Big box store employees

Big box store employees

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

I was wondering, how does the big box stores like The Home Depot or Lowes hire their "tech" people?

I mean, if you work at the plumbing aisle and are giving out advice to DIYers aren't they suppose to have some clue on the subject matter?  I mean, just SOME clue?  I will give several examples that happened just within the last few days that has me shaking my head.

At The Home Depot, I was looking in the plumbing section for a 3/4" copper male adapter.  I saw the box, it's empty, I asked the guy with the orange apron walking by, he waved over "Ron" the expert, and I asked Ron if he has any more 3/4" male adapters, he looked and grabbed a sharkbite and said "this is better".  I told him I prefer a rigid connection and I don't use sharkbites unless it's a temp fix or too close quarter to solder.  He said "its code approved..." and he never really helped me look for the 3/4" male adapter I was asking.  At the same time someone else also needed his advice and he got distracted.  I overheard the other guy asked him what the difference is between the two PVC elbows in his hands.  In one hand he had a 1-1/2" PVC elbow for pressure pipes and the other hand a 1-1/2" elbow for drains, the guy was asking Ron if there is any difference.  Ron told him the pressure pipe version is more "solid" because it allows to be under pressure.  After Ron left I explained to the guy what the real difference is, which is the drain version has a sweep that makes it possible to snake, and the inside diameter of the drain fitting guarantees a smooth integral bore for gravity draining when connected.

A day or so later I was at the same Home Depot looking for a 20A double pole switch in the electrical section.  It is marked on the shelf but nothing sitting on the shelf there.  Checked the ivory switch shelf, same thing, white switch shelf, same...hmmm...asked the expert again.  He looked at the shelf label, and told me he would be right back.  A few minutes later he came back with a handheld device.  OH good, they can check inventory on this.  He pointed the device to the label on the shelf, and it scanned.  Then he looked at the screen and said "its 705905".  So he backed a few steps and looked up above where they piled boxes and boxes and said "look for label 705905" if it's up there then yes we have more, if not then we are out.  WAIT, so that device is not linked to their inventory system?  You have to manually look up at the hundreds of boxes and see if there are more?  I could read from the label on the shelf it's 705905, what was the point of getting that device?  To convert the bar code to 705905 which is written in small print on the label in the first place?

So one of my tenants complained that the ceiling fan has a mild "hum" noise.  I went and looked at it.  Yep, a really faint hun when the fan is on.  Not easy to notice but once you do, it can get annoying.  I wanted to make sure it's not the fan speed control dimmer switch, so I disconnected it and hard wired the conductors, same thing.  So it's the fan.   Seems to have the same noise forward and reverse,   I move the fan slightly off the bracket and seat it back down in different positions, same thing.  It's a Hampton Bay "Midili" model and I have about six of these in different units, so I went home and looked at the warranty information and it says LIFE TIME WARRANTY on motors and 1 year on other things.  Not sure if it's motor, sounds more electrical but who knows.

Next day I called the Home Depot store I bought it from, spoke to them and they said come in to the store.  I went to the store and spoke to the customer service, they told me to talk to the electrical expert in aisle 9, oh boy...I did as suggested.  He said "hmmm...you need to talk to 1-800-HomeDepot", and he asked "did you get this fan from Home Depot?"  Now, we were standing in the ceiling fan section, next to a shelf with dozens of this fan which I told him is what I have.  This is a "Hampton Bay" fan, it's a Home Depot brand, they don't sell it anywhere else!  Where did I get it?

So, I called 1-800-HomeDepot.  After a few press 1, press 4, press 6, press 0, I got to someone who is the Hampton Bay advisor.  She asked me when I installed the fan.  I told her I honestly don't remember because I bought six of them over a period of time and I don't know which one was installed when, but it's between 1 and 3 years.

She then asked me to give her the UPC number off the fan.  I said where is the UPC number?  She said right on the canopy of the fan.  OK I am not there right now, is the UPC essential, can I give you the brand and model?  It's a Hampton Bay "MIDILI" fan, can you get the UPC from the brand-model?  She said she "doesn't have internet" and their internal system is based on UPC.  Okay now I need the UPC.  I said I will get the UPC in a few days when I stop back at the property.  I went back later and could not find a UPC on the canopy, not on the fan body, I even used a mirror to look on the top side of a fan body and the inside of the canopy, nothing...I called back and said no UPC number can be found, but I have the brand, model name, model number, internet number, sku number...would any of those work?  Nope, must have UPC number to further assist me.  I said OK, I have spent more than $100 so far on my time which is more than the price of a new fan so it's no longer cost effective to trouble shoot the UPC number.  Thank you.

2Reply
126 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 171 posts · 116 votes
11y

They should be required by law to say "Im just here to stock the shelves"

I have found more experienced staff at Menards, Ace and Do it Best...  Not sure if you have any of these retailers in your area but they seem to have better employees.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    6y

    you cant buy cheap garbage from HD and expect the minimum wage earning employees there to have a full Working knowledge of a trade. Think about it if someone knew every little piece of info about the plumbing isle they'd be better off working as a plumber than a retail worker. 

    If you go to acutal plumbing supply house most employees there are more knowledgeable but even still shouldn't be 100% trusted. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    you cant buy cheap garbage from HD and expect the minimum wage earning employees there to have a full Working knowledge of a trade. Think about it if someone knew every little piece of info about the plumbing isle they'd be better off working as a plumber than a retail worker. 

    If you go to acutal plumbing supply house most employees there are more knowledgeable but even still shouldn't be 100% trusted. 

    Completely agree, George. There is a mind-boggling difference between what you can make in retail employment selling home improvement versus what you can make in the real world improving homes. There's absolutely no way store employment anywhere under any circumstances, including owning the store, can compete for competent guys in today's real estate environment.

    Home Depot's general business model is to hire young people who might be teachable, teach them the basics of each trade, and put them on the floor. Alternatively, they try to do a good thing and hire veterans and ex-trade professionals who have done this work in the past but don't have the physical ability to do this work anymore. Those people tend not to rise into management.

    I am literally just a handyman, initially taught by, yes, some exacting old skool pros overseas, then I came over, took a break, and learned a lot of stuff myself. I'm not a specialist. Never been to a trade school. I have no formal plumbing or electrical training. I'm an on-again, off-again PA-registered home improvement contractor depending on whether I have a building permit running that requires me to have a contractor's license. While I do have a high school diploma and a college degree, I don't actually need them for what I do.

    Yet right now, I'd have to chop off a hand before I considered working at Home Depot or anywhere else for anything less than $100K a year.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    6y

    Ditto to "if they had any real knowledge they'd be out there building". Sadly, this does sometimes change in hard times when experienced guys will take any job.  Commenting to some stuff way upthread, install the HD & Lowes apps on your phone and never have to track down a drone to ask where something is or whether its in stock. Sometimes you can even find spec sheets and install instructions there online.

    Regarding the tale of the humming fan, besides the fact that I think it's normal for a fan on slower speed, if you have a HD account you can have them email you a receipt for every single purchase! I have an email filter that just throws them into a HD folder, so if I need it for a return I always have it on me.  Lowes has not gotten aboard this yet.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    6y

    WOW, this thread is still going after 5 years.  I was the OP and it seems like the discussions has evolved to wondering why big box store employees are not more knowledgeable in the specific trades.

    Let me clarify, my original question asked of an employee was very simple, is item #XXXXXX in stock?  As it's NOT on the shelf where it's supposed to be.  That's really all I need help with.  I need a specific item, and I can't find them where they are supposed to be.  Of course you check store inventory online and it says it has 50 of them, the question is where.  In the staging area in the back?  Up high on the shelves?  Incorrectly placed somewhere else on the shelves?  No I don't ask a HD employee how to do this or that.  No reason to.  But then again, they should VOLUNTEER incorrect information or knowledge to customers.  If they don't know, they don't know, don't misdirect or misinform customers.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Johann Jells:

    Regarding the tale of the humming fan, besides the fact that I think it's normal for a fan on slower speed, if you have a HD account you can have them email you a receipt for every single purchase! I have an email filter that just throws them into a HD folder, so if I need it for a return I always have it on me.  Lowes has not gotten aboard this yet.

    I have receipts.  They were not looking for receipts.  They wanted the UPC code of the fan itself (that's not on the receipt) which is a sticker on top of the actual fan body, which you cannot see unless you get on a ladder with a down facing mirror, I had the model number, model name etc...which should be sufficient.  Then they asked me where I bought the fan from, which is laughable, because the fan is a Home Depot label, it's not sold anywhere else.

    As for the humming, it's not normal.  I have had fans from Hunter, Monte Carlo, and even other Hampton Bay fans of the same model without any issue.  Sometimes if you use a "universal" dual wall control, and the motor load control can be incompatible with the speed control you can have a humming on the actual dimmer itself.  This happens a lot with four speed fans such as those made by A Modern Fan Company, and if you use a cheap 3 speed control on the wall you get issues but if you get the compatible $90 AMFC 4 speed control, no problem.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sam Leon:
    Originally posted by @Johann Jells:

    Regarding the tale of the humming fan, besides the fact that I think it's normal for a fan on slower speed, if you have a HD account you can have them email you a receipt for every single purchase! I have an email filter that just throws them into a HD folder, so if I need it for a return I always have it on me.  Lowes has not gotten aboard this yet.

    I have receipts.  They were not looking for receipts.  They wanted the UPC code of the fan itself (that's not on the receipt) which is a sticker on top of the actual fan body, which you cannot see unless you get on a ladder with a down facing mirror, I had the model number, model name etc...which should be sufficient.  Then they asked me where I bought the fan from, which is laughable, because the fan is a Home Depot label, it's not sold anywhere else.

    As for the humming, it's not normal.  I have had fans from Hunter, Monte Carlo, and even other Hampton Bay fans of the same model without any issue.  Sometimes if you use a "universal" dual wall control, and the motor load control can be incompatible with the speed control you can have a humming on the actual dimmer itself.  This happens a lot with four speed fans such as those made by A Modern Fan Company, and if you use a cheap 3 speed control on the wall you get issues but if you get the compatible $90 AMFC 4 speed control, no problem.

    I have fans that hum using the pull chain, no wall control. Don't know what to say.  I just double checked a receipt, the code at the beginning of the item line IS THE PRODUCT'S UPC CODE! I think you had dimwit on the line or what they wanted wasn't actually the UPC but some other secret product control bar code.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.