Hey everyone, looking for some advice. I have two long term rentals and did not successfully BRRR them. Looking to do my first flip but my problem is I want to get them direct from seller. My rentals I purchased whole saled which didn't leave much meat on the bone to refinance and pull cash out leaving too much money into the deal. Anyone have any tips on getting them direct to seller or from another source to cut out the middle man (wholesaler). I appreciate all the feedback.
Real Estate Broker · Belmont, MA · Member since 2025 · 150 posts · 65 votes
8mo
Louis, you are already ahead of most people because you have rentals and you learned what happens when the numbers are tight. That lesson will save you money on the flip side.
If you want to buy direct from the seller, you need to be where sellers go before they ever call a wholesaler. That usually means simple outreach. Driving for dollars, sending basic letters, and calling owners who have clear signs of stress like vacant homes, code issues, or inherited properties. These owners care more about speed and certainty than price, so your ability to explain a clean and easy close is your edge.
Another strong move is working closely with a few agents who focus on older or distressed homes. Let them know you can move fast, handle repairs, and close without drama. They will bring you deals before they ever hit the open market.
The benefit of going direct is control. You set the price, the timeline, and the terms. That is how you leave room for profit and actually make the BRRR or flip work. It takes more effort up front than buying from a wholesaler, but that effort usually shows up as real equity on the back end.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 497 posts · 126 votes
8mo
I hear you — finding deals directly from sellers can be challenging, and wholesalers exist because sometimes it’s hard for investors to connect with owners quickly.
Out of curiosity: Are you looking for properties that are distressed, inherited, or just regular off-market opportunities? That usually changes the approach for sourcing them.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
The key most flippers miss: your profit is made at the buy, not the sell. I learned this the hard way on my third flip when I paid too much thinking I could make it up with a killer renovation. Spoiler: I couldn't. Now I use the 70% rule religiously and walk away from anything that doesn't hit my numbers upfront. What's your biggest challenge right now - finding deals or knowing when to walk away?