What’s Your Ideal Flip Timeline Right Now?

What’s Your Ideal Flip Timeline Right Now?

Real Estate Broker · Member since 2025 · 196 posts · 79 votes

With shifting market conditions, timelines can make or break margins.

What’s your target hold time for flips in today’s environment?

0Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2023 · 220 posts · 183 votes
7mo

Strong question! As a lender this is what I see that separates disciplined operators from gamblers.

In today’s environment (higher rates, longer DOM, tighter buyer demand), most experienced flippers I’m working with are targeting 90–120 days total hold time

Breakdown:
30–45 days renovation
30–60 days to sell + close

Anything pushing past 5–6 months starts compressing margins fast because:
Carry costs stack up
Buyer pool shrinks with price increases
Unexpected repair creep eats spread
Market sentiment can shift quickly

What I’m seeing right now:
Sub-$350k price points
Still moving fairly well if priced right. 90–120 days realistic.

$400k+ flips
More sensitive. Buyers are rate-conscious.
Plan for 120–150 days unless it’s a standout property.

Heavy rehabs
More risk right now. Timeline discipline is critical.

The real key:
It’s less about target hold time and more about buying with margin, conservative ARVs
and pricing aggressively at list.

In this market, I’d rather see someone take a slightly smaller profit while moving it in 90 days to recycle the capital fast, rather than hold out 6+ months for an extra $15–20k.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2023 · 220 posts · 183 votes
    7mo

    Strong question! As a lender this is what I see that separates disciplined operators from gamblers.

    In today’s environment (higher rates, longer DOM, tighter buyer demand), most experienced flippers I’m working with are targeting 90–120 days total hold time

    Breakdown:
    30–45 days renovation
    30–60 days to sell + close

    Anything pushing past 5–6 months starts compressing margins fast because:
    Carry costs stack up
    Buyer pool shrinks with price increases
    Unexpected repair creep eats spread
    Market sentiment can shift quickly

    What I’m seeing right now:
    Sub-$350k price points
    Still moving fairly well if priced right. 90–120 days realistic.

    $400k+ flips
    More sensitive. Buyers are rate-conscious.
    Plan for 120–150 days unless it’s a standout property.

    Heavy rehabs
    More risk right now. Timeline discipline is critical.

    The real key:
    It’s less about target hold time and more about buying with margin, conservative ARVs
    and pricing aggressively at list.

    In this market, I’d rather see someone take a slightly smaller profit while moving it in 90 days to recycle the capital fast, rather than hold out 6+ months for an extra $15–20k.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    I'm targeting 4.5 to 5.5 months from close to sale right now. That's about 3 weeks to mobilize, 10-12 weeks of actual work, then 2-3 weeks to sell. The sweet spot used to be 4 months but the market is moving slower, especially in the mid-price range where most flips live.

    What matters more than the timeline itself is having a backup plan. If you're stringing together multiple flips and one gets stuck on the market, it cascades. So I build in cushion now -- I'd rather close month 5 and feel ahead than stretch to month 6 and be underwater on holding costs.

    The math is brutal here. Every extra month costs you 1.5-2% of your profit in interest, taxes, and insurance. So if you're making 25k on a flip, month 5 is costing you 375-500 in holding costs alone. That's why timeline discipline matters more than ever.

    One thing that's changed my timeline: I'm pickier about market. If a property's in a neighborhood where inventory is sitting 60+ days, I either walk or radically reduce my offer. No point having a perfect flip if you can't move it. Are you seeing significant hold time differences between neighborhoods in your market?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    This is the real question right now. I used to target 4-5 months for a fix and flip, but 2026 is forcing a change. The holding costs (carrying costs, interest, carrying the property taxes) make speed critical. If you're carrying at 9-10% on hard money, every extra month costs you serious margin.

    What I've shifted to is planning backwards from the market. If inventory is tight and buyer demand is high, I compress the timeline aggressively -- even if it means paying premium labor rates for faster subs. The math usually works because you're not holding as long. But if inventory is sitting and selling slower, I'll actually stretch timeline and reduce labor costs, knowing I'll be holding longer anyway.

    The trap most flippers fall into is locking into an arbitrary 90-day or 120-day timeline when they should be asking: what's the market absorbing fastest right now? In my markets, 8-10 week flips are rare unless they're cosmetic only. 14-16 weeks is more realistic for value-add work, and you have to price the holding costs into your initial offer.

    The hardest part? Sticking to your timeline discipline. Every time a sub delays, there's pressure to speed-hire someone expensive. Every time something doesn't go to plan, you want to extend. Those decisions add up fast.

    Are you currently holding deals waiting for sale, or are you still in acquisition mode?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    90-120 days is the sweet spot if you can execute it, but honestly most flips don't because the timeline has to account for reality, not optimism. You need 30-45 days of actual renovation (not the contractor's estimate of 30 days), plus another 30-60 days to actually sell and close. But that's assuming zero delays, zero permit hiccups, zero buyer fall-throughs. In practice, add 15-25% contingency to that timeline.

    The bigger issue is pricing. A lot of flippers buy with a 120-day timeline but then overprice on the sell side trying to hit a specific profit target. Result: it sits for 90+ days at asking, then you end up dropping price 30-40 days later anyway. By then you've burned through carry costs and killed the deal. I'd rather see a property hit market aggressively priced for quick sale at day 45 of the rehab. Better to close at day 95 with a smaller profit than sit empty for 180 days trying to squeeze another 20k out of buyers who aren't willing to pay.

    Price points matter too. Sub-350k still has buyer demand if it's a solid flip. Above 400k, especially with rates where they are, you're fighting for a smaller buyer pool. That means either a longer timeline or a price cut. And heavy rehabs just have inherent timeline risk now -- materials, permits, trades all slower. I'm being more selective on those unless the numbers are stupid-good.

    What markets are you in, and what price range are your typical flips? That changes what timeline is actually achievable right now.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    6mo

    Travis nailed this. 90-120 days is the sweet spot right now, and I'm in that range on most deals. But here's where I push back slightly on the 00k+ commentary -- it's not really about the price point, it's about the exit strategy. Some 00k+ deals I'm moving in 100 days because I'm targeting investor buyers who close faster and don't care about financed details. Other deals at the same price are sitting because they need a residential buyer who needs financing and is rate-sensitive.

    What kills timelines worse than anything is not understanding your buyer profile before you reno. If you're flipping for owner-occupants, your timeline extends. If you're flipping for investors, you can move it faster but might leave money on the table. Decision needs to happen during underwriting, not during listing.

    My rule is 120 days maximum hold including close. If the market isn't moving it by day 90-100, I drop price 2-3% and move it. Every month of carry costs more than a quick close at slightly lower profit.

    One thing Travis mentioned that's critical -- don't get creative with time. If you're seeing pushback on timeline, it's usually a signal your numbers were off or your ARV was too optimistic.

    Are you guys seeing longer timelines hurt specific renovation types more than others in your markets?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    6mo

    I agree with @Travis Main completely -- the real discipline isn't hitting a specific timeline target, it's buying with enough margin that the timeline can slip without destroying your profit. I'd actually twist what he said slightly: I'm trying to buy with margin such that if a flip takes 180 days, I still make 12-15%. If it only takes 90 days, I'm in the 18-22% range.

    That flips the psychology. Instead of stressing about hitting 90-120 days, you can focus on what actually matters: did you buy right? Is the rehab estimate solid? Did you price it competitively without being desperate?

    The 30-60 days timeline is nice in theory, but here's the reality: rehabs almost always slip. Inspections take longer, buyers ask for credits, closing delays happen. If your math breaks at 150 days, you bought wrong. If it's still healthy at 180, you're in control.

    The market segmentation @Travis mentioned is real though. Sub-50k flips with cosmetic work are still moving fast in stable markets. Anything north of 00k or requiring heavy structural work -- that's a different animal and requires way more margin built in.

    What's your typical hold time recently, and are you mostly cosmetic rehabs or more complex projects?

  • Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 15 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kelly Schroeder:

    With shifting market conditions, timelines can make or break margins.

    What’s your target hold time for flips in today’s environment?




    From what we typically see with our borrowers, most flips are in and out around 6–7 months if the project runs smoothly. That usually breaks down to roughly 1–2 months for acquisition and planning, 3–4 months for the renovation depending on scope, and another month or so for listing and closing.

    Obviously it can stretch longer if permits drag or if the rehab is heavier, but a lot of experienced flippers we work with try to structure deals assuming about a 7-month hold so they have some buffer built in.

    In tighter markets lately, it also seems like more investors are prioritizing cleaner, faster projects over the heavier rehabs just to keep timelines predictable.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.