After buying a SF can I immediately purchse a Multifamily?

After buying a SF can I immediately purchse a Multifamily?

Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes

After buying a home, how soon can I go to a local bank to get qualified to purchase a multifamily home? I currently own/owner occupy a duplex that has no mortgages and I plan to refinance it to purchase other multifamily after buying a single family home in a month. All ideas and advice are greatly apperciated. 

2Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
11y

As long as you still meet their debt to income requirements with your new debt (new mortgage) you can go immediately.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    As long as you still meet their debt to income requirements with your new debt (new mortgage) you can go immediately.

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    11y

    @James Wise thanks James. How do I go about analyzing rental properties correctly (Income - Expense) I find myself lost searching for the taxes(school, property, borough), insurance, and mortgage payments 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ayodeji Kuponiyi:

    @James Wise thanks James. How do I go about analyzing rental properties correctly (Income - Expense) I find myself lost searching for the taxes(school, property, borough), insurance, and mortgage payments 

     To do a quick calculation on a rental property I would do the following.

    Rents are 1k/mo. Assume that at least 6k per year will go towards your expenses. Repairs, vacancy, non payment, evictions, CapEx etc.

    Now we have 6k per year. After that back out your yearly debt service. The money left over is what your a making off of your rental every year.

    Will every year always be exactly like this? Absolutely not. Will every property run the same? Absolutely not. The nicer the property the lower the expenses. The lesser the property & tenant quality the higher expenses. In the long run the numbers generally work out to be around this number. 

  • Engineer · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I'm closing on 2 homes on 2-25 and one more 3-27. There really is not turn around requirement.

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    11y

    @James Wise I'm considering buying a multifamily(renovated) in the Philly area due to the fact I will only pay property tax as oppose to the neighboring burbs where I pay too much taxes (school and borough). I find it difficult make a decent cash flow. I collect $900 rent and I'm considering increasing rent $20 more dollars next lease term. What do you think?

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Ayodeji Kuponiyi I live in Philly, as well. I rented a 4BR SF home in Northern Liberties, where that young girl was tragically shot for her purse in fall of 2013. We paid $2700/month in rent. Not sure what your property's like but $900 seems like a heck of a deal on rent.
  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed My property is a duplex in Lansdowne, PA. Great location. I'm planning on moving out of my unit soon. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ayodeji Kuponiyi:

    @James Wise I'm considering buying a multifamily(renovated) in the Philly area due to the fact I will only pay property tax as oppose to the neighboring burbs where I pay too much taxes (school and borough). I find it difficult make a decent cash flow. I collect $900 rent and I'm considering increasing rent $20 more dollars next lease term. What do you think?

    I'm not familiar with your area but if comparible properties are going for $920 It seems like a reasonable plan to me.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    11y

    @Ayodeji Kuponiyi ...Way to keep it moving!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.