Flip loans offered by local bank

Flip loans offered by local bank

Real Estate Broker · Burlington, NC · Member since 2013 · 95 posts · 52 votes

I have been in the buy and hold market for several years and a business partner and myself are considering flipping a few houses per year. We have done a good bit of research on the topic and it seems that many people are using hard money lenders that charge several points and high interest rates. I have a local bank that I have a good relationship with(many of my rental loans are with them) and they are now offering flip loans and I wanted to see what the more experienced people think about their terms.

15% down payment

5% interest rate

Interest only payments for 12 months

1% origination fee

They will also roll the repairs into the loan

In house appraisal done at the branch(no fee), the house needs to "appraise" for the purchase plus repairs.

The example he gave me was

Purchase price $125k

Repairs $40k

Total $165k

Down payment: $165k x 15% = $24,750

Loan Amt: $140,250

Monthly Payment: $584.38

To me it seems like a no brainer compared to hard money lenders. Has anyone seen or have experience with loans like this?

2Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y

Sounds like a fantastic product. I'd jump on it if it were offered to me...

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Burlington, NC · Member since 2013 · 95 posts · 52 votes
    12y

    @Justin Tahilramani you are questioning the legitimacy of my post because I didn't respond to you within 24 hours of your request? Seems a little premature of you to jump to such conclusions so fast...I am not on this forum 24/7...I have responded to each and every private request but I am not so sure I will to yours....

  • Real Estate Broker · NW Indiana · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    that deal makes me look forward to a bright future in RE investing :)

    I'd bet your one of that banks' best customers (I think you said you have your other properties through them). Your getting the big advantage of being a big fish in their small pond.

    Building great relationships with all your vendors is key to success. This bank trusts you and wants to get all your future business so they want to give you a good deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    12y

    @Bill Sargeson - I apologize. I really did not intend to offend you. I have not had any luck finding banks with good rates for investors. I am glad that you have found one that will work with you. Do you think they will continue to offer this loan, or is it some type of a pilot program? Do they only originate loans in the local area?

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    12y

    We had a bank that did similar loans for flippers a few years ago. I did not need one (use a line of credit on my home), but had two clients who used it. They paid it back and everybody made money, no problem.

    Then the feds got involved and apparently the bank had done something wrong. They were not allowed to write ANY loans for several months and all the loan officers "retired". It was very bad. The new commercial loan officer told me the bank lost money on the flip loans, but I haven't seen any of their foreclosed properties so I don't know if this is true.

    Bottom line, if they're offering this to you, take it while it's still available!

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    12y

    Maybe banks don't like all the new regulation (SAFE Act, Dodd Frank, etc) anymore than us investors so they are getting to the much less regulated flipper loans...start of a new trend?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.