Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 44 votes
Hi All-
I am planning a rehab, and I am trying to replicate the attached kitchen. There are a number of issues that I hope to get some feedback on. As can be seen the stove/gas line and cabinetry is on the right hand side. Behind te cabinets and stove is the living room, my plan is to bring the stove and cabinetry to the left side which is the exterior wall with two large windows, so I can tear down that wall with the living room to create an open plan. It would mean I would have to brick both, or at least one window to create enough space on the wall for cabinets. It's not ideal to block the windows, meaing no natural light but I can't hink of anything else.
Additionally, that exterior door would have to be bricked to get the exact layout, and I am not sure if I need a backdoor by code, or that it's a good idea to brick a backdoor or more aptly a side door. While there is an exit door in the basement, and egress windows in the bedrooms and living room in the upper floor, I will lose this egress/side door.
Real Estate Investor · TN · Member since 2010 · 294 posts · 160 votes
2y
Jacob,
Without walking through the property it is difficult to get a good understanding of the house layout. What I will say is that I would not want to remove the door or the window if at all possible. The layout may not be ideal, but the cost and time involved to make those changes may not be worth it. Are you planning to flip this house or rent it. I think I would discuss the after repair value with some qualified advisors to determine what makes sense if you are flipping it. If you plan to rent I would determine if the new layout would justify higher rent. Sorry I'm not familiar with the code in your area.
If that is the only second door to the home, I would not brick it over. You want a secondary door for both access and also for emergency. Think of the use of the home. Most backdoors allow easy access to the backyard which for entertaining is also important, but also if there is a fire.
It is hard to tell from the photos, but it appears you have a set of windows on the back wall where the door is and another set on the left. You could block those, however, in your first photo of the kitchen you are trying to replicate with the oven on the left, where the taller window is with the grass cloth covering, you can keep your door (though you may need to move it over) and then move the sink to the right under the window. The wall in the photo also has windows along two outside walls, so you can keep your window and just do lower cabinets like they did.