i am checking out this property, which seems interesting for the price/zone. In the seller disclosure document, among many other issues, I see mice/rodent infestation which apparently caused a few "holes" in the outside wall.
I was wondering if anybody ever dealt with something like this and if it's just a matter of fixing the entry points and call a good exterminator.
Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 11 votes
4y
I took a more extreme approach for my rehab for a foreclosure as so much needed to be redone anyways. While adding an ADU in my basement I removed the plastered walls to insulate behind them and covered up some holes with cement that were found in the shiplap attached to the house. On exterior my stucco was falling apart so I removed that and added 12"x25' metal flashing around the entire base of the home. The flashing overlaps the shiplap and concrete foundation by a scooch. Further more my finished porch was another area of entry underneath the siding. There was a 3/4" gap where the plywood did not touch the foundation of the poured concrete foundation of the porch. The past installer simply used the siding to overlap the gap. There were still gaps where a tiny mouse could slip between the bottom siding panel. I removed the first siding panel at the bottom and sealed with same metal flashing. Reinstalled the siding and am now rodent free. Good luck to them if they can chew though metal, they deserve whatever they find behind it! If its cash flowing just go in and fix that issue and kick your feet up.