Can Fix & Flip Work Remotely From Abroad?

Can Fix & Flip Work Remotely From Abroad?

New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to real estate and to this forum. I live in Switzerland and recently started researching U.S. real estate - specifically fix and flip - as a way to build capital and eventually transition into buy and hold for passive income.

I’ve searched the forum for similar situations but haven’t found anything that quite fits my setup, so here I am with my first post.

Since I’m not based in the U.S. and don’t have credit there, I’d be working with my own equity in a more affordable market - possibly Memphis, TN - but for now, my main question isn’t about location.

What I’d really like to know is:

  • Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground?
  • Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term?

I understand that flipping is a real job, not a passive hustle. I’m prepared to invest time and travel, especially in the beginning - but I also have a full-time job and can’t fly out for every project.

I’m also unsure whether foreign investors are welcome in the U.S. It’s important to me not to drive up property prices and to ensure that young families can still afford homes. We’re already facing this issue in Switzerland, and I’d like to avoid contributing to the same problem in the U.S.

Any thoughts, experiences, or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. I’m just at the beginning of this journey and eager to find out whether this path is realistic, or just a daydream.

Thanks so much!

2Reply
142 views

Most Popular Reply

Zach LemasterBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

@Chris Seveney thank you for the mention!

@Account Closed Flipping homes (locally or remotely) can be a good way to build additional capital to buy rentals, if that is what your ultimate goal is.  That is exactly how I started when I ran out of down payments to use to finance rental properties.  However, as many others have mentioned, flipping homes requires an entire team that can take time to develop.  Flipping homes most certainly is more of an active way to invest (as you acknowledged), but there is also a fair amount of risk associated with that strategy, and it also requires capital to get started.  You can use lenders (hard money or banks) to help finance the flip, but those loans usually come with additional costs, higher rates, and shorter terms.  You can get yourself in a bind that could set you back years if the flip doesn't go as planned, takes longe than expected or you have contractors that don't manage the project appropriately.  That is the biggest risk I see with starting a new venture into flipping homes.

If you're ultimate goal is to own rentals, I would recommend trying to find ways to start with that strategy to better understand the market you are considering investing in along with building a foundation of rentals that doesn't solely rely on your flipping endeavors to fund the rentals.  There are also ways to buy new construction at steep discounts allowing for immediate equity that help kickstart your portfolio.  That is what we focus on at RTR.

Anything can be done with the right team in the right market.  My biggest advice is to really spend some time to have complete clarity on exactly what you are trying to accomplish and map out a plan that includes all the pros/cons and risks of each strategy.

For truly passive income, investing in diversified, secured notes is a great way to enter into the REI space with lower capital amounts as well. @Chris Seveney is the best in the business when it comes to this strategy and has the proven track record to stand behind.  We have many investors that own rentals and also invest in notes that are more passive.

Hope this helps!

-To your success!

Zach

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 46 posts · 85 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m brand new to real estate and to this forum. I live in Switzerland and recently started researching U.S. real estate - specifically fix and flip - as a way to build capital and eventually transition into buy and hold for passive income.

    I’ve searched the forum for similar situations but haven’t found anything that quite fits my setup, so here I am with my first post.

    Since I’m not based in the U.S. and don’t have credit there, I’d be working with my own equity in a more affordable market - possibly Memphis, TN - but for now, my main question isn’t about location.

    What I’d really like to know is:

    • Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground?
    • Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term?

    I understand that flipping is a real job, not a passive hustle. I’m prepared to invest time and travel, especially in the beginning - but I also have a full-time job and can’t fly out for every project.

    I’m also unsure whether foreign investors are welcome in the U.S. It’s important to me not to drive up property prices and to ensure that young families can still afford homes. We’re already facing this issue in Switzerland, and I’d like to avoid contributing to the same problem in the U.S.

    Any thoughts, experiences, or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. I’m just at the beginning of this journey and eager to find out whether this path is realistic, or just a daydream.

    Thanks so much!


    Wow, wow, wow! We need more investors like you out here! I’m a realtor based in Memphis, and let me tell you. You can absolutely do this!

    The most important thing, especially in a market like Memphis, is having strong comps. Memphis is very much a street-by-street market, not one where you can just go by zip codes.

    You’ll probably want to be pretty hands-on with your first few deals, but over time, you’ll start to develop an instinct for it. Eventually, you’ll just plug the numbers into your calculator and instantly know whether a deal makes sense.

    I know you’re just getting started, and there are so many great cities to invest in across the country, but no matter where you decide to invest, keep that mindset. You can give people an affordable place they can call home.

    If you ever want to talk more about the Memphis market, I’m here. I'll shoot you over my guide and you just reach out if you have questions.

    • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kenneth Williams:
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m brand new to real estate and to this forum. I live in Switzerland and recently started researching U.S. real estate - specifically fix and flip - as a way to build capital and eventually transition into buy and hold for passive income.

      I’ve searched the forum for similar situations but haven’t found anything that quite fits my setup, so here I am with my first post.

      Since I’m not based in the U.S. and don’t have credit there, I’d be working with my own equity in a more affordable market - possibly Memphis, TN - but for now, my main question isn’t about location.

      What I’d really like to know is:

      • Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground?
      • Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term?

      I understand that flipping is a real job, not a passive hustle. I’m prepared to invest time and travel, especially in the beginning - but I also have a full-time job and can’t fly out for every project.

      I’m also unsure whether foreign investors are welcome in the U.S. It’s important to me not to drive up property prices and to ensure that young families can still afford homes. We’re already facing this issue in Switzerland, and I’d like to avoid contributing to the same problem in the U.S.

      Any thoughts, experiences, or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. I’m just at the beginning of this journey and eager to find out whether this path is realistic, or just a daydream.

      Thanks so much!


      Wow, wow, wow! We need more investors like you out here! I’m a realtor based in Memphis, and let me tell you. You can absolutely do this!

      The most important thing, especially in a market like Memphis, is having strong comps. Memphis is very much a street-by-street market, not one where you can just go by zip codes.

      You’ll probably want to be pretty hands-on with your first few deals, but over time, you’ll start to develop an instinct for it. Eventually, you’ll just plug the numbers into your calculator and instantly know whether a deal makes sense.

      I know you’re just getting started, and there are so many great cities to invest in across the country, but no matter where you decide to invest, keep that mindset. You can give people an affordable place they can call home.

      If you ever want to talk more about the Memphis market, I’m here. I'll shoot you over my guide and you just reach out if you have questions.

      Hi Kenneth,

      thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! That really means a lot, especially coming from someone with local experience in Memphis.

      I appreciate the reminder about how street-by-street the Memphis market is. That’s exactly the kind of insight I’m looking for, and it confirms that I’ll need to be very careful with comps and neighbourhood research.

      Also, thanks a lot for offering to share your guide. That would be amazing! I may take you up on that offer to chat more about the Memphis market once I’ve done a bit more homework on my end.

      Thanks again for your support and for being so open to helping me!

    • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kenneth Williams:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Kenneth Williams:
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m brand new to real estate and to this forum. I live in Switzerland and recently started researching U.S. real estate - specifically fix and flip - as a way to build capital and eventually transition into buy and hold for passive income.

      I’ve searched the forum for similar situations but haven’t found anything that quite fits my setup, so here I am with my first post.

      Since I’m not based in the U.S. and don’t have credit there, I’d be working with my own equity in a more affordable market - possibly Memphis, TN - but for now, my main question isn’t about location.

      What I’d really like to know is:

      • Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground?
      • Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term?

      I understand that flipping is a real job, not a passive hustle. I’m prepared to invest time and travel, especially in the beginning - but I also have a full-time job and can’t fly out for every project.

      I’m also unsure whether foreign investors are welcome in the U.S. It’s important to me not to drive up property prices and to ensure that young families can still afford homes. We’re already facing this issue in Switzerland, and I’d like to avoid contributing to the same problem in the U.S.

      Any thoughts, experiences, or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. I’m just at the beginning of this journey and eager to find out whether this path is realistic, or just a daydream.

      Thanks so much!


      Wow, wow, wow! We need more investors like you out here! I’m a realtor based in Memphis, and let me tell you. You can absolutely do this!

      The most important thing, especially in a market like Memphis, is having strong comps. Memphis is very much a street-by-street market, not one where you can just go by zip codes.

      You’ll probably want to be pretty hands-on with your first few deals, but over time, you’ll start to develop an instinct for it. Eventually, you’ll just plug the numbers into your calculator and instantly know whether a deal makes sense.

      I know you’re just getting started, and there are so many great cities to invest in across the country, but no matter where you decide to invest, keep that mindset. You can give people an affordable place they can call home.

      If you ever want to talk more about the Memphis market, I’m here. I'll shoot you over my guide and you just reach out if you have questions.

      Hi Kenneth,

      thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! That really means a lot, especially coming from someone with local experience in Memphis.

      I appreciate the reminder about how street-by-street the Memphis market is. That’s exactly the kind of insight I’m looking for, and it confirms that I’ll need to be very careful with comps and neighbourhood research.

      Also, thanks a lot for offering to share your guide. That would be amazing! I may take you up on that offer to chat more about the Memphis market once I’ve done a bit more homework on my end.

      Thanks again for your support and for being so open to helping me!


       When you get a chance. Go ahead and except my network request. You will find the guide here----->https://bit.ly/4clE4cv. Let know if you have any questions or concerns.


       Thanks a lot! :)

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m brand new to real estate and to this forum. I live in Switzerland and recently started researching U.S. real estate - specifically fix and flip - as a way to build capital and eventually transition into buy and hold for passive income.

    I’ve searched the forum for similar situations but haven’t found anything that quite fits my setup, so here I am with my first post.

    Since I’m not based in the U.S. and don’t have credit there, I’d be working with my own equity in a more affordable market - possibly Memphis, TN - but for now, my main question isn’t about location.

    What I’d really like to know is:

    • Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground?
    • Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term?

    I understand that flipping is a real job, not a passive hustle. I’m prepared to invest time and travel, especially in the beginning - but I also have a full-time job and can’t fly out for every project.

    I’m also unsure whether foreign investors are welcome in the U.S. It’s important to me not to drive up property prices and to ensure that young families can still afford homes. We’re already facing this issue in Switzerland, and I’d like to avoid contributing to the same problem in the U.S.

    Any thoughts, experiences, or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. I’m just at the beginning of this journey and eager to find out whether this path is realistic, or just a daydream.

    Thanks so much!


     We have done it from "afar" and it of course can be done, but here are the things you will need to be successful:

    1. A very strong general contractor

    2.A very strong construction manager (Seperate from the GC who can oversee the GC's work). This could also be a real estate agent but I recommend an architect or someone with construction experience.

    3. Great understanding of the property. We get floor plans made and draft very detailed scopes of work to make sure there is no confusion over what should or should not be done.

    4. Contracts written by our attorney.

    5. Good location

    Since you do not have experience with real estate in the US, it will be much more difficult for you, also I would not choose memphis as my first area as the market in memphis is street by street so the comps can have dramatic deltas. 

    You will also need some considerable funds to do this being from out of country financing will be harder.

    I am curious, why are you interested in getting involved in fix and flip from abroad vs. other real estate investment opportunities here in the US?

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m brand new to real estate and to this forum. I live in Switzerland and recently started researching U.S. real estate - specifically fix and flip - as a way to build capital and eventually transition into buy and hold for passive income.

      I’ve searched the forum for similar situations but haven’t found anything that quite fits my setup, so here I am with my first post.

      Since I’m not based in the U.S. and don’t have credit there, I’d be working with my own equity in a more affordable market - possibly Memphis, TN - but for now, my main question isn’t about location.

      What I’d really like to know is:

      • Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground?
      • Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term?

      I understand that flipping is a real job, not a passive hustle. I’m prepared to invest time and travel, especially in the beginning - but I also have a full-time job and can’t fly out for every project.

      I’m also unsure whether foreign investors are welcome in the U.S. It’s important to me not to drive up property prices and to ensure that young families can still afford homes. We’re already facing this issue in Switzerland, and I’d like to avoid contributing to the same problem in the U.S.

      Any thoughts, experiences, or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. I’m just at the beginning of this journey and eager to find out whether this path is realistic, or just a daydream.

      Thanks so much!


       We have done it from "afar" and it of course can be done, but here are the things you will need to be successful:

      1. A very strong general contractor

      2.A very strong construction manager (Seperate from the GC who can oversee the GC's work). This could also be a real estate agent but I recommend an architect or someone with construction experience.

      3. Great understanding of the property. We get floor plans made and draft very detailed scopes of work to make sure there is no confusion over what should or should not be done.

      4. Contracts written by our attorney.

      5. Good location

      Since you do not have experience with real estate in the US, it will be much more difficult for you, also I would not choose memphis as my first area as the market in memphis is street by street so the comps can have dramatic deltas. 

      You will also need some considerable funds to do this being from out of country financing will be harder.

      I am curious, why are you interested in getting involved in fix and flip from abroad vs. other real estate investment opportunities here in the US?


      Hi Chris,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to share such detailed insights. Your list gave me a much clearer picture of the reality behind this idea, and it’s exactly the kind of perspective I’m looking for right now.

      I totally understand your hesitation about Memphis for a beginner. I had initially looked into it because of the lower price points. Do you have any recommendations on where someone like me could start?

      To your question: why fix & flip from abroad? Honestly, it’s partly because I see it as an active way to grow capital while learning how the U.S. market works. Long term, I’m more interested in buy and hold for passive income. However, in Switzerland, achieving financial freedom through real estate requires a very large portfolio due to the high cost of living, so I saw flipping as a way to build up the necessary capital first.

      That said, I’m not fixed on this path. I’m still early in my research and totally open to other strategies that might be more realistic from abroad. What kinds of real estate investments would you recommend for someone in my situation?

  • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
    1y

    @Account Closed

    We are in a similar boat. Whereas I haven't taken the plunge just yet, I'm almost ready to do that. I may not flip though, but rather rent. 

    • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Howard:

      @Account Closed

      We are in a similar boat. Whereas I haven't taken the plunge just yet, I'm almost ready to do that. I may not flip though, but rather rent. 


      Wow, you're already a step ahead of me! Keep going and good luck!
    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @Zach Howard:

      @Account Closed

      We are in a similar boat. Whereas I haven't taken the plunge just yet, I'm almost ready to do that. I may not flip though, but rather rent. 


      Wow, you're already a step ahead of me! Keep going and good luck!

       Send me a DM - let's talk! PS: I have nothing to sell - just like connecting with like-minded people to exchange ideas and learn from each other. We'll go faster that way. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    You can lose your a$$ on a fix and flip being local and going to the project constantly. No matter how good of a team you think you have, no one is going to care as much about your project as you do. 

    If you had real estate experience and have a previous relationship with someone over here that can act as your eyes and ears it might work. If not, maybe you'll get lucky and find a dream team, but what's more likely is you'll find a team of smooth talkers looking to line their pockets at your expense. 

    • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nick C.:

      You can lose your a$$ on a fix and flip being local and going to the project constantly. No matter how good of a team you think you have, no one is going to care as much about your project as you do. 

      If you had real estate experience and have a previous relationship with someone over here that can act as your eyes and ears it might work. If not, maybe you'll get lucky and find a dream team, but what's more likely is you'll find a team of smooth talkers looking to line their pockets at your expense. 


      Hi Nick,

      Thanks for the honest and direct input. I really appreciate you not sugarcoating it.

      I totally understand your point about how risky it can be, even for people who are local and experienced. I don't have a trusted partner on the ground, and I definitely don’t want to walk into this blindly or fall for the "smooth talkers" you mentioned.

      Thanks for your comment. It is a valuable reality check for me.

  • Lindsay DavisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2019 · 322 posts · 200 votes
    1y

    @Account Closed,

    Building a team, steering the project, staying on budget, and holding people accountable is going to be an uphill battle for sure—especially since you’re doing it all the way from Switzerland.

    Is it possible? Like @Chris Seveney said, it can be—but it’s probably not the best strategy for someone new to U.S. real estate.

    If you still want exposure to real estate here but can’t do fix-and-flips, options like turnkey real estate (where you buy a professionally-managed property with a tenant in-place) may be a better option for you.

    There are some groups that even do turnkey specifically for foreign investors like myself—happy to connect you if you’re interested.

    Beyond that, investing in deals via a syndicate, private real estate fund, or publicly-traded REITs could also be options, though you’ll be a minority owner and have little operating discretion under these arrangements.

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Lindsay Davis:

      @Account Closed,

      Building a team, steering the project, staying on budget, and holding people accountable is going to be an uphill battle for sure—especially since you’re doing it all the way from Switzerland.

      Is it possible? Like @Chris Seveney said, it can be—but it’s probably not the best strategy for someone new to U.S. real estate.

      If you still want exposure to real estate here but can’t do fix-and-flips, options like turnkey real estate (where you buy a professionally-managed property with a tenant in-place) may be a better option for you.

      There are some groups that even do turnkey specifically for foreign investors like myself—happy to connect you if you’re interested.

      Beyond that, investing in deals via a syndicate, private real estate fund, or publicly-traded REITs could also be options, though you’ll be a minority owner and have little operating discretion under these arrangements.


       I agree, turnkey providers like Rent to retirement and Zach Lemaster are also good sources

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    1. Can fix and flip work remotely if I build a strong, reliable team on the ground? No

    2. Or is it essential to be there in person for every project - even in the long term? Yes

    Even you planned on moving to the states for 6 months+ to get to know everything about the market you are looking to invest, learn about the construction process on the homes that you plan to target, and build a strong reliable team, I'd still consider this a bad plan.

    Fix & flipping is challenging enough when you're local. I try to never buy a deal that is more than a 10 minute drive from my home/office. Can't imagine doing it from Switzerland. You will have quality issues and will almost certainly be taken advantage of in some way.

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    @Account Closed

    Welcome to the BP community. This is a great place to do research to get started on your REI journey.

    It's great that you have a passion to get started in REI and there is no doubt that is a great place to build wealth. Each of the REI strategies will work if done right some just carry meaning more hurdles and risk for certain investors. Fixing and flip is a great strategy and it does work well, I have used it many times. But there is a lot of risk and things very seldom go smooth as outsiders see. The risk of you trying the strategy to build capital with the two hurdles of being out of the country and new to the industry would be something I would not recommend to an investor.

    When I talk with investors, especially ones that have full-time jobs and are not looking for another job, we normally look for better options than fix and flip. When I talk with a new investor, I want to make sure we are trying strategy that will definitely be successful and start that investor on their REI journey.

    With many investors that have demanding full-time jobs, whether they are local or investing OOS, I would recommend looking into a turnkey investment. This way you can have professionals help you with market, finding a deal, acquisition, and even property management. With this type of strategy, it gives the investor, the best chance of success, and the best chance to be ready for the next investment.

    I would also talk with an investor in your position about looking into Build to Rent.  this way you can get investing experience with a brand new property that will have less headaches day, one, and less overall maintenance for the first part of its life. This takes one big  risk out of the investing, then you can focus on managing the tenant and running the property.

    Please connect if you have any further questions about this and best of luck on your investing journey

  • Jeremy MelloulPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 83 votes
    1y

    Of course you can! You just need the right people in place—and the right agent can help you build that team.

    Plenty of investors flip remotely. It’s all about having solid boots on the ground you trust. Sounds like you’re thinking about it the right way, especially being willing to travel early on.

    And yes, foreign investors are welcome—as long as you're thoughtful about your approach (which you clearly are), you're good.

    Let me know if you ever want to talk deals or team structure.

  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Chris Seveney thank you for the mention!

    @Account Closed Flipping homes (locally or remotely) can be a good way to build additional capital to buy rentals, if that is what your ultimate goal is.  That is exactly how I started when I ran out of down payments to use to finance rental properties.  However, as many others have mentioned, flipping homes requires an entire team that can take time to develop.  Flipping homes most certainly is more of an active way to invest (as you acknowledged), but there is also a fair amount of risk associated with that strategy, and it also requires capital to get started.  You can use lenders (hard money or banks) to help finance the flip, but those loans usually come with additional costs, higher rates, and shorter terms.  You can get yourself in a bind that could set you back years if the flip doesn't go as planned, takes longe than expected or you have contractors that don't manage the project appropriately.  That is the biggest risk I see with starting a new venture into flipping homes.

    If you're ultimate goal is to own rentals, I would recommend trying to find ways to start with that strategy to better understand the market you are considering investing in along with building a foundation of rentals that doesn't solely rely on your flipping endeavors to fund the rentals.  There are also ways to buy new construction at steep discounts allowing for immediate equity that help kickstart your portfolio.  That is what we focus on at RTR.

    Anything can be done with the right team in the right market.  My biggest advice is to really spend some time to have complete clarity on exactly what you are trying to accomplish and map out a plan that includes all the pros/cons and risks of each strategy.

    For truly passive income, investing in diversified, secured notes is a great way to enter into the REI space with lower capital amounts as well. @Chris Seveney is the best in the business when it comes to this strategy and has the proven track record to stand behind.  We have many investors that own rentals and also invest in notes that are more passive.

    Hope this helps!

    -To your success!

    Zach

  • Investor · Miami · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 18 votes
    1y

    Hi @Account Closed we are in the same boat! Fellow out of country investor here, from Guatemala City, Guatemala.  I started researching and networking here in Bigger Pockets a little over 2 years ago.  Consumed as much content as possible: forums, blogs, podcasts, YouTube, online courses, followed "gurus" on social media, etc. Then last year I decided to get on a plane to check out the markets I picked and shake hands with the people I intended to work with.

    Fast forward and I have completed 2 fix and flips, one in Detroit and one in Cleveland (dangerous markets for many). Currently working on 2 more that are about to hit the market and just purchased my 5th deal a couple of weeks ago.

    So, to answer your question: yes it can be done! Not easy, lots of risk, headaches, and maybe I am spending more than local investors are, but you can make it work! During this time I have learned of ways you can get started and get your feet wet while reducing some of the risks you encounter when diving in by your self.  Send me a DM, happy to connect.  

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Oscar Meneses if you ever get in a crunch in Detroit, DM me:)

  • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Hi everyone,

    Thank you so much to all of you who took the time to respond with such detailed and helpful answers! These insights are incredibly valuable and will definitely help guide me on my journey. I’m really impressed with how supportive and engaged the community is here!

    From the many responses, I gather there are mixed opinions about my idea, but the general consensus seems to lean toward not starting with fix-and-flip remotely. Several people have pointed out the risks involved. At the same time, there are examples where it’s worked, but that requires a lot more effort and preparation.

    This gives me a lot to think about, and I’ll be sure to continue weighing my options moving forward.

    I really appreciate all your perspectives, and I’ll definitely reach out again with any further questions!

    Thanks again to everyone for the valuable tips and advice!

  • Matthew CatesBusiness Member
    Investor · Germantown, TN · Member since 2017 · 547 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    Hey Tibor... really appreciate how thoughtfully you're approaching this. You're right, remote fix-and-flips can work in the right market, but only with solid systems and trusted boots on the ground. The risk goes way up without that.

    I've actually done some investing just south of you in Firenze, IT and one of my team members is based near Modena, IT... happy to connect you two if it'd help to talk things through in a more local time zone.

    I'm in Memphis, TN... great market for rentals and long-term plays... and would be glad to show you what a lower-risk path like BRRRR or turnkey could look like from abroad.

    Either way, you're asking the right questions.  You're also getting in durring a great investor's market since owner occupants are sitting on the sidelines (anotehr reason why flips are hard right now).

    Keep going... and if I can ever help, just let me know!

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hello Tibor, yes everything possible on site/remotely if you have the right people that you can trust. If you don't have the right people, even they are next to you, you will have big problems.

    First, choose a market that you would like to focus on. 

    Second, look for the right people to manage the team members or who has their own teams already. Latter is better.

    Third, buy and start your first fix-and-flip, see where are the flaws on the system and try to fix those issues permanently for the 2nd flip.

    Good luck with the journey!

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Timor, I think your first question SHOULD be about location. When new investors start talking about “affordable” and “lower price point” they usually don’t equate those words with less desirable as they should. Fixing and flipping a property where people don’t really want to live can be a great way to lose money….

  • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Hi everyone,

    First of all, thanks again for all the valuable advice and warnings shared earlier.
    I really appreciate it!

    I came across Heaton Dainard’s "Fix and Flip Concierge Service" (https://heatondainard.com/fix-and-flip/) and I’m curious:
    Do you think a service like this could be a good option for someone like me, trying to flip remotely from abroad? Would a solution where you are more "guided and accompanied," be a more reasonable way to get started?

    I understand that using such a service would reduce the overall profit, but at the same time, it might make it realistic and even possible to carry out remotely, while also helping to minimize the risk.

    Yes, I know they operate in a much higher-priced area compared to Memphis, but I’m still wondering if this type of service could be a good option.

    Has anyone here had any experience with Heaton Dainard or a similar concierge service? I’d love to hear any feedback about working with such a setup.

    Thanks so much in advance for any feedback!

  • Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 75 votes
    1y

    @Account Closed recommend avoiding them at all cost.  If you do any sort of research about them online, it's not good, and I've read things about possible multiple lawsuits.  Also, seems like they only work in one geographic area, PNW, which is one of the most expensive locations.  There is no easy switch here for flipping from a distance.  If anyone tells you they will do this for you, then they are the ones making the profits.  Why would they need you if they are doing all the work finding the deal, fixing it and selling it.  Sounds like that is actually 3 ways they are profiting.  Maybe you would be a private lender, which still has significant risk, as you are 100% relying on the team to return your capital and pay the interest.  However, with a good operator, lending funds is a decent option to earn a decent return on your capital.  Maybe that is a better fit for you.

  • Matthew CatesBusiness Member
    Investor · Germantown, TN · Member since 2017 · 547 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    @Account Closed Have you considered going to a hybrid turn-key provider?  Someone who walks you through buying a house at discount, rehabbing it as needed (within or under budget), getting it rented to perform at your desired performance?  Obviously, you'd need to, "start with the end in mind," but then you can get a feel for the process.  There are a handful of good companies, including myself (obviously), who would be able to do this for you.  Some companies will only be the property manager for properties they do the rehab on...that way they know what has been done and the quality it's been done at.  It's a great idea, until when you want to keep all of your properties at on PM but want to try and source and rehab your own properties.  All that to return to, "start with the end in mind."

    "I beseech you brethren," do your due diligence because I have a client who is trying to get out of a deal (not anything I'm involved with other than given them insight on how to move forward) where they bought a house but the, "turn-key provider," has sat on the rehab for about 6 months.  It should have been completed within 2 months and performing within 4 months.  Everyone's best guess is the provider created a pyramid scheme and spent the rehab money.

    • New to Real Estate · Switzerland · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Matthew Cates:

      @Account Closed Have you considered going to a hybrid turn-key provider?  Someone who walks you through buying a house at discount, rehabbing it as needed (within or under budget), getting it rented to perform at your desired performance?  Obviously, you'd need to, "start with the end in mind," but then you can get a feel for the process.  There are a handful of good companies, including myself (obviously), who would be able to do this for you.  Some companies will only be the property manager for properties they do the rehab on...that way they know what has been done and the quality it's been done at.  It's a great idea, until when you want to keep all of your properties at on PM but want to try and source and rehab your own properties.  All that to return to, "start with the end in mind."

      "I beseech you brethren," do your due diligence because I have a client who is trying to get out of a deal (not anything I'm involved with other than given them insight on how to move forward) where they bought a house but the, "turn-key provider," has sat on the rehab for about 6 months.  It should have been completed within 2 months and performing within 4 months.  Everyone's best guess is the provider created a pyramid scheme and spent the rehab money.

      Hi Matthew,

      thanks for your message and the helpful warning.
      That’s exactly why I’m asking questions here and not jumping into anything blindly.

      Just to clarify: are you referring to something like a BRRRR strategy with this hybrid turnkey model? If so, I'm not sure how realistic that is for a foreigner without a U.S. credit score... (?)

      Thanks again! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.