What are factors in deciding how to manage your PM *information* ?

What are factors in deciding how to manage your PM *information* ?

App Designer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 124 posts · 31 votes

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the most significant pain points are for DIY (do-it-yourself) property investors. That is, those of you who own rentals and manage them personally (as I do).

Some questions I have so far:

  • why are you a DIY owner instead of using a PM company? Is it only because of cost savings?
  • what is your method for keeping track of all of your asset/task information (buildings, tenants, leases, listings, repairs)? Excel? Paper files? Software X?
  • how did you choose the method above? What do you value most about your particular choice?
  • what other things do you have to keep track of regularly as it concerns your rental business?

Any other things I should consider? Thank you for sharing your insights.

0Reply
31 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    1. I wanted to learn the trade of landloring so when I'm forced to use PM due to scale, I will know how to hold my PMs accountable.

    2. Google Drive, sheets, and Asana. I'm looking for other ways to improve.

    3. I like having everything based in the cloud. Asana is a great collaborative Project Management software that I can use to assign my contractor tasks and it provides me with a dashboard to see what my proprieties are for each property.

    4. Expenses and rent checks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.