Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Peter Clark
Votes |
Surprise under Medallion / Installing light fixture

Peter Clark
Posted Apr 19 2023, 12:20

I am fliping a house. We removed a medallion for the intalation of Ikea lamp with a rectangular base and tree pendants. But used to be a recess light the hole  almost 7 inches oval and is bigger than the lamp bracket. I thought install a rectangular pvc lowes medallion but am not sure if this. Ideas?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Richards
  • Lender
  • Greenwood Village, CO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Greenwood Village, CO
Replied Apr 19 2023, 13:31

It depends on the size, style, and color of your light base.  If you can match it, a rectangular pendant may look fine.  Otherwise, drywall patch/repair is probably your best option. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Apr 19 2023, 17:10

Lol. Handyman special right there. You can use a PVC medallion. It will technically work, but IMO medallions usually look cheesy because you know they were installed for the sole purpose of covering up a mistake. It it were me I would just do a quick drywall patch. This should've been patched the last time it was installed but they were probably just too lazy.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Apr 20 2023, 06:29

Every house there is always something at the end. What I do is I ask everybody on the team electrician, plumber, drywaller what they think somebody will have an idea. You could go to Amazon and just scroll thru light fixtures until something grabs you attention.