I am gonna start sprucing my house I live in up a bit soon. I was curious, as to where you guys buy your materials? Bassically any certain places where you might be able to find decent discounts?
Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
18y
I've found the contractor supply/building supply places are often much more competitive than HD and the other big boxes. The big boxes used to be known for their ability to offer "expert" advice because they hired directly from the trades. So a tradesman might earn 1/3 less working retail but he was working a full 40 hours a week, as opposed to losing time between jobs and weather delays.
When HD hired a CEO from GE (back in '00 IIRC) he looked at payroll and said to cut it, so today 1/2 the people in our HD could just as well be working as greeters at Wal-Mart.
It's often not the "big things" where they get you. I was doing a roof a couple of years ago and the shingles were the same price at our building supply as at HD. But the nails were about 40% less at the building supply.
I generally DON'T buy my paint at HD, go to Sherwin Williams, it costs more but it covers so much better that you'll be happier while you're working and after you're done.
BTW, on most jobs it's not the cost of material that does you in, it's LABOR. That's why I learned to do almost everything myself.
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. I do the work myself and I just wanted to see where you guys go so that when I start doing repairs and rehabs in the future that I am looking in the right places for good prices.
I have found some success on Craig's list. Was able to pick up some left over building supplies from a tired rehabber. Also, some folks who remodel big expensive houses sell their take outs. Several posts for nice cabinets < ten years old, fine for rental rehabs.
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Depends on a lot on what I need and when I might need it. There are some items that I can buy in bulk because I know that I will use them. The bulk items I often can find on ebay, craigslist or at contractor supply houses.
If I need general everyday parts, I might go to HD or some other big box store, but if it is more specialized i go to a contractor supply house specializing in that type of part. We have several good electrical supply, plumbing supply, hardwood and flooring stores.
If it is an older home or rental and I have time, I will check out several Reuse stores we have in our area. Sometimes you can find deals or find an older part to match an existing finish.
Most of the time when I purchase anything for my projects I go to my local Lowe's. I find that the HD near my location always seems to be out of stock of what I need, I am 0 for 3 so I just shop Lowe's. Like someone else stated, unless its something specialized, then I hit the local supply stores.
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Interesting that you say you like Lowes. I have found that Lowes has become more limited in what they carry catering to small do-it-yourself type projects. Home depot in my area carries a wider range of stock, but like you said I have seen them run short of commonly used parts.
IMO, it really depends on what I need. If I'm trying to repair a faucet I know not to go to the local box store that probably don't have what I need. If I need lumber or drywall then I will check out Lowes or Home depot.
Real Estate Investor · ElkPark, NC · Member since 2010 · 10 posts · 2 votes
16y
The price on the shelf might be cheaper at one of the big chains,but in my experience,if you are a regular customer at the smaller building supplies,they will discount everything you buy.Go into HD and ask them what kind of deal they can give you on something and they only have the authority to sell it as priced.The other guys will cut you a deal to keep your buisness.
Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
16y
I might not be the same because I have a managed account at HD, but my prices are always discounted through the pro desk. For most people off the street if you spend more than $2500 you can put in in the bid room. If you spend a lot of money and become a managed account your limit goes down to $1000. As long as I spend $1000/week the bid room stays open to me every day. Some things I save on and other things I dont. The local stores are great if you want advise, but if you want the best price stay with the big box.
Appliances from Lowe's, lumber from Menards, plumbing from Ferguson, and everything else from HD.
I've noticed Lowes is slightly cheaper on just about everything than Home Depot. They also mail out those coupons fairly often (save $10 on $50 purchase and save $25 on $250?) My neighbors would give me theirs, lol.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y
Just IMO, I get most of everything at Lowes, I've built houses out that store, they know me and when I'm getting something and I don't like the price, I ask my favorite manager and I get my deal. SImple, stuff is there. I also use habitat for humanity, depends on what it is and where it goes, but you just can't beat those prices. I got a Kohler one piece toilet low profile, a $700/800 toilet, brand new, for like $40.00! Alot of new stuff there in my local store. I have also used local niche suppliers, when mom & pop flooring companies can beat Lowes. This is something that should be shopped and shop for major stuff all the time to keep your favorite store honest! Great buying....
Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
16y
I agree with pretty much everything in this thread.
I only buy paint from Sherwin Williams because I get approximately 40% off (and because my painter really likes the paint).
Appliances I get from Lowes since they're the best prices.
For a rental, I always check the Habitat for Humanity ReStore first, then if I can't it there and it's somewhat common, I check Craigslist. In the worst case, it's a Home Depot purchase with a 10% off coupon.
Flooring I get from a carpet wholesaler.
Appliances for rentals come from Craigslist or fellow landlords looking to dispose of them (usually get 'em for free from other landlords).
All other general materials come from Home Depot with a 10% off coupon. If it's a large order over $2,500 I always send it to the bid room. Sometimes they'll even let me send it if it's around $2,000. It really helps to know the local store managers and staff.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
I've heard really good things about the Habitat store. Though, I haven't had a chance to take a trip there recently. I guess it really depends on what you're looking for - I've heard you can find some really good stuff there. In general, I usually go to Home Depot or Lowes (I don't do all that much rehab work). There are some other really good suggestions here. Hope that helps!