Serious Question for Active Investors (Flippers & BRRR Operators Especially)

Serious Question for Active Investors (Flippers & BRRR Operators Especially)

Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes

Quick context before I ask this.

My name is Luis Morales. I grew up in Illinois, and for the past few years I’ve been living in Mexico, working remotely within the U.S. real estate industry. 

And there’s one pattern I keep seeing over and over.

Let’s call it what it is:

Most investors don’t trust wholesalers.

Not because all wholesalers are bad but because ARVs are often inflated, comps are questionable, and assumptions are overly optimistic. By the time a deal hits your inbox, you’re already assuming it’s wrong and re-underwriting it from scratch.

That’s exhausting.

And at scale, it’s inefficient.

To be fair some good wholesalers are very good at one thing:

👉 finding distressed, off-market properties.

That skill absolutely matters.

But here’s the thought experiment I can’t shake:

What if investors had their own acquisitions partner not a wholesaler that they sometimes get deals from?

What if instead, you had one dedicated acquisition partner, someone who works only according to how you invest?

Not someone selling you deals.

Not someone paid to hype ARVs.

But someone embedded into your operation.

Someone who:

- Knows your buy box cold

- Understands your underwriting model

- Uses your ARV logic, rehab ranges, and margin thresholds

- Filters deals before they ever hit your desk

When a fix-and-flip or value-add deal comes up, this person would:

- Underwrite it exactly how you do

- Pull real comps (not retail fantasy comps)

- Deliver a tight, one-page deal summary

- Send it to you for a fast approve / pass

- If approved, help move it through contract

- And if it closes, stay involved. helping coordinate vendors, timelines, and execution instead of disappearing

In other words:

👉 Someone whose incentives are aligned with your profit, not deal volume.

So I’m genuinely curious:

-   Would a long-term acquisition + execution partner like this be valuable to you?

-   Would you rather work with one person who truly understands your model vs. constantly re-underwriting deals from different wholesalers?

-   And does a comp structure like $1,000 at purchase + 1% of final sale price feel fair if that person is involved end-to-end and accountable for outcomes?

Not selling anything.

Just pressure testing an idea based on what I see investors struggle with every day.

I’d especially love to hear from:

High-volume flippers

BRRR investors

Anyone doing 5+ deals per year

But even if your a new investor doing 1 or 2 deals a years, please don't hesitate to leave your comment. 

Tear it apart if you want I’m here for honest feedback.

4Reply
291 views

Most Popular Reply

Steven WeidlerPro Member
Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 9 votes
9mo

For context, im certainly not a high-volume fix and flip guy.

I bought 4 duplexes in 25 and hope to get to 5-6 in 2026... Im a long term hold guy. My first one was a duplex when i moved home from college and it stuck with me. I'll been doing it for years and its what i know and love. Ive done 2 true fix and holds in 6 years. I own 3 single family houses, done 4 fix and flips in 10 years total.... all that to say im VERY pickey with my property because 1. I service my holds so i find tenants play landlord ect. Id rather find a few awesome buys, places i would move my family, take a slice to the margin and be more pickey with renters. I'm a control freak so it works for me....So picky about the property not pickey about the immediate returns (important for later).

In the first few years i never would have done something like you suggested. I sold loans for 15 years i can cold call. I was young, had all the energy, only a hand full of doors and totally single... now that im the landlord to close to 25 doors and counting, married with 3 little ones that demand time with dad (blessed) and thats exactly what id like. Someone i can outsource the sourcing at lease 75% of it.... I'd pay handsome or even in equity (or a combo) if i found someone who operated the way you described. I used to do all my own prospecting in the beginning but now I just dont have the time/energy so if i met a true PARTNER who handled the sourcing of the properties... gave me only things that are in a very select criteria..... and could assure me 2-6 a year..... ****of course no ones perfect but if a partner sent 5 and i bought 1 id be THRILLED WITH THAT. 

That to me this is the golden goose. My holly grail. Managing and maintaining profitability is where im good. This would let me that a SUPER IMPORTANT aspect out of my lap and focus on making sure the portfolio exceeds expectations. I dont know what id pay for that because ive never found anything close. i either hear lip services and then get nothing lead wise or i'll tell someone what im looking for and they spam me with things thats arent anywhere close.

If what you described really exists, i'd love to meet that person. Thats a true partner, and i can always use a true strategic partner.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Polo VazquezPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · McAllen, TX · Member since 2017 · 382 posts · 281 votes
    9mo

    Hey Luis. This sounds like a great idea and I know it would work. I don't blame wholesalers, they are just trying to make the most amount of money possible. As investor what we try to do is develop a relationship with the good ones so that we can trust their numbers and save time. What you are proposing is transparency and volume. 

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Polo Vazquez:

      Hey Luis. This sounds like a great idea and I know it would work. I don't blame wholesalers, they are just trying to make the most amount of money possible. As investor what we try to do is develop a relationship with the good ones so that we can trust their numbers and save time. What you are proposing is transparency and volume. 


       Thank you, Polo! I really appreciate your perspective.

      What got me thinking about this model is exactly that, building a relationship based on numbers the investor can trust, volume that actually fits their buy box, and having someone focused on their criteria only, not pushing deals that don’t really work.

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9mo

    I would definitely consider the rationship and the pmt worth it. I am in SWFL let me know if you are looking to work this area!

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Monica Molina:

      I would definitely consider the rationship and the pmt worth it. I am in SWFL let me know if you are looking to work this area!

      Thanks Monica, I appreciate that. SWFL is absolutely an area I’m open to working in.
      If you’re open to connecting, feel free to DM me. I’d love to learn more about what you’re buying and see if there’s a good fit to work together.
  • Lakewood NJ · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    9mo

    @Luis Morales hi reach out i bought 00 + properties in nj doing fix and flips and rentals

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Eliyahou Gronstein:

      @Luis Morales hi reach out i bought 00 + properties in nj doing fix and flips and rentals


       Appreciate it! I'll DM you.

    • Steven WeidlerPro Member
      Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 9 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Eliyahou Gronstein:

      @Luis Morales hi reach out i bought 00 + properties in nj doing fix and flips and rentals


       Hello, Hope all is well.

      See your out of Lakewood, im on the other side of NJ. i'm going to shoot you a private message.

  • Steven WeidlerPro Member
    Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    9mo

    For context, im certainly not a high-volume fix and flip guy.

    I bought 4 duplexes in 25 and hope to get to 5-6 in 2026... Im a long term hold guy. My first one was a duplex when i moved home from college and it stuck with me. I'll been doing it for years and its what i know and love. Ive done 2 true fix and holds in 6 years. I own 3 single family houses, done 4 fix and flips in 10 years total.... all that to say im VERY pickey with my property because 1. I service my holds so i find tenants play landlord ect. Id rather find a few awesome buys, places i would move my family, take a slice to the margin and be more pickey with renters. I'm a control freak so it works for me....So picky about the property not pickey about the immediate returns (important for later).

    In the first few years i never would have done something like you suggested. I sold loans for 15 years i can cold call. I was young, had all the energy, only a hand full of doors and totally single... now that im the landlord to close to 25 doors and counting, married with 3 little ones that demand time with dad (blessed) and thats exactly what id like. Someone i can outsource the sourcing at lease 75% of it.... I'd pay handsome or even in equity (or a combo) if i found someone who operated the way you described. I used to do all my own prospecting in the beginning but now I just dont have the time/energy so if i met a true PARTNER who handled the sourcing of the properties... gave me only things that are in a very select criteria..... and could assure me 2-6 a year..... ****of course no ones perfect but if a partner sent 5 and i bought 1 id be THRILLED WITH THAT. 

    That to me this is the golden goose. My holly grail. Managing and maintaining profitability is where im good. This would let me that a SUPER IMPORTANT aspect out of my lap and focus on making sure the portfolio exceeds expectations. I dont know what id pay for that because ive never found anything close. i either hear lip services and then get nothing lead wise or i'll tell someone what im looking for and they spam me with things thats arent anywhere close.

    If what you described really exists, i'd love to meet that person. Thats a true partner, and i can always use a true strategic partner.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Steven Weidler:

      For context, im certainly not a high-volume fix and flip guy.

      I bought 4 duplexes in 25 and hope to get to 5-6 in 2026... Im a long term hold guy. My first one was a duplex when i moved home from college and it stuck with me. I'll been doing it for years and its what i know and love. Ive done 2 true fix and holds in 6 years. I own 3 single family houses, done 4 fix and flips in 10 years total.... all that to say im VERY pickey with my property because 1. I service my holds so i find tenants play landlord ect. Id rather find a few awesome buys, places i would move my family, take a slice to the margin and be more pickey with renters. I'm a control freak so it works for me....So picky about the property not pickey about the immediate returns (important for later).

      In the first few years i never would have done something like you suggested. I sold loans for 15 years i can cold call. I was young, had all the energy, only a hand full of doors and totally single... now that im the landlord to close to 25 doors and counting, married with 3 little ones that demand time with dad (blessed) and thats exactly what id like. Someone i can outsource the sourcing at lease 75% of it.... I'd pay handsome or even in equity (or a combo) if i found someone who operated the way you described. I used to do all my own prospecting in the beginning but now I just dont have the time/energy so if i met a true PARTNER who handled the sourcing of the properties... gave me only things that are in a very select criteria..... and could assure me 2-6 a year..... ****of course no ones perfect but if a partner sent 5 and i bought 1 id be THRILLED WITH THAT. 

      That to me this is the golden goose. My holly grail. Managing and maintaining profitability is where im good. This would let me that a SUPER IMPORTANT aspect out of my lap and focus on making sure the portfolio exceeds expectations. I dont know what id pay for that because ive never found anything close. i either hear lip services and then get nothing lead wise or i'll tell someone what im looking for and they spam me with things thats arent anywhere close.

      If what you described really exists, i'd love to meet that person. Thats a true partner, and i can always use a true strategic partner.

      Steven, this is exactly the kind of operator I had in mind when I wrote the post.
      What stands out to me isn’t deal count, it’s how intentional you are. Long-term holds, self-managed doors, selective buying, and being willing to give up a little margin for better assets and tenants tells me you’re optimizing for durability, not trophies. That’s rare. Your point about evolution resonates too. Early on, you are the sourcing engine. Later, time, energy, and focus become the bottleneck, especially with 25 doors and a young family. Outsourcing sourcing only works if the person doing it is disciplined enough to protect your time and not send noise. 
      Sending 5 to buy 1 and calling that a win is exactly how I think about it. I’m not claiming a magic solution or perfection.
      What I’m interested in is alignment around: a very tight buy box, conservative underwriting, and accountability over time, not deal blasts.
      If you’re open to it, I’d enjoy a conversation just to understand how you evaluate duplexes and small multis, what makes something a “hell yes” for you, and where sourcing consistently breaks down. 
      No pitch,  just seeing if the thinking lines up. Either way, I appreciate the thoughtful response. This is the kind of clarity that makes real partnerships possible.
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hey Luis,

    I think this model would be especially valuable for investors doing multiple deals per year. That said, many investors naturally develop relationships with a few reliable wholesalers who get familiar with their buy box and deal criteria. In some cases, these wholesalers effectively act as informal acquisition partners.

    Whether a separate, dedicated acquisition partner makes sense really comes down to cost-efficiency. If the benefits outweigh the costs, then having a formal acquisition partner could definitely add value.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Mohammed Rahman:

      Hey Luis,

      I think this model would be especially valuable for investors doing multiple deals per year. That said, many investors naturally develop relationships with a few reliable wholesalers who get familiar with their buy box and deal criteria. In some cases, these wholesalers effectively act as informal acquisition partners.

      Whether a separate, dedicated acquisition partner makes sense really comes down to cost-efficiency. If the benefits outweigh the costs, then having a formal acquisition partner could definitely add value.


       That’s a fair assessment.

      Strong operators do end up building relationships with a few wholesalers who learn their buy box, and when that works, it can feel very similar to an informal acquisition partnership. For a lot of investors, that’s “good enough.”

      Where I see the potential difference is in incentives and focus. Even good wholesalers are still compensated on deal volume, not on long-term performance or fit, so the filtering often loosens over time. For investors doing multiple deals a year, the hidden cost becomes time, re-underwriting, and attention.

      I agree it ultimately comes down to cost-efficiency. If the time saved, noise reduced, and decision quality improved outweigh the cost, then a dedicated partner makes sense. If not, the existing setup wins.

      Appreciate you adding a balanced perspective, that’s exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for.

  • Frank PyleBusiness Member
    Specialist · USA · Member since 2024 · 279 posts · 130 votes
    9mo

    I get why you are thinking this way. Most of us assume any deal package is padded so we end up rebuilding the whole thing anyway, and the real cost is the time and mental bandwidth.

    That is basically what Investor Edge Concierge does. It is not a wholesaler feeding you random deals. It is a deal analysis and acquisitions support setup built around your buy box and your numbers, with real comps, conservative rehab ranges, and a clean summary so you can make a fast yes or no. If it is a go, we can help keep it moving through contract and stay involved as you line up the next steps instead of disappearing after the signature.

    On comp, I would rather see incentives tied to clean buys and clean execution, not just a fee for volume. How are you defining ARV standards and rehab scope upfront, and who has final say when the numbers get tight on a deal?

    Frank Pyle at ExP Realty
    NEXA Lending- Investors Edge Concierge
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · NYC · Member since 2024 · 52 posts · 17 votes
    9mo

    Sounds really interesting. Would this be a "salaried wholesaler cold caller"?

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Lucas De Carvalho:

      Sounds really interesting. Would this be a "salaried wholesaler cold caller"?


       Good question and no, that’s not how I’m thinking about it.

      This isn’t a salaried cold caller or a volume-based wholesaler model. Cold calling might be one tool, but the role is broader and more accountable than that. The value isn’t in dialing, it’s in filtering, underwriting, and alignment.

      Think of it more like an embedded acquisitions function:

      sourcing through multiple channels,

      underwriting deals to your standards,

      killing 90% of opportunities before you ever see them,

      and only bringing you things that are actually worth a decision.

      Comp and structure would reflect that. In some cases that could include performance-based pay, equity, or a hybrid, depending on volume and scope. The common thread is that incentives are tied to quality and outcomes, not call counts or deal blasts.

      If that distinction resonates, then it’s probably worth a deeper conversation.

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Not sure you can get anyone good for so cheap. You want to outsource all this hard work and value and pay them less than a regular wholesalers. If they could do all the things you were asking they should be paid like 50% of profits. Only younger people or people without actual skill would accept such a one sided deal. We had to pay $80k in wholesale fees once, and it turned out to be awesome long term for us. It’s just one of things where value is valuable and therefore expensive.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Josh C.:

      Not sure you can get anyone good for so cheap. You want to outsource all this hard work and value and pay them less than a regular wholesalers. If they could do all the things you were asking they should be paid like 50% of profits. Only younger people or people without actual skill would accept such a one sided deal. We had to pay $80k in wholesale fees once, and it turned out to be awesome long term for us. It’s just one of things where value is valuable and therefore expensive.


       I hear you, and I agree with the core idea, real value shouldn’t be cheap.

      One important piece of context, though, is geography and currency. What might feel “low” in U.S. dollars isn’t viewed the same way everywhere. Operating out of Mexico, a structure like this is meaningful and sufficient for me without needing to extract maximum upside from every deal.

      That’s intentional.

      I’m not trying to underpay value or race to the bottom. The goal is the opposite: to keep more profit on the investor’s side while still being compensated fairly and staying fully aligned long term. If I charged the same fees many U.S.-based wholesalers do, I absolutely could, but then I’m no different than what already exists.

      What I’m pressure-testing is whether a leaner, aligned structure can create better outcomes on both sides: investors keep more of the upside, and I focus on execution, selectivity, and accountability instead of deal volume.

      And to be clear, compensation should scale with trust, scope, and results. If the value created justifies a bigger structure (profit share, equity, etc.), I’m not opposed to that at all. I’d actually expect it in a real partnership.

      Appreciate you pushing on this. it’s a fair challenge and part of why I wanted honest feedback.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9mo
    I mean, you are describing an Acquisitions Manager/person, which a lot of larger direct buyers already hire. Typically it is a straight commission or draw-based comp setup with bonuses based on performance.

    It seemed based on your post that you were possibly thinking this was a new idea/thing, but it's a role that has existed for a long time for regular buyers.


    Quote from @Luis Morales:

    Quick context before I ask this.

    My name is Luis Morales. I grew up in Illinois, and for the past few years I’ve been living in Mexico, working remotely within the U.S. real estate industry. 

    And there’s one pattern I keep seeing over and over.

    Let’s call it what it is:

    Most investors don’t trust wholesalers.

    Not because all wholesalers are bad but because ARVs are often inflated, comps are questionable, and assumptions are overly optimistic. By the time a deal hits your inbox, you’re already assuming it’s wrong and re-underwriting it from scratch.

    That’s exhausting.

    And at scale, it’s inefficient.

    To be fair some good wholesalers are very good at one thing:

    👉 finding distressed, off-market properties.

    That skill absolutely matters.

    But here’s the thought experiment I can’t shake:

    What if investors had their own acquisitions partner not a wholesaler that they sometimes get deals from?

    What if instead, you had one dedicated acquisition partner, someone who works only according to how you invest?

    Not someone selling you deals.

    Not someone paid to hype ARVs.

    But someone embedded into your operation.

    Someone who:

    - Knows your buy box cold

    - Understands your underwriting model

    - Uses your ARV logic, rehab ranges, and margin thresholds

    - Filters deals before they ever hit your desk

    When a fix-and-flip or value-add deal comes up, this person would:

    - Underwrite it exactly how you do

    - Pull real comps (not retail fantasy comps)

    - Deliver a tight, one-page deal summary

    - Send it to you for a fast approve / pass

    - If approved, help move it through contract

    - And if it closes, stay involved. helping coordinate vendors, timelines, and execution instead of disappearing

    In other words:

    👉 Someone whose incentives are aligned with your profit, not deal volume.

    So I’m genuinely curious:

    -   Would a long-term acquisition + execution partner like this be valuable to you?

    -   Would you rather work with one person who truly understands your model vs. constantly re-underwriting deals from different wholesalers?

    -   And does a comp structure like $1,000 at purchase + 1% of final sale price feel fair if that person is involved end-to-end and accountable for outcomes?

    Not selling anything.

    Just pressure testing an idea based on what I see investors struggle with every day.

    I’d especially love to hear from:

    High-volume flippers

    BRRR investors

    Anyone doing 5+ deals per year

    But even if your a new investor doing 1 or 2 deals a years, please don't hesitate to leave your comment. 

    Tear it apart if you want I’m here for honest feedback.


  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9mo

    This sounds exactly like the job description of a Real Estate Acquisitions Manager, sometimes also called Acquisitions Specialist, Acquisitions Agent or in-house buyer. There are many companies that offer these services and individuals who do this working for RE firms or freelance. You can make good money in this role if you are good. 

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 8 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Steve K.:

      This sounds exactly like the job description of a Real Estate Acquisitions Manager, sometimes also called Acquisitions Specialist, Acquisitions Agent or in-house buyer. There are many companies that offer these services and individuals who do this working for RE firms or freelance. You can make good money in this role if you are good. 


       You’re right , functionally, there’s a lot of overlap with what many firms call an Acquisitions Manager or in-house buyer.

      Where I see the distinction isn’t the tasks, it’s the structure and incentives. In most setups, an acquisitions role is salaried or commission-based inside a firm, focused on feeding that company’s pipeline. As a freelancer, it’s often still transactional or volume-driven.

      What I’m exploring is a model where that same skillset is applied exclusively to one investor or a very small number of partners, with underwriting standards, buy box, and incentives tied directly to that investor’s long-term performance, not deal count or speed.

      In other words, same muscles, different alignment.

      Totally agree with you though: if someone is good at this, they should make good money. The whole premise only works if the value created is real and the compensation scales with it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.