Wholesale flipping a fixer upper

Wholesale flipping a fixer upper

Lodi, CA · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 19 votes

Hello,

I have a question about something I've never done before, a wholesale flip. I've bought fixer's before, remodeled then sold or kept as rentals but I'm not at all familiar with this "wholesale flipping" concept. I currently own three residential properties with a total of six units, all rented. I used to be a mortgage broker and was much more aggressive when I was younger. Now I am old and cautious, haha. I just learned - from my pest control guy, about a home with motivated sellers!  The woman living there is the original owner and advanced in years. Her kids want to sell. The public records show the house was listed for Zillow's full estimated value twice in the past year. It never sold. My guy said it's being over run with rats which leads me to believe that it probably needs both structural and cosmetic work, inside and out - although from pictures, the roof looks good. It's in an excellent neighborhood. I would love to buy, fix and flip or even better, hold this property as an investment but I've got too much on my plate already.  

- How do I find someone to offload this house to that I can trust? Someone who won't find out where it's located and just go over my head? 

- How do I lower the expectations of the owners children (they are adults) after the previous agent listed it at Zillow's full estimated price - despite the fact that nothing has been done to the house since their father/the widows husband died some years back. This is clearly a fixer, as should be obvious by the massive rat problem , two recently failed escrows and all the deferred maintenance.

Thank you!!  I look forward to hearing from anyone with a word of advice!

Julia Hagen

1Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian HalsteadPro Member
Real Estate Agent · California Central Valley · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 10 votes
3y

@Julia Hagen,

Have you thought of door knocking her and having a conversation about the house and her motivation for selling it? Sometimes it just takes personal contact to find out her motivation and see if you can come up with a solution. The listing agents are probably taking the listing just to generate buyer leads and have convinced her or the kids that she can get the higher price.


I think the next meetup in the area is on April 22 in Stockton if you want to find an investor who will not mess you over.  I forget where it is though.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    1. Network....find out who some of your biggest cashbuyers are in your area by going to meetups.......they also have to respect the game.

    2. emphasize the infestation and how much damage it has caused and let them know that its costly to fix......just make it seems worse than it really is

  • Lender · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    In addition, you can reach out to a local hard money lender (not a national lender) and they will point you in the direction of fix and flippers who would make an offer.

  • Brian HalsteadPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · California Central Valley · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Julia Hagen,

    Have you thought of door knocking her and having a conversation about the house and her motivation for selling it? Sometimes it just takes personal contact to find out her motivation and see if you can come up with a solution. The listing agents are probably taking the listing just to generate buyer leads and have convinced her or the kids that she can get the higher price.


    I think the next meetup in the area is on April 22 in Stockton if you want to find an investor who will not mess you over.  I forget where it is though.

  • Aaron SchraderBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · SD · Member since 2020 · 137 posts · 65 votes
    3y

    Because it has been listed before, I'd ask

    1) why did you have it listed?  What are your plans if/when it sells?

    2) why do you think it didn't sell?  

    3) When appropriate- I'd ask for permission to be open and honest ("Can I speak honestly with you about what I think the challenges of the property are?") Are you interested in tackling these problems?  

    4) Seek to help them solve their problem

    5) ask them what they need $ to get out of the house, and evaluate if you think that's possible

    I'm learning to ask a tremendous amount of questions and am finding that I can keep the conversations going far longer than me offering my "insight", I'd encourage you to door knock these people and have a question based conversation so you can learn as much as you can about the property and make your decision on your course of action after that!  Good luck!

  • Stockton, CA · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Halstead:

    @Julia Hagen,

    Have you thought of door knocking her and having a conversation about the house and her motivation for selling it? Sometimes it just takes personal contact to find out her motivation and see if you can come up with a solution. The listing agents are probably taking the listing just to generate buyer leads and have convinced her or the kids that she can get the higher price.


    I think the next meetup in the area is on April 22 in Stockton if you want to find an investor who will not mess you over.  I forget where it is though.

    @Brian Halstead ,

    Which meetup is on April 22nd in the Stockton area... Never been to a meetup myself and would love to go. Im in the Stockton area and would love to immerse myself around like minided people and pick theyre brains. Any info would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

  • Brian HalsteadPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · California Central Valley · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from :
    Quote from :

    ,

    Have you thought of door knocking her and having a conversation about the house and her motivation for selling it? Sometimes it just takes personal contact to find out her motivation and see if you can come up with a solution. The listing agents are probably taking the listing just to generate buyer leads and have convinced her or the kids that she can get the higher price.


    I think the next meetup in the area is on April 22 in Stockton if you want to find an investor who will not mess you over.  I forget where it is though.

    @Brian Halstead ,

    Which meetup is on April 22nd in the Stockton area... Never been to a meetup myself and would love to go. Im in the Stockton area and would love to immerse myself around like minided people and pick theyre brains. Any info would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

    @Sidney M., I was told there is a meetup at La Boulangerie 2324 Grand Canal Blvd # 1 · Stockton, CA. I heard the last meeting was at 10:00AM, so I assume this one will be at the same time. I have an event for my real estate team at that same time, so I will not make it.  Let me know how it goes. 



  • Stockton, CA · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Halstead:
    Quote from :
    Quote from :

    ,

    Have you thought of door knocking her and having a conversation about the house and her motivation for selling it? Sometimes it just takes personal contact to find out her motivation and see if you can come up with a solution. The listing agents are probably taking the listing just to generate buyer leads and have convinced her or the kids that she can get the higher price.


    I think the next meetup in the area is on April 22 in Stockton if you want to find an investor who will not mess you over.  I forget where it is though.

    @Brian Halstead ,

    Which meetup is on April 22nd in the Stockton area... Never been to a meetup myself and would love to go. Im in the Stockton area and would love to immerse myself around like minided people and pick theyre brains. Any info would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

    @Sidney M., I was told there is a meetup at La Boulangerie 2324 Grand Canal Blvd # 1 · Stockton, CA. I heard the last meeting was at 10:00AM, so I assume this one will be at the same time. I have an event for my real estate team at that same time, so I will not make it.  Let me know how it goes. 




    @Brian Halstead Thanks for the heads up brotha. That's actually being held by the Stockton REI Network . I have yet to go as I just got hit by the bug. I will certainly be attending, I have tons of questions regarding my particular situation. But not to hijack this thread ill save those questions for some forum posts and the meetup. Your the 1st post I got Mr. Halstead hopefully Ill be working with you in the future. Great day sir.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2023 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Grant Smith:

    In addition, you can reach out to a local hard money lender (not a national lender) and they will point you in the direction of fix and flippers who would make an offer.


     Hi Grant, would a Google search turn up viable local hard money lenders usually?

  • Lender · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rickina Velte:
    Quote from @Grant Smith:

    In addition, you can reach out to a local hard money lender (not a national lender) and they will point you in the direction of fix and flippers who would make an offer.


     Hi Grant, would a Google search turn up viable local hard money lenders usually?


     That may work. Local hard money lenders are often not fantastic marketers so you may have more success by going to your local real estate investors association or local investor meetups.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2023 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Grant Smith:
    Quote from @Rickina Velte:
    Quote from @Grant Smith:

    In addition, you can reach out to a local hard money lender (not a national lender) and they will point you in the direction of fix and flippers who would make an offer.


     Hi Grant, would a Google search turn up viable local hard money lenders usually?


     That may work. Local hard money lenders are often not fantastic marketers so you may have more success by going to your local real estate investors association or local investor meetups.


     Cool thank you

  • Jason JamesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 64 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sidney M.:
    Quote from @Brian Halstead:
    Quote from :
    Quote from :

    ,

    Have you thought of door knocking her and having a conversation about the house and her motivation for selling it? Sometimes it just takes personal contact to find out her motivation and see if you can come up with a solution. The listing agents are probably taking the listing just to generate buyer leads and have convinced her or the kids that she can get the higher price.


    I think the next meetup in the area is on April 22 in Stockton if you want to find an investor who will not mess you over.  I forget where it is though.

    @Brian Halstead ,

    Which meetup is on April 22nd in the Stockton area... Never been to a meetup myself and would love to go. Im in the Stockton area and would love to immerse myself around like minided people and pick theyre brains. Any info would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

    @Sidney M., I was told there is a meetup at La Boulangerie 2324 Grand Canal Blvd # 1 · Stockton, CA. I heard the last meeting was at 10:00AM, so I assume this one will be at the same time. I have an event for my real estate team at that same time, so I will not make it.  Let me know how it goes. 




    @Brian Halstead Thanks for the heads up brotha. That's actually being held by the Stockton REI Network . I have yet to go as I just got hit by the bug. I will certainly be attending, I have tons of questions regarding my particular situation. But not to hijack this thread ill save those questions for some forum posts and the meetup. Your the 1st post I got Mr. Halstead hopefully Ill be working with you in the future. Great day sir.

    @Sidney M. the Stockton REI meetup is a good one. When I was in California I attended it everyone month. They have a website and you can find them at Meetup.com

  • Lodi, CA · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Thank you so much! Do you know where I can find out about the meet ups in Stockton? Like the calendar of events?

  • Lodi, CA · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Halstead:

    @Julia Hagen,

    Hey Brian, sorry for my massive delay in communication!!!  My husband and I are finally signed up for a remote real estate investment group meeting tomorrow night. Hopefully it will be the 1st of many. Thank you for your suggestions!!

  • Brian HalsteadPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · California Central Valley · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    That's cool. I hope it all works out.

  • Lodi, CA · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    @Brian Halstead well, it almost did. I didn’t know I’d caught the stomach flu until it hit me half way through the meeting! Then I ended up in bed with the bowl and a roll of paper towels! Oh well, I will try again, haha

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.