Rehabbing & General Contractor Licenses in Georgia

Rehabbing & General Contractor Licenses in Georgia

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 299 votes

I am interested to know if most seasoned rehabbers out there require a Contractor you wish to contract to provide their General Contractor's license information and federal tax ID as part of the contract?  The reason I ask is that I assumed this would be a no-brainer - anyone that is rehabbing and pulling Permits in Georgia must be licensed; however, I am getting some pushback.  Am I talking to unscrupulous contractors, or is there a valid reason not to provide this information?  Thank you! 

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @David Begley The challenge in Georgia is a license is required to do the certain type of work legally.  However, the license doesn't make them qualified or worth working with.  

    Permitting requirements vary by governing body.  However, permitting is a great way to make sure the work is done to a standard.  

    I've learned the hard way, it's best to do get permits and have the contractor's license on file for doing the work properly.  

    Rick

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 325 posts · 335 votes
    12y

    Sounds like some funny business!  We do a TON of work in Atlanta and happy to help with some quality contractor referrals! Feel free to give me a buzz sometime. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.