Hi! I am currently looking at an investment property in Minnesota and am seeking advice on the best option with a list of items I should be aware of.
CONTEXT - The property has a 1948 Residential lake house (1bed/bath cabin) that was grandfathered into a shore land management zone, within city limits. The property consists of 2 parcels, with one parcel high and outside the shoreland management zone. At this time I am seeing 3 suitable options that I may be able to move forward with to use as a short term vacation rental or long term rental.
Option 1: total Rehab of the interior/exterior while using the old foundation (if inspection finds strong/usable)
Option 2: total demo of the structure and build a larger house on the second parcel outside shoreland management zone
options 3 (combination): rehab/use as ADU and build larger house on second parcel
Real Estate Agent · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2018 · 201 posts · 104 votes
2y
Hey @Dylan Kruzel sounds like a cool opportunity! I won't try to say that I know the rules around shoreland management zoning. If you haven't closed on the property yet, make sure you talk to both the county and city about possible uses and permit time. These can be really cool projects but can also get very expensive. Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze! Good luck!