Rehab to SFH&Flip vs 3plex&Hold

Rehab to SFH&Flip vs 3plex&Hold

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Two weeks ago I closed on a distressed large SFH in a small town 1hr from me. My plan was to rehab and resell as a SFH. Now I've learned there is good potential for converting it to a triplex. It's a 2300sf two story on 0.3acre corner lot, with medical offices/retirement home across the street.

Should I rehab to SFH & sell or to a triplex & hold? It could cashflow ~$600/mo according to BP BRRR calculator. What factors should I evaluate to help me decide?

Property numbers: PP: $84k, Rehab(SFH): $120k, ARV(SFH): $300k; Rehab(Tri): $160k?, ARV(Tri): ?, Expected rents: $3×1000=$3k/mo.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Travis Meservy:

My goal is to own assests and wait for inflation/ appreciation. I like the value-add possibility & using leverage in real estate (RE).

I don't plan to move or start a business soon, so RE is my main capital need. Unfortunately, I didn't own any RE during the post-Covid inflation. With my median+ W-2 and a family I don't accumulate cash quickly, so paper loss is not helpful. I'm interested in learning all aspects of RE, including self managing property, and maybe get into STR.

This being my first deal, I'm not confident in finding more flips, so I want to defer taxes to preserve my profits. 

All my goals point to Triplex&Hold, but there are few rent-cost & multi-fam ARV comps in the area, so it seems less predictable. Alternatively, sticking to the plan feels safe, and post-flip liquidity sounds nice.


 This is great value add, in a great area. I think you answered your own question. Plus you're going to learn alot moving forward, that alone is worth delaying the cash for your long term goals.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Meservy:

    Two weeks ago I closed on a distressed large SFH in a small town 1hr from me. My plan was to rehab and resell as a SFH. Now I've learned there is good potential for converting it to a triplex. It's a 2300sf two story on 0.3acre corner lot, with medical offices/retirement home across the street.

    Should I rehab to SFH & sell or to a triplex & hold? It could cashflow ~$600/mo according to BP BRRR calculator. What factors should I evaluate to help me decide?

    Property numbers: PP: $84k, Rehab(SFH): $120k, ARV(SFH): $300k; Rehab(Tri): $160k?, ARV(Tri): ?, Expected rents: $3×1000=$3k/mo.


     IMO its about your goals and situation, those are pretty good numbers either way. You'll pay cap gains on the flip, holding and management on rental. I'm thinking Boise are will appreciate too.  

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    My goal is to own assests and wait for inflation/ appreciation. I like the value-add possibility & using leverage in real estate (RE).

    I don't plan to move or start a business soon, so RE is my main capital need. Unfortunately, I didn't own any RE during the post-Covid inflation. With my median+ W-2 and a family I don't accumulate cash quickly, so paper loss is not helpful. I'm interested in learning all aspects of RE, including self managing property, and maybe get into STR.

    This being my first deal, I'm not confident in finding more flips, so I want to defer taxes to preserve my profits. 

    All my goals point to Triplex&Hold, but there are few rent-cost & multi-fam ARV comps in the area, so it seems less predictable. Alternatively, sticking to the plan feels safe, and post-flip liquidity sounds nice.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Meservy:

    My goal is to own assests and wait for inflation/ appreciation. I like the value-add possibility & using leverage in real estate (RE).

    I don't plan to move or start a business soon, so RE is my main capital need. Unfortunately, I didn't own any RE during the post-Covid inflation. With my median+ W-2 and a family I don't accumulate cash quickly, so paper loss is not helpful. I'm interested in learning all aspects of RE, including self managing property, and maybe get into STR.

    This being my first deal, I'm not confident in finding more flips, so I want to defer taxes to preserve my profits. 

    All my goals point to Triplex&Hold, but there are few rent-cost & multi-fam ARV comps in the area, so it seems less predictable. Alternatively, sticking to the plan feels safe, and post-flip liquidity sounds nice.


     This is great value add, in a great area. I think you answered your own question. Plus you're going to learn alot moving forward, that alone is worth delaying the cash for your long term goals.

  • Real Estate Investor · TN · Member since 2010 · 294 posts · 160 votes
    2y

    Travis,

    Congratulations on your investment. If you have a need for the cash now then you could flip it to pay the expense. For example, if you are in need of a new vehicle than flip it and pay cash for your new vehicle. You could also flip it if you have other debt like credit cards and such that you could pay down or pay off. If you are looking to create additional cash flow to supplement your W2 income then rent the property. 

    Do some research on what places are renting for in that market to determine expected rental income. Ensure you account for all expenses to include vacancy rate, repairs, utilities, and property management. Managing it yourself is a way to learn the business, but with the property being an hour away you would have to determine if you have the time given your other responsibilities. Good luck. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.