cash and now need to rehab? You won't be able to go with a 30 year until the rehab is done BUT most of the lenders have a rehab program and a 30 year so that you can roll easily once the rehab is complete. The one problem you may have is the loan amount. Most have a minimum of $75k.

    What is the actual ARV?

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    Haven't purchased yet, but I have some very strong leads, one I'm viewing Wednesday morning with my contractor.  I plan to purchase and renovate using my own capital.  

    Example:

    Purchase:  $10K (cash)

    Renovate:  $35K (cash)

    ARV: $70K to $75K (based on BPO or subject-to appraisal)

    The actual ARV of this particular lead is $73K. When you say most lenders, who are you referring to? I have no such luck after speaking with numerous community and local bank associates here in Atlanta. I have two soft-money lenders that will do $50K minimum, but their interest and fees are quite aggressive.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Is this a personal (ie. not LLC) loan and do you still have credit?

    Quicken Loans and other mainstream lenders will do a cash-out refinance.

    Lending Tree and Sofi also do them, among many others.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    I plan to borrow under my LLC, but personally guarantee the loan. Quicken Loans and other mainstream lenders require the property to under your personal name.

  • Accountant · Dallas, GA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I'm interested in this as well. I have the contract for a couple duplexes well below comps. They make sense as a buy/hold once I get rents up; but, if the strategy is successful I really want to rinse and repeat quickly.

    Let me know what you find out.  I've been trying to get a hold of a local mortgage company for a couple days that my realtor suggested.  If it works out I'll get you their contact info.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    Cool thanks Ryan.  I've been in touch also with Lima One Capital.  I may just have to do a short-term bridge re-fi they offer, hold for a year to satisfy the seasoning requirement of most local banks, and then re-finance again.  I'll explore this strategy further.  

  • Accountant · Dallas, GA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I had never heard of a bridge loan, it sounds interesting if the interest is workable. I touched base quickly with the lender and I should know more tomorrow. I'm really just thinking about doing private money for the first few months then flipping on the financing if they'll go for that.

    We will see.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Great question. Newbie here who's looking to buy within 90 days. Really interested in adding banks to a spreadsheet for future reference. Like the rest of y'all....I want to know that i can work around seasoning hurdles so i can use HMLs. Can't secure the wholesale deals without it....since i don't have 30-50k on the sidelines to throw at deals.

  • Tucker, GA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Try straightline Funding
  • Tucker, GA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    I would like to talk to you about your technique I never use that before and I have all my money tied up in my properties, which I would like to use in a new construction projects coming up soon.
  • Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    @Victor Hughes - An associate from Straightline reached out to me.  Unfortunately their minimum loan balance is $75K.  My all-in investment (purchase, renovation, and initial closing costs) are around the $50K marker.

    @John Anderson - I like keeping the LLCs for tax purposes mainly and having separate business accounts.  I also have a pretty good umbrella policy.  If local banks have a commercial loan option, typical 20 year amortization, 5.5% to 6% interest rate, then that should suffice.  I just have to satisfy the seasoning requirements for most local banks, usually a year of ownership.  

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Rashad Nelson.. I hope to work a flip deal with Straightline, but I need to find a  great $80,000 deal.  Those points and down payment makes me want to SCREAM, under that threshold amount. $50,000-$75,000 is ideal in my market!  Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!!! Keep it Moving!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    @Rolanda Eldridge - Yes indeed. For most investors, hard money is the only way to go. HMLs are good for flips here in Atlanta, but for buy-and-holds in the Atlanta market, there's not enough spread for a straight up purchase and rehab acquisition using a HML, followed by a re-finance. Finance fees are too high and the ARVs and rents are too low in this market to make it work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    @Victor Hughes - If you have properties that are wholly owned and are looking to pull equity for a project, then a portfolio lender is definitely the way to go.  I hope this helps.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    9y

    Anybody ever had trouble with getting a cash-out refi due to number of financed properties??  I was investigating a while ago and a lender I've used before told me that they had a limit of 6 financed properties, and I'm at 6 now, headed to 7 (all conventional mortgages).  

    Last May, I had to scramble for cash to close a deal -- borrowed against myself but at a variable rate -- and would really like to convert to a long-term conventional fixed-rate with enough cash to pay off the variable rate balances.  My credit is great, and I'm almost at the 1-year-seasoning mark. Lender suggestions?

  • Real Estate Agent · Canton, GA · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    I would highly recommend talking to my personal loan officer, Clyde Penton with US Mortgage (PM if you'd like his direct cell, as I can't post a # here!) He has been in that side of the industry for some time, and if he can't issue the loan he can get Tu to a reputable source that can. Congrats on going into the 7th property - that's awesome!
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 608 posts · 70 votes
    9y
    Anna Watkins . I have a direct lender who I can refer you to who is great at refi at great rates. Pm me and I can setup a time to introduce you both.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.